• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpieces - different diameters - different purposes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Mouthpieces - different diameters - different purposes Reply with quote

Hello

I have diligently tried to stick with one cup diameter as advised for my whole playing.
But, I tend to observe, that for different purposes, different diameters work well too.
From a 5C to a 1 1/4 C-> better sound ( even if endurance and stamina lack a bit )
From a 5S to a smaller ->better focus ( lack of soft low register )

Every mouthpiece is a compromise.

I found it difficult to switch, but as nowadays I only play in one setting per week/month, I have time to acclimate to a different diameter.

How do you handle this ?

Best

JiCe
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get into Curry mouthpieces so you can have several different designs with the exact same rim amd diameter?
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean to ask how to acclimate to switching between different rim sizes, or whether you should stick to a single rim size?

Acclimating to switching can be made easier by incorporating the different setups in your daily practice. Just like how some people practice switch between Bb trumpet, C trumpet, flugel and piccolo, you could practice switching between mouthpieces in a similar way I imagine.

That also applies to whether you should use a single rim size or not: it’s not a rule that forbids you from using whatever gear you deem suitable to your needs, so determine what works for you and play that. Some folks can switch between trumpet and trombone, which is a lot bigger rim size difference.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally play around 16.5 to 16.7 mm diameters and have found that I like very round rims best. As long as I stay with these two parameters I have no issues switching. Cup depth does not seem to make much of a difference (unless I go to extremes, either very shallow like the GR SZ or very deep like the GR FD cups).

After a few years of practicing I even switch between a tenor trombone mouthpiece and a trumpet piece with no issue.

As for how I handle it: I have one mouthpiece that matches one instrument best and as I rotate between my instruments during practice I also automatically switch mouthpiece.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: