• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where does my Bach Strad Reverse Leadpipe 43 stack up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a message to M/K directly a few days ago. I'll paste what I sent them, but suffice to say that I've already taken that first step to reach out to them for their recommendations.

The body of my message to M/K for my horn:

I find that in the upper register, I have a hard time staying in the slots above a high E. My range can go up to about a double A or so, but I struggle with consistently finding in the slots and staying in them in that range. I also feel that certain notes are harder to center on (high C being one of them). Lastly, the sound I get could be a little more focused and brilliant as well as a littler darker. I have plenty of volume, but I feel that I can tend to have a bit of an unfocused sound, and the band leader consistently asks me to "sing more" on the solo parts or featured lead sections. Part of it is my setup with a high compression lead mouthpiece (currently the bobby shew lead, or Schilke 14 A4a), but I've always had a bit of that with this horn going back to my high school days even on more conventional mouthpieces. I grew up with teachers that focused on getting a lot of air through the horn, so I have a learned tendency to overblow. I'm trying to play more efficiently and not overblow as much, but my current setup feels a little stuffy at times and I would welcome a horn that blows more free than the stock setup, especially in the upper register.

I don't know what tuning slides you would recommend based on my comments above, but I would be interested in trying a rounded or semi-rounded leadpipe without a brace (or another configuration based on your experience) to push my horn into a more commercial direction beyond where it already is from the factory.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to learn how the combination of 'stronger high range slotting' and 'more free blowing' can be achieved.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
markag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the elements may seem to be opposites, but I still listed out what I would want.

As it is today, I can play and slot notes above a high E but the combination of my horn, MP, and my ability can make it a bit squirrely in that upper register. I'm just as likely to crack the note by jumping up to a higher pitch as I am to jump down.
blownchops

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markag wrote:

I find that in the upper register, I have a hard time staying in the slots above a high E. My range can go up to about a double A or so, but I struggle with consistently finding in the slots and staying in them in that range. I also feel that certain notes are harder to center on (high C being one of them).

When you say High E, do you mean the 4th space E in the treble clef, or 3rd ledger line above E? I have some ideas/suggestions about your horn, but I want to know what range we are talking to make sure I am giving good advice.
markag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd ledger line above the staff. Above that, the it can sometimes be harder to slot into a note. I can still usually slot into an F above the 3rd ledger line E, but double G and A can really be hard to land on for me and stay in the slot.

In that situation, my natural instinct is to blow harder which either causes me to bottom out in the MP, or it increases the feel of resistance and makes it harder to stay in the slot. Thats where my comment about wanting a horn that feels more free in that range comes from. When I get in the slot without overblowing, notes in that range really sound great and feel great.
blownchops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markag wrote:
3rd ledger line above the staff. Above that, the it can sometimes be harder to slot into a note. I can still usually slot into an F above the 3rd ledger line E, but double G and A can really be hard to land on for me and stay in the slot.

In that situation, my natural instinct is to blow harder which either causes me to bottom out in the MP, or it increases the feel of resistance and makes it harder to stay in the slot. Thats where my comment about wanting a horn that feels more free in that range comes from. When I get in the slot without overblowing, notes in that range really sound great and feel great.

Okay, that is a range where many horns struggle to play well in. There are a few horns I would recommend for you, but its not the modern boutique horn route.

I would look at an a Benge CG (or MLP) an older King Silver Flair, Yamaha 8335LA or a Kanstul French Besson. These were all horns that were/are known for good slotting in the high range, especially the benge CG.

There is also a common fallacy that to play high a horn needs to be super open and freeblowing. Many people do better in the ranges that you are describing on more specialized equipment that provides a bit of resistance to blow against, like the Yamaha Shew series or the Jupiter 1600I.

Finally, if you are really looking to spend some cash, I would take a gander at just buying an old martin committee. They were originally billed as high note horns, and the ones I have played did well up there.

Regarding what you see on youtube or wherever on Bach not being pro level, that's bunk. Bach are the most commonly used pro trumpet brand in the world. I am not a top flight pro by any means, but I make some decent money off the horn. I see a ton of bach and yamaha with the occasional benge, getzen or schilkie in the mix. I almost never see boutique horns on a gig, and I have played a ton. Some gigs I use a bach, some I dont, but the idea that your bach is not a pro model is incorrect. Go take a listen to Josh G with lucky chops if you do not believe that your specific model bach is not a horn used by pros.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: