• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Got my Bach 72* Blueprinted Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Got my Bach 72* Blueprinted Review Reply with quote

My Bach 72* trumpet 81XXX has been back from Osmun about two weeks and it's been enough time to evaluate the effect of blueprinting. First off, this trumpet was purchased new in 1974 at Giardinelli's in NYC and has served me well over the years pf college and gigging. It has seen plenty of use and some abuse over the 48 years I've played it.

Upon unpacking, it sparkled like it was new again from the chem clean, the first one it had ever received. In addition, the receiver was worn out and replaced. Also there was an issue with the leadpipe that was resolved. A PVA was done and badly needed according to Jim Becker, along with deburring the tuning slide and rounding out the bell bow.

I've been working on becoming more efficient as I approach 70 and the blueprinting has really aided that. It just made playing easier and fewer days of the trumpet playing me. Not having to work so hard has been a major benefit. I was able to go through a consecutive big band rehearsal, playing lead, and concert band without feeling fatigued. The notes slot better in every register and most notably above high C. I feel more confident and relaxed when playing and can focus more on making music rather than technical execution.

Jim was great in calling me and going over the work needed. He really made a positive difference in how my trumpet responds and I'm a happy camper.
Getzen 896S 4 valve Flugelhorn
Getzen 940S Piccolo
Getzen Elkhorn valve/slide Trombone
Patrick Mouthpieces CR84S-CM27. 12.3C
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Becker does terrific work. He also provides useful and timely information: You know what is going on with your horn, options for addressing any issues, estimated costs, timelines, etc.

He blueprinted a Bach 19043 for me a while back. I can't objectively compare before and after, but I will say that he took a horn I already liked a lot, and made everything feel absolutely "right" about it.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 19043 too, which I purchased new and am very happy with. It's a relatively new model in Bach's line-up: did you send it for blueprinting right "out of the box," so to speak?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
did you send it for blueprinting right "out of the box," so to speak?

I owned my 19043 for just a few weeks before I sent it to Osmun Music. There is risk to sending a horn that you already like to be "improved," but I've come to believe that Jim Becker can bring out the very best in any horn. I have no way to quantify what is better now about a horn that was already terrific, but I do feel like it is a bit more vibrant/resonant, and has a slightly more open blow.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dayton. That's helpful. I'd already been thinking about having my Bach LT180S72 blueprinted, since it came to me in used (though excellent) condition. However, I hadn't considered sending in the 19043.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim19043 wrote:
I have a Bach 19043 too, which I purchased new and am very happy with. It's a relatively new model in Bach's line-up: did you send it for blueprinting right "out of the box," so to speak?

------------------------------------------
Here are my thoughts and suggestions about the need / value of 'blueprinting'.

Sometimes there are aspects of how a horn is built or set-up at the factory that are within their QC criteria, but that doesn't mean they are at their best.

It could be small variance of valve alignment, not completely removing solder 'lumps' from inside tubing, slides not moving perfectly, etc.

A skilled technician can fix and adjust those things - aka blueprinting it.

As for you determining whether it would be worth it, there are 2 main paths.
1) Spend the money and take/send it for evaluation, cost estimate, etc.
2) Do your own play-testing evaluation about whether it's fine as-is, or that there are things you'd like to be better.

For play testing, I suggest there items
1) All the mechanical parts should move and function properly.
2) There shouldn't be any obvious 'bad notes'.
3) The 'blowing resistance' through the horn should be fairly consistent with all the valve combinations.
4) The 'sound quality' with all the valve combinations should be fairly consistent. Notice if some combinations are very clear and crisp, and some are a little fuzzy or 'off'.
5) If you pay attention to how the horn is working, listen carefully, and have never had thoughts about 'gee, that seems off' - then don't worry about it!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Jay! Thanks for the specific suggestions.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Becker is one of the greats! I have sent several horns to Osmun and Jim and am very pleased with his work. I have recommended to many of my colleagues as well, and those that have followed through have been extremely happy with the results.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I think blueprinting a new horn is trying to "prove" the negative. If the horn's working fine, whether or not blueprinting would enhance it further, is purely speculative.

I used to get my horns routinely blueprinted to remove all doubt. That was when I had plenty of disposable (for equipment) income. I don't have that so much now, so am more particular if I "need" a blueprint or not. Now my operative phrase is the old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't considered hijacking this thread but seems like the place to give my review/experience with blueprinting as well.

I had a great late 70's ML 37 that was one of the best I've come across. Even though it worked so well I had a project I wanted to try of putting a 229 Philly C bell on it to match the sound and core of my Bach Philly C. I had run into one of these configurations on consignment in a shop and loved it but it was a pretty worn out old horn. I had the 229 mounted and the sound was fantastic but the horn was really uneven.

I ended up sending it in for blueprinting. The horn I got back was exactly what Jim said. Same sound but far more open, even and responsive. In the end I still missed the roominess of the 37 bell and had it remounted and now have the best 37 I've ever played (experiment concluded!).

When I think of all the money spent over the years on mouthpieces, leadpipes, bells etc I can now say Osmuns blueprinting service is easily worth the cost and would recommend it to anyone looking to improve a so-so horn or even a great player.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two horns blueprinted by Jim and a third that had a valve job. Excellent work with each. Blueprinting is definitely worth the time and money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: