• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is Be for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a comeback player that has problem that I think the BE might solve. My embouchure is very inconsistent. I can normally play up to a high F when my embouchure is in the right position but if I start playing in the middle to low register I either drop my jaw slightly, or do something , and then I have trouble playing a clear G above the staff and any range beyond that sounds and feels forced. When I concentrate on my embouchure & breathing I can produce a beautiful tone and crisp, clear notes above the register. However, when I start losing focus I get into trouble. Besides not knowing what I am doing I also realize that in order to become musical I need to be able to play without concentrating on techniques. Do you think the BE would work for someone with my problems?

Thanks!

Mike
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for me after 20 years of playing on a faulty (i.e. open) embouchure setting.

barry
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Mike!

Absolutely... Call me!

Best always,
Bruce
tclement
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began BE a few weeks ago and have had a some interesting events the past 2 days. While practicing Roll-in #1, I have found that I can produce tones from E (above the staff) to somewhere around double C. The notes are pretty clear and loud. the pitch is somewhat unstable, I can alter it with minimal air pressure or lip movement. In fact I haven't been able to produce anything lower than a high C.

There are several remarkable things I should mention:

1. In normal playing, I struggle to play C's above the staff. I shy away from songs/solos that have any notes above the staff.
2. I've been playing these high, clear loud notes by holding the horn with one hand in somewhat of a limited-pressure grip I learned from Pops. This makes me a believer that high notes are a product of technique and not force.
3. Several days ago I was contemplating ditching BE because I though it was causing negative affects on my regular embouchure. I believe I was not waiting long enough after doing the roll-out excercises before beginning my normal practicing.
4. Since I began BE, I have received complements from church members about my playing. I don't know the reason, other than these complements came after beginning BE.

I'm very excited to see what the rest of the BE excercises can do for me !!!!

Tim

[ This Message was edited by: tclement on 2004-01-11 22:44 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I am going to pick it up from Bruce. As many of you know when we started taking lessons or started band at school (in the 60's) there was little, if any, instruction on a correct embouchure. Most band directors didn't know and many trumpet teachers had a rudimentary understanding of what is and what is not correct. So Barry, I am probably like you I have been playing on a faulty and inconsisten embouchure for sometime now. I look forward to working with it.

Mike
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late sixties I was having a discussion about the physical aspects of brass music with a very dedicated young player. Though studying with a trumpeter featured with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, he was lamenting the lack of brass educators who could teach the fundamentals of proper embouchure development. All through high school and college this vital concern was never addressed.

His quest for the trumpeter's Holy Grail not withstanding, my friend eventually got his act together, became a monster player and went on the road with Woody Herman. If a young player has issues with stamina, tone production, range, ect., the Balanced Embouchure is a great place to find the information that was unavailable in the past.
Good luck!

barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: