• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE - Roll In and Teeth Alignment

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BE Explorers

Fear
I have already put my hand up to #fear of appearance. Another I would add to your list Jeff is #Imposter syndrome. As a late comer picking up horn wrong side of 50 I find this maybe my hardest one to overcome!

Coding
Trumpetingbynurture you wrote
Quote:
Unfortunately, it can take months or years to realize what random little piece of code in the brain is throwing up an error. It's usually completely invisible to ourselves and can take months for even the most perceptive teacher to realize what is really happening.

I agree with you that there is infinite random coding going on but the way I see it the BE exercises are designed to ensure you are constantly writing good coding (that will overwrite bad coding when required) which moves you in the Balanced Embouchure direction.

TOL
Pretty much my highest note is a C above the staff - and that's only about 4 months old for me but I can now tongue it squarely with Tip of tongue - for me an indicator that I am beginning to own the note.

Stay safe - Steve in Helsinki.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
All this is to say that not only is there so much information out there of varying degrees of usefulness that it's hard to know which ones to take in, it's also hard to know which ones to toss out.

That's true about life in general. A useful frame of reference is needed. From a trumpet pedagogy perspective, the most useful frame of reference is one that promotes and maintains progress over the widest possible student population. In my experience, that is where BE excels.

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
The funny thing to me is that old adage "trumpet playing is 95% mental". Usually said as though having 95% of what makes for success be an invisible process is somehow supposed to make things easier not harder...

I think that it is said to discourage players from focusing too much on physical processes. However, I agree that merely saying it doesn't exactly inspire hope. If 95% of playing is mental ( I don't disagree) then there must be mental constraints at work which are impeding progress. How does one resolve these internal conflicts? Vague terms like "analysis = paralysis" throw out the baby with the bathwater. Analysis can certainly be too narrow (or off track), but a general analysis is often helpful and part of the solution.

Jeff
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some real nuggets in this thread, thanks for sharing these insights, Jeff!

Ko
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: