• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve guard

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Valve guard Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I have experienced that a valve guard
I had made the valve casing go black.
It did not protect the valve block, instead
it "attacked" it!

Can anyone recommend a valve guard that
won´t destroy silver plating?

Regards/Sofus

Bud Herseth 1977 in Hamar, Norway

Mouthpiece and Solidarity
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black is just tarnish, it should polish away...if you keep the guard on there all the time this will happen.
Remove it every time you finish playing and wipe down horn, the silver will stay shiny.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use a valve guard.. as you say they really only make things worse, unless you take them off frequently. But then what's the point.

How about just wiping off the trumpet, with a soft cloth, when you're done playing? Or holding one in your hand, like Satchmo?
Cotton glove on your left hand?

IMO there are much better solutions to the problem. Not to mention the feeling that a valve guard deadens the sound a bit.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a valve guard on my C solely because all the sliver plate has worn off the valve casing, and it's now raw brass. It kind of has a gross feeling when I hold it, but thanks to the valve guard, I don't have to always feel that. For performances and auditions though, I never use valve guards. After discussing this with Wayne Tanabe of Yamaha, they do noticeably take away from the resonance of the instrument.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the idea that a valve guard noticeably deadens the sound and/or noticeably detracts from the resonance of the horn strains logic. It's a nice theory but what is the reality?

A valve guard weighs maybe an ounce and puts no significant pressure on the valve casings. That being the case, how would a valve guard in and of itself dampen the sound or resonance of a horn to any noticeable degree?

Compare that to your left hand, something that grips the valve casings and is attached to however much you weigh. If a valve guard dampens the sound and resonance of a horn by a factor of 1 then your left hand dampens the sound and resonance by a factor of at least 10,000.

So, maybe we should be holding our trumpet only with our right hand?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I think that the idea that a valve guard noticeably deadens the sound and/or noticeably detracts from the resonance of the horn strains logic. It's a nice theory but what is the reality?

A valve guard weighs maybe an ounce and puts no significant pressure on the valve casings. That being the case, how would a valve guard in and of itself dampen the sound or resonance of a horn to any noticeable degree?

Compare that to your left hand, something that grips the valve casings and is attached to however much you weigh. If a valve guard dampens the sound and resonance of a horn by a factor of 1 then your left hand dampens the sound and resonance by a factor of at least 10,000.

Have you ever put a grime gutter on a trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn? Such a small thing has a noticeable affect.. I demonstrate this blindly to many of my students ( predominantly high schoolers and younger), most if not all, notice the difference.
A valve guard is in contact with signigicanly more surface area than your hand.. has to have some impact - whether you can hear it or not.

When was the last time you saw one of the top players with a valve guard? I've been on stage with hundreds of different players - can't say I've ever seen one.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

Have you ever put a grime gutter on a trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn? Such a small thing has a noticeable affect.. I demonstrate this blindly to many of my students ( predominantly high schoolers and younger), most if not all, notice the difference.
A valve guard is in contact with signigicanly more surface area than your hand.. has to have some impact - whether you can hear it or not.

When was the last time you saw one of the top players with a valve guard? I've been on stage with hundreds of different players - can't say I've ever seen one.

In a double blind test listening to a statistically relevant number of blind comparisons I don't think any sensible person would bet their life on having a consistently unfailing ability to instantly discern a difference (if any) in the sound caused by a grime gutter or by a valve guard. This is not to mention the question of whether a listener would think the sound is compromised or the sound is improved, both results being possible depending on the subjective criteria of the listener.

My problem with things like this isn't about the potential of a change affecting something. In theory, any change changes something (although the change may not be audible or otherwise discernable). My problem is with the overstated attention given to things which are insignificant within the totality of all things involving the trumpet.

If a top player performed with a valve guard and/or a grime gutter could you tell? Would you bet your life in a double blind test listening to a statistically relevant number of blind comparisons?

The difference between a skilled and proficient player compared to an unskilled and nonproficient player has never come down to the question of use or lack of use of a grime gutter or a valve guard. It's much ado about nothing. Just my opinion.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i'm maybe wrong, but i think that when experts like Wayne Tanabe express such an advice, it's for some reasons; they use to test various combinations to optimize horns, improve them from a model to the next one, change very little things that make differences... so it'd not be strange that he or his colleagues have made experiments on valve guards, to get a more scientific advice than one's feeling (and one's feeling matters).
Best
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard various little things affect the sound of horns over the past few years, so I'm not ready to dismiss the effect of anything, insignificant as it may seem. On my Olds, the addition of a lyre severely hampers the sound, to the point that the other trumpeters noticed it as well (on my Getzen the lyre has no effect at all). On the Getzen, the bottom valve caps were screwed on so tightly that loosening them improved the sound. On the Olds, no effect. There are people that reverse their 2nd valve slides or loosened/tightened the screw on their adjustable trigger ring...didn't do anything for my trumpets, but apparently it did for theirs. Not every small detail affects every horn, but I'll accept that some things prove true for some players/trumpets. So who knows, maybe the valve guard does something?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyDavids wrote:
The black is just tarnish, it should polish away...if you keep the guard on there all the time this will happen.
Remove it every time you finish playing and wipe down horn, the silver will stay shiny.

I had a mark from a grime gutter on my silver C. Wrights and TarniShield were both unable to fully remove it. The aluminum foil method did slightly better but also did not remove the mark.

This is just to add a little caution. Depending on how deep the tarnish goes you could end up going through the plating. Especially if you use an abrasive silver polish. (Wright’s and TarniShield are on the least abrasive end of the spectrum)
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello
i'm maybe wrong, but i think that when experts like Wayne Tanabe express such an advice, it's for some reasons; they use to test various combinations to optimize horns, improve them from a model to the next one, change very little things that make differences... so it'd not be strange that he or his colleagues have made experiments on valve guards, to get a more scientific advice than one's feeling (and one's feeling matters).
Best

Expressing advice is nowhere near the same as presenting reliable experimental data. I’ve seen other claims attributed to this individual - actual cork vs. synthetic water key corks influencing ‘resonance and projection’ comes to mind. We have no way of knowing whether or not this person has made these claims. Perhaps they will chime in. Until then... HUGE grain of salt...
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large collection of horns and prefer hand guards, but I only use the ones with a felt backing of some sort that keeps the leather from the metal. They are thicker, but I have really big hands anyway. I have guards that I bought in the late 1960's still in use. I remove them periodically to clean underneath, but some have been in place for many years with no I'll effects.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Don't use a valve guard.. as you say they really only make things worse, unless you take them off frequently. But then what's the point.

How about just wiping off the trumpet, with a soft cloth, when you're done playing? Or holding one in your hand, like Satchmo?
Cotton glove on your left hand?

IMO there are much better solutions to the problem. Not to mention the feeling that a valve guard deadens the sound a bit.

This.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
zaferis wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

In a double blind test listening to a statistically relevant number of blind comparisons I don't think any sensible person would bet their life on having a consistently unfailing ability to instantly discern a difference (if any) in the sound caused by a grime gutter or by a valve guard. This is not to mention the question of whether a listener would think the sound is compromised or the sound is improved, both results being possible depending on the subjective criteria of the listener.

My problem with things like this isn't about the potential of a change affecting something. In theory, any change changes something (although the change may not be audible or otherwise discernable). My problem is with the overstated attention given to things which are insignificant within the totality of all things involving the trumpet.

If a top player performed with a valve guard and/or a grime gutter could you tell? Would you bet your life in a double blind test listening to a statistically relevant number of blind comparisons?

The difference between a skilled and proficient player compared to an unskilled and nonproficient player has never come down to the question of use or lack of use of a grime gutter or a valve guard. It's much ado about nothing. Just my opinion.

I agree that the difference in actual resonance when a valve guard is used and not used is super, super subtle, and may be impossible to notice. It all depends on the trumpet, the valve guard, the player, the space, and especially the audience.
darksmoke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used one for awhile and never got any tarnish and the like- took it off on a whim one bath about a year ago and now I have many wear spots on the lacquer where my hands touch. They can certainly be a savior for some, but just make sure they're actually good ones that work and are not made thin nor a detriment to the horn's plating of course. Get a little thicker one, mine has a 'nonporous center layer' in between that you can feel and the inside touching the lacquer is velvet (apparently): the 6-Point Protec leather/ Velcro one. Inexpensive. Nothing ever got under there and it was not very tight. Couldn't tell any difference in sound. I find it simply looks a bit off and weird when no one else has anything like it so I keep it off now primarily just for that and simply wipe it down after every practice at home with a small microfiber cloth, sometimes my shirt. Probably slap it back on sooner or later one of these days.. it is quite more comfortable though

I agree that players, whether for some odd reason trumpets are more predisposed to that or not doesn't matter, and humans in general for that matter, are very subjective creatures and we often underestimate the ability of our brains and psychology to perceive many aspects in life. The Placebo Effect is very real. And it takes years of focus and observation to get better at seeing reason in things big or small. The Placebo Effect is a lifesaver. It means what you think will happen, will probably happen within reason. Your conscious is always shifting focus to different angles so don't focus on just one of them. There's a million different ways to look at the moon. It is always still the same old moon we've looked at for generations.

What I personally think:
If you believe it helps you- good- do that, it's good for you. Your plating will thank you if you picked out one that actually does its job. If you believe you cannot play with a valve guard as it ruins what you've been building on with your instrument- good- do that, it's good for you. You will not standout visually as much in some situations on the bandstand.
One cannot expect rapport with a new object that clashes with an unshakeable concept of their own brain. It will take time to lose that feeling and to see what may be the actual. If you think something does something, do that and don't spontaneously switch it up as what you think is what will be more likely to happen in circumstance. If you find it doesn't help, it probably won't help you. If you find it has no effect to you, it doesn't really matter in the end. Just play.
-Callet SC6
Sofus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your very qualified answers!

It will be either the right guard, no guard or a cloth, then.

I´m an engineer, and as such I´m sceptical to theories
about sound improving and gadgets until there is some
actual measurements done to confirm them.

Nevertheless; if you notice that it helps, then it just might
be helping you, no matter what the reason is . . .

Thanks again!

Bud Herseth 1977 in Hamar, Norway

Mouthpiece and Solidarity
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofus wrote:
I´m an engineer, and as such I´m sceptical to theories
about sound improving and gadgets until there is some
actual measurements done to confirm them.

Nothing wrong with that, quite a healthy mindset actually . The tricky part is actually standardizing those measurements though...what applies to 1 instrument may or may not apply to another. Some of the things I wrote about earlier I've only been able to apply to a single trumpet and they had no effect on others. I wouldn't fault anyone for being skeptical about such anecdotal evidence (having had some scientific training myself, I know very well how such studies are conducted and evaluated).
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
AndyDavids wrote:

I had a mark from a grime gutter on my silver C. Wrights and TarniShield were both unable to fully remove it. The aluminum foil method did slightly better but also did not remove the mark.

This is just to add a little caution. Depending on how deep the tarnish goes you could end up going through the plating. Especially if you use an abrasive silver polish. (Wright’s and TarniShield are on the least abrasive end of the spectrum)
Good to know, thank you! Any potential danger with a silver polishing cloth like Goddard or Hagerty?
James Becker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a scientist or engineer, but can attest to hearing a difference when playing a trumpet with vs without a hand guard. Similarly, O-rings and non- cork water key seals also dampen an instrument. I believe it all comes down to personal preference, it’s neither good or bad, just different.
77 Powdermill Road Rt.62
Acton, MA 01720
www.osmun.com

Our workshop is as close as your nearest UPS store https://www.ups.com/dropoff?loc=en_US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Valve guard Reply with quote

Kind of a different situation, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...
Over the the years, I've worked with Wayne, Jim Becker, etc. I definitely agree, the valve guard dampens something in the instrument. You can analyze it scientifically any way you want, but it it is something the best, most sensitive players can "feel". I believe this what the best artists can sense.
I've never used one in my career, yet in my last couple of years in the orchestra, I developed some kind of metallic allergy, in that my left hand would break out with cracks, and quite painful. (At one point I had to have my wedding ring cut off, as the swelling was so bad it was cutting off circulation to my finger.)
Went through the allergy tests, and nothing conclusive..was told they can't test for everything. I started to use a hand guard, and it helped the outbreaks a bit. Can I say it affected the sound in doing my job,.... No ..
We can all feel incredibly small changes in our equipment, notice resistance changes, resonance differences, etc.....
BUT... I will step out on a limb here, and say, 1) Never , ever, has a colleague said, hey your sound is different with that guard, take it off..
And 2) I can GUARANTEE that any conductor could Ever tell the difference!
It really comes down to your comfort level with or without it.
10 feet away, maybe... but 50 feet into the hall, I'm not so sure.
Flame away if you like, as I said, just my 2 cents. 😉
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: