• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Natural Trumpet (no holes) recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X200

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Natural Trumpet (no holes) recordings Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for audio recordings on CD or DRM-free digital downloads of natural trumpeters playing natural trumpets - i.e., without vent holes. I'm aware of the work of Madeuf. I haven't found anything for Julian Zimmerman other than online videos.

Thanks,
X200
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Smithers is a proponent of the true, natural trumpet. He made a number of recordings on the Philips label in the 70’s (?) but I do not know if he used a no-hole trumpet for those or not. Ed Tarr was using one or two holes at that same time, I think.
X200

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Don Smithers is a proponent of the true, natural trumpet. He made a number of recordings on the Philips label in the 70’s (?) but I do not know if he used a no-hole trumpet for those or not. Ed Tarr was using one or two holes at that same time, I think.

I've seen a few of Smithers' recordings on vinyl (for which I'm not equipped), but nothing digital. It might be worth (re)investing in a turntable. I have to read his '...before 1721" book (sitting on my shelf for a while now) to gain further insight. Thanks!
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for recordings with Jean-Francois Madeuf. I have his Molter, Telemann and Purcell CDs as well as him playing on Bach Christmas Oratorio.

The son of a friend of mine studied with him and turned me on to his recordings. Might not be one better today (without holes)
X200

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeuf is awesome.

Re: Smithers
I'm working my way through the '1721' book. Early on he states clearly that he doesn't see much value in 'baroque' trumpets with (presumably multiple) vent holes, although he does say that the Meinl & Lauber Tarr model (one hole) is a good compromise. This is as of the 1973 publication date and perhaps written earlier. Nothing about his own recordings yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: