• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music Scholarships

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feff123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Music Scholarships Reply with quote

Hi trumpet enthusiasts,

I'm a high schooler who plays trumpet. I plan to major in music as well as a more "practical" major (as per my parents). I'd still like to be a professional trumpeter, however.

My favorite schools right now are two out of state school with phenomenal teachers and enough academic prestige to satisfy my parents. However, these schools are quite expensive for an out-of-stater such as myself, but I've heard that if I audition well enough, I could receive scholarships. How much do these scholarships tend to be for? What are some schools that are known for offering good scholarship money?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financial aid runs the gamut, from work-study programs, marching band stipends, conventual scholarships, and a few schools that are tuition free if you can get into them.

Yours is a very broad question and I suggest that you contact each school you are interested in for their own specific information.

As an aside, you do realize that a music program is usually a five-year program, regardless of what the school says, right? And music is a very labor-intensive program. Add to that a double major like you are intending and you're looking at a lot of long-years' work.

I'm not saying it can't be done or that you couldn't excel in both of your major areas, just that it's no walk in the park and you need to be prepared for that.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scholarship depends heavily on how desirable of an applicant you are. As dark as that may sound, there are plenty of schools looking for multi-disciplinary students such as yourself. If you're looking at private universities with decent music programs (not conservatories), I wouldn't expect a huge scholarship based on audition performance, especially if you're not applying as a music performance major. Big schools tend to give out scholarship on a need-based scale, although there are always exceptions and opportunities for additional aid through work-study or even stipends for being in marching/pep bands. State schools tend to be pretty good with financial aid and scholarships, especially for musicians, so look into some public schools. If you're auditioning at top-level conservatories, don't expect to get a generous offer. Those schools have their choice of talent from across the globe, and can afford to lose students over the cost of tuition. Smaller schools with strong music programs (or at least, a great trumpet teacher) also present a good opportunity for you. In a smaller, less competitive program, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get involved in the music program even if you're not a performance major. You'll be able to major in something your parents approve of, and you'll be able to continue pursuing music.

To echo the other comment on this thread: reach out to schools directly about their financial aid. You could also reach out to the teachers at these schools and ask to speak to some current students to get a sense of the school and the financial aid situation.

One last comment: there is nothing wrong with pursuing music as a degree path. The skills you learn in practicing music extend far beyond simply playing your instrument, and the lessons you learn and friends you make will last a lifetime. Unfortunately, with the cost of college these days, many parents see it solely as a vehicle to increase their child's earning potential. If the gains you make in earning potential are at the cost of your happiness and financial well-being, it's not worth it. Do what makes you happy, and stay out of debt.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. Some schools will cover EVERYTHING. Those schools tend to be more exclusive (I'm thinking about Curtis or Rice, which are super-duper-uber competitive).

I would simply try to get as much funding as possible and then see which school offers you the most. Really, you should avoid student loans as much as possible, they are not a fun thing to have.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Scholarships Reply with quote

feff123 wrote:
Hi trumpet enthusiasts,

I'm a high schooler who plays trumpet. I plan to major in music as well as a more "practical" major (as per my parents). I'd still like to be a professional trumpeter, however.

My favorite schools right now are two out of state school with phenomenal teachers and enough academic prestige to satisfy my parents. However, these schools are quite expensive for an out-of-stater such as myself, but I've heard that if I audition well enough, I could receive scholarships. How much do these scholarships tend to be for? What are some schools that are known for offering good scholarship money?

I started college as a music major, but ended up majoring in something else. For me, music is a great hobby, but not the best career. And if you work in a field with good earning potential, you'll have the freedom to do what you want to musically. Some full-time musicians I know don't have this freedom.

Having a back-up major is a good idea, if it's something you like, and if it's something that can lead to gainful employment. (That's a subtle way of suggesting you major in Comp Sci, if you have the ability, and not to major in English.)

But whether you major in music or double-major, going to an in-state school is likely more than adequate. For most people, the cost of an out-of-state or private school is not worth the money. That is, unless you're one of the top high school musicians in your state. This doesn't mean you shouldn't target the two schools you mentioned. But along with looking at scholarship options for these more expensive schools, come up with an alternative plan to go in-state.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a full ride scholarship because the school "needed" trumpet players.

Huge mistake.

If you really want to grow, go to a school where you will initially be one of the worst players.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I was on a full ride scholarship because the school "needed" trumpet players.

Huge mistake.

If you really want to grow, go to a school where you will initially be one of the worst players.

Best piece of advice I’ve seen in awhile. I did this same thing, went to the school offering the best financial package since my parents could not afford to help.

From day 1, I was the best player by a country mile. Got bored immediately and left after a quarter, which signaled the end of my aspirations to become a professional player.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the point that surrounding yourself with better players is much better than being top dog, at least for a while.

When I went to North Texas, I was big dog from where I came. When I got to NT, I was surrounded by players who had also been top dogs from whence they came. I went from top dog to being lost right in the middle of the pack. I'm convinced that the associations and competition and stimulation from my classmates went into better preparing me for the future.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is being able to "stack" scholarships, meaning that they will let you keep merit based, need based, outside scholarships, loans, etc. Some places will not let you exceed the cost of attendance or if you get a higher amount award from the institution it replaces a lower amount award you qualified for. If you can stack then you can often end up with a refund that you can use on "educational" expenses (a new horn, a laptop, whatever).

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Music Scholarships Reply with quote

Going into serious debt for your undergraduate degree isn't worth it. Full stop. With any school, the majority of the work is going to be done by you. With the state of music, it's much smarter to get a nearly free undergrad, spend big for a masters, and get paid for your doctorate (if you choose to do a DMA program).

With all programs, music programs included, there is a spectrum of prestigiousness. Usually, only the top 10 programs (juilliard, rice, colburn, et. al.) are going to POTENTIALLY give you opportunities/gigs and open doors that would be more difficult to do at ANYthing less than those. Which means from small school to damn good music school, they offer about the same in terms of opening doors. Once again, the best way to open doors is with your playing. Yes, teacher/student match is important, but you can likely find that in your state (which state are you in?).

My two cents. If you want to potentially save 10's of thousands of dollars, fly out to NYC and have a lesson with Ray Mase. He's seen it all and he will tell you if you have the "ballpark" potential of a future professional. Yes, there are terrible > amazing stories, but if you look at the top orchestras, most of them have been great since high school. If he says "wow, you're fantastic" then you can pretty much go anywhere, hustle during the year, get into great summer programs and come out decent. You just have to work harder for it. If you're in the "almost got that potential" to "eh, you need some work" category, then the teacher/program match is going to be much more important and maybe worth shelling a little more for.

As far as being one of the "worst" players as being desirable, your mileage may vary. Some people thrive in that environment and some people get burnt out. What worked great for me was always being in the top 10% and having fierce/productive competition amongst the really good players. At some schools you may never get the opportunity to be "someone" which can be disheartening. People that get "bored immediately" do not have the drive necessary to be a pro musician, in my opinion. If you're one of the worst players at your school, you should seriously reevaluate whether you should sink any kind of money into your music degree (especially if you haven't made massive strides in year 1). Starbucks baristas are filled by a number of former music grads, why pay for a degree to do a job that you can do today?

My background, Small undergrad (full ride plus extra on top), decent masters (had full rides offered, choose to pay a bit), big doctorate (had 5 full rides offered between Graduate assistantships and Fellowships but decided to pay for a bit then later got the GA and got paid). Top 3 player at all of them and now I make a living playing the trumpet. Having done it all, I should have taken the free route the whole time. Now I'm debt free, but I got lucky. No amount of debt is worth going into for a music degree, in my opinion. I know many musicians from top flight institutions still having to hustle and nowhere near done paying off their debts.

Do get a second major in something with guaranteed future employment.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the path of least resistance and got a full scholarship to a small school that did not challenge me or develop me that much. HOWEVER! I never got into debt or took out student loans. So there are trade-offs to every move you make. Think about what is important to you. Some days I feel I made a great move, other days I feel like I should have pushed myself more and tried for something more prestigious and expensive where I would have to work my ass off.
OldHorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're looking at everything realistically. If you're lucky, school can give you an envirinment where your playing will mature and improve, but it probably won't help get you a "job" in music. That usually comes from the networking you do while you're in school. Good luck.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I chose the path of least resistance and got a full scholarship to a small school that did not challenge me or develop me that much. HOWEVER! I never got into debt or took out student loans. So there are trade-offs to every move you make. Think about what is important to you. Some days I feel I made a great move, other days I feel like I should have pushed myself more and tried for something more prestigious and expensive where I would have to work my ass off.

Let me add to this. You can choose who you take lessons from. You can form groups to play with. You can network with groups and individuals in your area. You can gain a reputation and sub for established players. You can work tirelessly on your craft. All of this can be done outside the college. The college can get you a diploma. The college may give you some experience beyond what you can do on your own. Don't go into debt for something that is mostly all about what you can do on your own.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Scholarships Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Going into serious debt for your undergraduate degree isn't worth it. Full stop. With any school, the majority of the work is going to be done by you. With the state of music, it's much smarter to get a nearly free undergrad, spend big for a masters, and get paid for your doctorate (if you choose to do a DMA program).

With all programs, music programs included, there is a spectrum of prestigiousness. Usually, only the top 10 programs (juilliard, rice, colburn, et. al.) are going to POTENTIALLY give you opportunities/gigs and open doors that would be more difficult to do at ANYthing less than those. Which means from small school to damn good music school, they offer about the same in terms of opening doors. Once again, the best way to open doors is with your playing. Yes, teacher/student match is important, but you can likely find that in your state (which state are you in?).

My two cents. If you want to potentially save 10's of thousands of dollars, fly out to NYC and have a lesson with Ray Mase. He's seen it all and he will tell you if you have the "ballpark" potential of a future professional. Yes, there are terrible > amazing stories, but if you look at the top orchestras, most of them have been great since high school. If he says "wow, you're fantastic" then you can pretty much go anywhere, hustle during the year, get into great summer programs and come out decent. You just have to work harder for it. If you're in the "almost got that potential" to "eh, you need some work" category, then the teacher/program match is going to be much more important and maybe worth shelling a little more for.

As far as being one of the "worst" players as being desirable, your mileage may vary. Some people thrive in that environment and some people get burnt out. What worked great for me was always being in the top 10% and having fierce/productive competition amongst the really good players. At some schools you may never get the opportunity to be "someone" which can be disheartening. People that get "bored immediately" do not have the drive necessary to be a pro musician, in my opinion. If you're one of the worst players at your school, you should seriously reevaluate whether you should sink any kind of money into your music degree (especially if you haven't made massive strides in year 1). Starbucks baristas are filled by a number of former music grads, why pay for a degree to do a job that you can do today?

My background, Small undergrad (full ride plus extra on top), decent masters (had full rides offered, choose to pay a bit), big doctorate (had 5 full rides offered between Graduate assistantships and Fellowships but decided to pay for a bit then later got the GA and got paid). Top 3 player at all of them and now I make a living playing the trumpet. Having done it all, I should have taken the free route the whole time. Now I'm debt free, but I got lucky. No amount of debt is worth going into for a music degree, in my opinion. I know many musicians from top flight institutions still having to hustle and nowhere near done paying off their debts.

Do get a second major in something with guaranteed future employment.
This is all really solid truth.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:

Let me add to this. You can choose who you take lessons from. You can form groups to play with. You can network with groups and individuals in your area. You can gain a reputation and sub for established players. You can work tirelessly on your craft. All of this can be done outside the college. The college can get you a diploma. The college may give you some experience beyond what you can do on your own. Don't go into debt for something that is mostly all about what you can do on your own.
Definitely, but depends on what kind of music you play. If you are playing orchestral/chamber/classical type stuff you kind of need to attend a university to get the ensemble experience, repertoire, get a reputation, and network. Academia and classical music are very much linked. Other styles are less degree-dependent.
yinzbrass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a great deal of excellent advice on this thread. As the OP is asking about scholarships, I'm assuming that saving money is a bigger priority than teacher fit or an elite school name on the degree. If so, in-state tuition at public schools is often a bigger "scholarship" than many private school and out-of-state awards.

Also, food, dorm or apartment, transportation and beer/entertainment expenses often eclipse tuition. If you live near a decent school, consider living at home and commuting to school. It is less fun, but paying student loans on an entry level salary is even less fun.
D/Eb: Besson/Kanstul, Monette E3 S3
A/Bb Picc: Early '70s Selmer 365, ACB 7PT
Bb Cornet: Getzen 3850 Custom, Wick 4B
Flugel: Dillon, Marcinkiewicz 3FLD
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going in with a backup plan is admitting failure. Go for your dream but always realize your path may change.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Going in with a backup plan is admitting failure. Go for your dream but always realize your path may change.

Not telling anybody else what they should do, but I never had a "backup plan". For me, it gives one an excuse for not being totally committed to your goal.
For me, it worked. I've spent my entire adult life as a full-time musician.
"Do what you love and the money will follow".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun May 01, 2022 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Cliches, platitudes, and adages are all great and well, but generally don't hold up perfectly under scrutiny. Ultimately, you can do EVERYTHING right and still not make it as a pro musician. Having a two pronged attack for success is not having a backup plan, it is having a plan. It is not admitting failure, it is being prepared for everything life may throw at us.

For the OP:
To address the scholarship thing since I didn't address it in my previous longer advice: you can sometimes find really good scholarships at some schools. Contact the professor for what scholarships they may have available. You should have all of your information before you audition to see if it is a viable option. If you don't have a private teacher who is telling you this information, get a better private teacher or get one at all.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Billy B wrote:

Not telling anybody else what they should do, but I never had a "backup plan". For me, it gives one an excuse for not being totally committed to your goal.
BTW, I've spent my entire adult lie as a full-time musician.
"Do what you love and the money will follow".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: