• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Andrea Guiffredi model by Carol Brass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local CarolBrass dealer just got one of the Guiffredi models in. I'm planning to swing by tomorrow to give it a blow. Happy to report back here.

Interestingly they have their own sequence number. The one he got in is number 16!

http://www.seacatmusic.com/

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9PyCmS80lw

I’m getting the idea from the various demos, including Andrea Giuffredi’s, that it sounds bright and not particularly strong in core sound. I could be wrong. It’s hard to tell with demos like these.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it has some similarities in sound to the Bach commercial (when Steve is playing it). I ordered one and will have it middle of this week. I'll report back with my impressions.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's definitely known for commercial, fast, solo-type playing. I think I'd read in the past that he played a 72 and/or a shew. To me the specs on the horn look nice, with the wider flair/bigger bell, sterling pipe, lighter receiver, etc. I'm sure it's a fun instrument.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
He's definitely known for commercial, fast, solo-type playing. I think I'd read in the past that he played a 72 and/or a shew. To me the specs on the horn look nice, with the wider flair/bigger bell, sterling pipe, lighter receiver, etc. I'm sure it's a fun instrument.

He has some spectacular and precise pedal notes, too. I first knew about Guifreddi from some Monette videos back when he was playing their horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2H-eXn6iCQ

For a more well-rounded demonstration of his technical and lyrical prowess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgA9s71I6g
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
irememberchet

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Andrea Giuffredi Model Reply with quote

I ordered a brand new Andrea Giuffredi model trumpet and just received it this week!

Although it is a very light horn, it has a thick solid core to it's sound, and, with the sterling silver leadpipe, is very responsive, free blowing, versatile, and is very capable of a wide range of tonal colors.

I am loving this horn so far, having played it for several days now and during a gig last evening. I own the lacquered Giuffredi model, and was expecting something more comparable to a Bobby Shew model Yamaha, given the light weight and overall responsiveness of the instrument. I own a silver plated Shew model 6335, and am very happy to report that the Giuffredi trumpet has considerably more depth and core to its sound that my Yamaha Shew, and depending on your chosen mouthpiece setup, can actually be darker, thicker, and more expressive than one can usually expect to find in a lighter weight horn.

It is perfect for me and my lyrical style of playing and the expert playing of Mr. Giuffredi. I highly recommend this fine instrument!
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrea Giuffredi Model Reply with quote

irememberchet wrote:
I ordered a brand new Andrea Giuffredi model trumpet and just received it this week!

Although it is a very light horn, it has a thick solid core to it's sound, and, with the sterling silver leadpipe, is very responsive, free blowing, versatile, and is very capable of a wide range of tonal colors.

I am loving this horn so far, having played it for several days now and during a gig last evening. I own the lacquered Giuffredi model, and was expecting something more comparable to a Bobby Shew model Yamaha, given the light weight and overall responsiveness of the instrument. I own a silver plated Shew model 6335, and am very happy to report that the Giuffredi trumpet has considerably more depth and core to its sound that my Yamaha Shew, and depending on your chosen mouthpiece setup, can actually be darker, thicker, and more expressive than one can usually expect to find in a lighter weight horn.

It is perfect for me and my lyrical style of playing and the expert playing of Mr. Giuffredi. I highly recommend this fine instrument!

Just curious...how would you contrast and compare it to your X-13?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x9PyCmS80lw

I’m getting the idea from the various demos, including Andrea Giuffredi’s, that it sounds bright and not particularly strong in core sound. I could be wrong. It’s hard to tell with demos like these.
I think it's impossible to tell anything about how a horn sounds from a youtube video. I do appreciate the salesmen that make youtube demo videos, because I enjoy hearing them play, sharing their thoughts, and I learn from what they have to say about the horns (horntrader, ACB, etc). However, you can't tell how a horn will sound for you from a video.
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the Guiffredi as well as a number of other CB Bbs this week and here are some of my impressions:

The response is light and easy. It takes very little to make the Guiffredi model speak and it's quite easy to navigate around on the horn - a bit surprisingly so for a large bell. I feel on my YLT and the 5000L-YLT I was playing as well, that there is a lot more room between the notes so I needed to be deliberate. Not so with the Guiffredi. It's secure, agile, and not tubby.

The sound is quite bright for a large bell. Of the horns I was playing through, it was one of the brightest to my ear. I believe the other horns were a 5060L-YSS, 7770L-YLT (or was it a YST?), 5000L-YLT, and my 5205L-YLT. Projection is good. It's easy to get behind it and push the sound out but it continues to feel under control.

For me, the rounded slide played the best. The resistance was more comfortable and the horn seemed a bit less "edgy" with the rounded slide. And I don't typically prefer rounded slides.

I do think this model would be great for all-around playing. You could easily blend in a section, or perform classical repertoire , or wail in a big band with equally good results.

I ended up not buying the Guiffredi from SeaCat Music as I just ordered the new CB Eb/D so there is still one in stock and available for purchase there.

gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up not buying the Guiffredi from SeaCat Music as I just ordered the new CB Eb/D so there is still one in stock and available for purchase there.[/quote]

Is there a d/eb carol brass trumpet?
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gus wrote:
I ended up not buying the Guiffredi from SeaCat Music as I just ordered the new CB Eb/D so there is still one in stock and available for purchase there.

Is there a d/eb carol brass trumpet?[/quote]

Just released.

https://www.carolbrass.com/products_list.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=59C956552B3C38AE&getId2=448D89BC45C7EB79

irememberchet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Andrea Giuffredi Reply with quote

Dstpt,

The X-13 and the Giuffredi are very different horns. The X-13 is a marvelous horn for all around playing, but I think the Giuffredi will prove to be even more versatile.

The Giuffredi will be an excellent horn with its ability to blend in a section and is very easy to play for solo work.
Schilke Handcraft HC1
irememberchet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Andrea Giuffredi Reply with quote

I did want to address the issue of brightness in the sound of the Giuffredi trumpet.

All instruments are mouthpiece and setup sensitive to some degree. The Giuffredi trumpet is no exception. I use a very large mouthpiece with a very open orchestral type backbore and with this setup, I do not find the Giuffredi trumpet to be bright at all. It has a thick core with complex overtones and is very capable of being played in any setting.
Schilke Handcraft HC1
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrea Giuffredi Reply with quote

irememberchet wrote:
I did want to address the issue of brightness in the sound of the Giuffredi trumpet.

All instruments are mouthpiece and setup sensitive to some degree. The Giuffredi trumpet is no exception. I use a very large mouthpiece with a very open orchestral type backbore and with this setup, I do not find the Giuffredi trumpet to be bright at all. It has a thick core with complex overtones and is very capable of being played in any setting.

I am getting my AG horn hopefully later this week and will be interested in how it compares to all my other horns. See below…. I will respond on my thoughts once the horn is delivered.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrea Giuffredi Reply with quote

irememberchet wrote:
Dstpt,

The X-13 and the Giuffredi are very different horns. The X-13 is a marvelous horn for all around playing, but I think the Giuffredi will prove to be even more versatile.

The Giuffredi will be an excellent horn with its ability to blend in a section and is very easy to play for solo work.

Thank you, Mr. Harris!
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI @irememberchet when I click the link in your signature I get something in an Oriental language I can't read.
irememberchet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Andrea Giuffredi Model Reply with quote

Hi Shawnino,

Yes, my domain name expired and some Asian company jumped on it and posted material to my old website.

I am working on a new domain name and reconstructing my website.

In the meantime, I am going to delete reference to my old website RichardHarrisLive.com.

Thanks!
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblo wrote:
gus wrote:

Is there a d/eb carol brass trumpet?

Just released.

https://www.carolbrass.com/products_list.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=59C956552B3C38AE&getId2=448D89BC45C7EB79[/quote]

This is really cool and I'd love to try one but the $3195 MSRP is much too high imo unless it's a schilke-level horn. Maybe it is? Has anyone tried one yet?
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
This is really cool and I'd love to try one but the $3195 MSRP is much too high imo unless it's a schilke-level horn. Maybe it is? Has anyone tried one yet?

I'm not seeing that MSRP on that CarolBrass site. HornTrader has it priced at $2350 (Lacquer) and $2500 (Silver).

https://www.horntrader.com/product-category/carolbrass-instruments/

I did play it at ITG on Wednesday but found it strikingly tinny to my ear. I was not anticipating that, either. Perhaps that's the very light bell and sterling leadpipe that gave me that result. Maybe it would mean having to use a different mpc from the ACB MV3C that I used at the time, or a different approach to my blow, to get the sound that I hear in TA's recording on ACB and the artist AG's takes on the CB site and on YouTube. They definitely get better results than I did.

On another note, I played a Bach 37* (lightweight) in the Conn-Selmer room and ended up buying it! I was only there on Wednesday, paid for it through a local H&H Music store yesterday (Thursday afternoon), and arranged for a friend to pick it up this morning and bring it back to Houston. I get it tomorrow. When he walked into the room, he said that a lady was playing it, and when he said to the rep that that was the horn, she said that she was just about to buy it, that it was the most responsive horn in the room! (Lucked out, I mean, blessed on that one!)
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

I'm not seeing that MSRP on that CarolBrass site. HornTrader has it priced at $2350 (Lacquer) and $2500 (Silver).

I think we're talking about different trumpets, I was referring to the Eb/D trumpet carol has also just released.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: