• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Andrea Guiffredi model by Carol Brass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ; I'm anxious to hear your opinion after you've played your new horn for a bit.

I'm hoping to pick one of these up soon - I have a friend ready to sell me his.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking mine out for a mariachi gig this evening. It’s been great for salsa, rock/soul band, classical, whatever. Such a good horn and so responsive to mouthpiece choice.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got mine, and what a fun horn to play. Incredibly light bell - which is so full of options to alter tone and color. Still - it's NOT the lightest weight horn I've got... The weight is in the middle of the horn, so it has a really solid sound but can light up at wil; it's a very nice, well made model.

At YouTube Trent and the Horntrader both have at least one vid up, as well as Andre having a good number. Here's my review of the horn; I use 7 different mouthpieces to show how we can transform tone by going from the huge drill size of Bob Reeves C2J, all the way (7 mouthpieces later) to the super-ringing Warburton MC. I also compare the sound to a Bach 18037 and a 1901B. I'm fullly aware that I'm not the greatest trumpeter in the world, but I think this vid does a fairly good job of showing the breadth of this model and how it might compare to a some fairly common horns that many of us have. Enjoy!

Link

JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation on the Giuffredi is SUPERB. I had just noticed this while playing another popular pro horn side by side with the Giuffredi; the ease of playing in tune (with soundtracks) while using the Giuffredi was amazing. Very minor lip was needed for any notes, and I chose several different soundtracks in different challenging keys. The ease of playing the Giuffredi in tune was so impressive, I messaged a friend and was discussing this.

Just a little later I was contacted by another trumpeter who had a Giuffredi, as well as several other nice pro horns. He asked, 'Have you noticed your Giuffredi intonation being obviously superior to other horns? Mine plays in tune SO easily...'

That's huge, folks. I've had horns that sounded good - but one had to put a lot of extra work into the intonation aspect. When we find a horn that SOUNDS good AND is easy to play... It's a huge plus.

I've had several Carol models previously and hadn't really noticed this, but with the Giuffredi and my current lot of horns - it's an obvious difference.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have comments on the resistance or freeness of the AG? Often I'm playing something with challenging articulation, and I need all the help I can get from the horn. Core, spread, feedback be damned. I need to get all these fast notes out of the horn!

Thanks in advance
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
Does anyone else have comments on the resistance or freeness of the AG? Often I'm playing something with challenging articulation, and I need all the help I can get from the horn. Core, spread, feedback be damned. I need to get all these fast notes out of the horn!

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me you need a Getzen Eterna 900
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur enthusiast opinion (on lunch break): I own and have owned a handful of CarolBrass (CB) instruments over the last ten years. The well-defined note slots are a characteristic of all their instruments. It might have something to do with the precision with which they make the valve block and the taper of their leadpipes. I don't know if it's a traditional morse taper. When you're playing centered, CB instruments are fun to play. When you're not centered, you'll miss the flexibility of other brands and have to fight more.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying this signature trumpet yet. The exciting change is that they make the valve block out of different materials, which offers a new character to the sound. I believe Schilke have done something similar throughout their history. I think the next step for CB is to offer hand-hammered or electroformed bells in their premium instruments.

One of my CB trumpets has a sterling leadpipe, and I think it adds a little resistance. But slightly more resistance shouldn't deter you from trying the signature model.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Carol Reply with quote

I think you're spot on, Jonathan. Intonation is something that maybe gets overlooked.

I remember when I was in college, and just about the entire trumpet section, including myself, had their coveted Bach 37 horns. I kept hearing about this "Bach sound". Here's what I heard as well: our 4th line "D" was flat, and our "G" right about the staff was sharp. The one guy that had a Yamaha didn't have those issues. I know some players can compensate for those sorts of intonation issues. I'm lazy: I'd rather have a horn that plays in tune in the first place.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brent. Yes; fighting intonation issues with a horn draws away from other areas; creativity among them.

I'm having a rough day playing (practicing actually); just a poor tone. I suppose it has to do with the cold front many of us in the US are facing - and the forced air heat has just really dried me out (although I'm doubling up on my water intake). At any rate, I'm playing a $4,000+ horn and the sound is, quite frankly, dissapointing. So I pick up my Giuffredi...And the sound is simply a plus.

Matthes brings up a good point; perhaps it's the copper in the valve block, maybe the addition of the sterling-silver leadpipe, possibly the large bell - but this Giuffredi puts out a shockingly good tone. You don't have to take my word for it, either. YouTube has numerous songs played by Andrea Giuffredi - and I don't think he's ever sounded better than on this horn. It's hard to beat superb intonation and outstanding tone... And this horn isn't listed anywhere near many other $4,000+ horns.
tipless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Carol Brass Andrea Guiffredi Reply with quote

I am about to pull the trigger on a Carol Brass Andrea Guiffredi trumpet - the final decision is:
[b]Lacquered or Silver? [/b]- Other than higher cost [+~$300], the Silver life expectancy is said to be greater due to easier maintenance.

Are there other concerns I should take into account when making this decision? Cosmetically I am good with either - the price difference isn't enough to sway me and I will buy whatever is currently available. The sound is apparently malleable on either, so the player can make the sound their own.

Have any of you tried the silver?

Thank you in advance.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I gravitate toward lacquered horns, and my AG is in lacquer. However, silver is likely more popular, an easier sale should you decide the AG isn't a fit for you, easier to upkeep (in the long run), and maybe a clearer sound. The lacuqer on new horns these days seems pretty thick to me.

And I'm still pretty fond of my AG. It's got some great characheristics; intonation being wonderful on this model is huge to me.
tipless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much appreciate your input Jonathan. Thank you!
Much love! - enjoy watching your videos .
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tipless wrote:
Very much appreciate your input Jonathan. Thank you!
Much love! - enjoy watching your videos .

Oh, do go on! And on and on!! (just a little humor)

And, Tipless, welcome to TH!

CarolBrass uses a lot of Sterling Silver leadpipes (as they do on the Giuffredi). It adds zip, as I think most people say. The one strong point of lacquer in models like the Giuffredi is that you've got a Sterling Silver leadpipe, a copper (or copper/nickel?) valve block, and brass. Frankly, it's a great looking horn in lacquer with the differing metals and colors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: