• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kantul Bessons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian_rood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Kantul Bessons Reply with quote

How common are kantstul bessons? I use a Brevete model from the early 80's, it it seems to be pretty rare.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be selling it then...
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were pure junk

i'll take it off your hands for $50 but you'll have to ship it to me
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Kanstul French Bessons Reply with quote

You don't see the higher end Kanstuls Bessons for sale very often. My guess is it's because they are keepers. The owners love them. My very first EBay buy ever was a Kanstul French Besson Classic ML, b flat. My daughter decided to play trumpet in 6th grade so I was looking for a couple of cheap used trumpets. That was 7 years ago. I put the minimum bid in at $499 and ended up being the only bidder. It was a rush watching the seconds tick by. I was lucky since I didn't know I could put in a maximum bid too. It came with a Kanstul double horn case, heavy bottom valve caps, but with only one tuning slide. Near mint condition, no scratches, no dents, outrageous compression. The seller posted it as a used Besson Trumpet without much description. But he posted a photo of the bell (French Besson Classic) and the receiver (Najoon). I could see the rubber cap on the tuning slide spit valve and an amado water key on the 3rd slide, so I knew it was a Kanstul FB Classic. I picked up my Kanstul FB Classic C trumpet on EBay buy-now for $750 in mint-unused condition the next year. You would have to spend a whole lot more to get anything close to these. French Besson Internationals come around more often. I picked one up for my daughter from a garage sale for $135. I wouldn't recommend them at the price you usually see them for. Not in the same class as the FB Classic, Stamm, Meha, or Brevete.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lower end Kanstul Bessons are any indication, then the higher end ones must be very nice instruments to play. Picked up a Kanstul-made Besson 609 for less than 100 euros a while back for a beginning trumpeter. It played very easily above the staff, and had a very nice sound (and that was even before it was properly cleaned, go figure). But that too was a lucky find. Like JHirakawa said: people owning professional level Kanstuls often know what they have and either ask a price to match, or don't sell them at all.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good things about the 609 and 709, but I haven't had a chance to played either. I have played two International Series FB trumpets and I am sure they were made by Kanstul. I found both to be on the stuffy side. I measured one and it was a medium bore. I have own two French Besson Classic b flats. They play identical and both are fabulous. My French Besson Classic C is fantastic.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: