• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Game Changing pocket trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Game Changing pocket trumpet Reply with quote

Folks,

I, like many of you, am not a full-time trumpet player. I do, however, play in local groups and teach lessons. I have struggled to find a life balance between practicing, working, teaching, and spending time with my wife. Thankfully, I can practice at work as long as I complete my regular tasks. (I sell cars, so I have a lot of down-time)

I finally pulled the trigger on a Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet (3000-GLS for those that would like to know), and I am BLOWN AWAY! This thing plays just as good as my full-size horns AND is very in-tune. Playing a full-size Bb trumpet in the back of a sedan for a few hours is awkward, and a BBB style cornet isn't much better, but a pocket trumpet is perfect! If you practice outside of your studio regularly, I strongly encourage you to look at the Carolbrass Pocket trumpets.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience with the Manchester Brass Pocket from Austin Custom Brass. It is made by the Carol Brass people. I would not say it is as good as my Schilke or Yamaha Bbs, but it is very playable and a lot of fun. Wide open, perhaps a bit cornet-like. I use it way more than I thought I would. I bought it as a travel horn. Pocket trumpets that play can be done
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same CarolBrass Pocket Trumpet. I use it to practice at work and when traveling.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a Carol Brass pocket trumpet with me on an overseas excursion. No problems. Stuck it in my suitcase.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never practice in my car but when I am on vacation my Carol mini is exactly what I need , a real pocket size Bb that have a decent pitch and good resistance with the proper mpc and a really small bell that takes mutes and is not to loud to disturb the hotel neighbors .
Perfect little horn to preserve my chops in vacations, nothing more and nothing less.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of my Carol pocket (upturned 7000-style bell, mostly red brass). Fun factor is off the charts and especially useful in close quarters. Haven't travelled with it (pandemic) but looking forward to it.

Good news for me is that it's very responsive to mouthpiece switches so ot lights up really well or gets super mellow depending on cup depth.

Also owned a 9990 Fluegel--would recommend Carols to anybody.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I received my Carol Brass CPT3000-GLS-Bb-SLB pocket trumpet so a few remarks:
- the build quality is superb
- valves also superb
- indeed very good in tune
- very nice small but sturdy case
- it will not play like a full sized trumpet, it is and will always be a pocket
- but it plays for a pocket surprisingly well
- these pocket trumpets behave like pocket cornets with a trumpet receiver, see Nick DeCarlis:

Most current-day pocket cornets are actually pocket trumpets – that is, they have receivers intended to accept the slightly larger trumpet mouthpiece. In fact, it only takes an inexpensive trumpet-to-cornet adapter to be able to use a cornet mouthpiece. In my opinion, they sound much better this way.

- the horn plays indeed very good with an cornet-trumpet adapter and you can even use a 3C cornet mp for the right (more or less trumpetty) sound
- but it also plays very well with a rotary trumpet mouthpiece like the Yamaha 14E4 probably made possible by the 3.88 throat and a big bb.
- the easiest playing I got was with a Bob Reeves flügel-trumpet adapter and a Yamaha 14F flügel mp though the sound will be VERY mellow then.

These last remarks have for me more to do with the playabilty of the horn than with the sound.

Though I bought the horn complete on intuition I'm very happy with it. Like I said the build quality is unbelievable for the price I paid (579 euro) and I had the last one out of the Thomann stock. Next buyer will probably have to wait months for it and maybe will have to pay more.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/carol_brass_cpt_3000_gls_bb_slb.htm
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pocket trumpet is my dark object of desire.

I have been able to buy a second hand Jupiter pocket trumpet, but I think it has serious tuning problems. So I discarded it.

I want the instrument to give it regular use and to reserve my main trumpet, a Yamaha 8310Z.

I hope to receive some extra money this summer, so I can wait a few months, I would also buy it at thomann, because there is no Carolbrass distributor in Spain.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Jupiter pocket trumpet for several years and have had no complaints about its ability to play in tune, its sound or it playability. The one I have is the version with the larger bell which has the same wrap as the old Benges. It seems that, until recently, there were numerous complaints about almost all of the small bell pocket trumpets.
jackkok

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I've had a Jupiter pocket trumpet for several years and have had no complaints about its ability to play in tune, its sound or it playability. The one I have is the version with the larger bell which has the same wrap as the old Benges. It seems that, until recently, there were numerous complaints about almost all of the small bell pocket trumpets.

Totally agree with you dude!
Caribbean Stud Poker is specifically request on the lookout, which has a likeness to the universally adored poker, which players have known for quite a while. You can work on putting down wagers with practically no expense thanks to the demo form, and afterward associate different choices for genuine cash in demonstrated web-based clubs. It is vital to completely study every one of the elements of the game, and afterward continually train your abilities. The initial phase in figuring out how to play this game is to comprehend what it is and what you end up with. Solely after learning the nuts and bolts will it be feasible to abandon a novice into an every one of the significant expert eccentricities of the wagering instrument of the game.Caribbean Stud Poker is viewed as quite possibly the most sought-after varieties of poker wherein player attempt to beat the internet based club. The beginnings are not completely clear, albeit prestigious betting creator David Sklansky has expressed that he created it back in the mid 1980s. This variety contains a few components of "genuine" poker, yet doesn't need a great deal of abilities or the utilization of unique procedures - this draws in clients from everywhere the world. It is essential to recollect that the betting club's benefit is more than 5%, even with the best strategies. This is quite terrible contrasted with other table games like Blackjack, Roulette, Three Card Poker, or even Ultimate Texas Holdem. Simultaneously, this game can be entirely beneficial, particularly during a betting meeting surrounded by colleagues - here you might possibly break a major award.

Last edited by jackkok on Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter pocket trumpet actually plays very well and is the only one I have ever tried that I would actually own.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I also sing and play guitar in my band, and carry a full p.a. as well as my guitar gear, I've made a pocket trumpet my "Daily Driver" for years. I've gone through a few over time and the Carol Brass was a godsend. Good tone and intonation. And it always gets a lot of attention, so it's a neat conversation starter. I once tried to replace it with a "real" Benge pocket trumpet, but the Benge just seemed too nice and had a very different feel to the blow. The Carol I use currently is starting to really show it's age, which I believe is about a decade, so yesterday I pulled the trigger on a new Blackhawk model from Steve at Horn Trader. It should arrive early next week.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Kessler pocket trumpet, also made by Carol Brass, and would highly recommend it. Very well made and lots of fun to play.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the Manchester brass and the Kessler have a lot in common, exept that the MB may have a slightly bigger bell. I have the feeling that there may be a development sequence in the various Hoxon Gakki corp. pocket products. The Kessler being the oldest or simplest, the Manchester brass the one but last generation and the Carol Brass the newest and more upgrade serial.
Of course that says not everything about the sound or playability of the horns, but..

Personally I was very lucky (I had 'that' feeling) to buy the last CB CPT3000-GLS-Bb-SLB of the Thomann stock because Thomann sold their complete stock of CB pockets and now they are in backorder for steeply increased prices. I paid 579 euro for mine in April, now you have to wait months and you'll have to pay 789 euro for that one. In fact I think that the horn I bought was too cheap, for me it seems to be impossible to produce a horn like that, ship it to Europe to a dealer who must have a profit and have it send to my home for that amount of money.

The Kessler, the Manchester Brass and the Jupiter may be good or even great horns but anyhow the CB CPT3000 is a fantastic pocket with a big sound, great core and tone, first class construction, great valves, very good intonation, it is very compact built and has superb looks (mine is satin) so I have nothing to complain about.
It is not true that all mutes will fit this pocket trumpet. It seems to have quite a weird bell flare with a small throat so you'll have to try, a regular harmon, solotone, cup mute will not fit.

Edit: these horns are VERY mouthpiece sensitive especially for playability, they may be pocket cornets with a trumpet receiver (see my post above) so they play well with a deeper cornet or flügel mp with an adapter. In the mean time I found ou that they also play well with a deeper trumpet mouthpiece like a Bach B cup and in my case a Yamaha 14D4 (excellent mp). I am not sure a bigger throat and/or bb as I said before, will help.

Last edited by delano on Mon May 16, 2022 5:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The increase in prices in Carolbrass has been 36%, not even in an economic context like the current one I can consider it justified. So I'm not interested anymore.

I contacted the seller of the Jupiter again, but he had already sold it. something strange that he told me was that he had an Amati pocket trumpet which he was very happy with the sound and tuning of it.

P.D. I have my Yamaha 8310Z insured and I don't play with anything else.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a 36% increase in the price of the Carolbrass is exorbitant.
For what it's worth I have a small bell Jupiter 416 and find it to be an extraordinary fine little pocket trumpet. Obviously it cannot compare with a full size horn or a Benge or Stomvi Pocket but it is ideal for keeping your chops in shape if you are travelling.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at thomann.de, you will see that hardly any of the Carolbrass Bb trumpets are in stock, but all of their prices have gone way up. Maybe they are thinking that after having waited for months for the horn that you want, you will be willing to pay the inflated price just to get the horn. It will be interesting to see if their horns remain popular after the price hike. Personally if I were to spend 1500 euros for a horn, I would buy a used Bach.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
If you look at thomann.de, you will see that hardly any of the Carolbrass Bb trumpets are in stock, but all of their prices have gone way up. Maybe they are thinking that after having waited for months for the horn that you want, you will be willing to pay the inflated price just to get the horn. It will be interesting to see if their horns remain popular after the price hike. Personally if I were to spend 1500 euros for a horn, I would buy a used Bach.

If you are an unknown, far east brand you have to fight you in a market. That's what CB did.

I don't think their prices are inflated, they might be more real now.
And I really don't think the CB people are thinking the way you are thinking. The CB horns are worldwide in backorder so it looks more like a fresh start.

Of course everybody is free to spend their money but do you have a rational reasoning for your preference for the 2nd hand Bach or is it just a feeling in the belly? More specific: did you ever hold or played a CB horn (and experienced the quality)?
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have tried a Carolbrass horn. It wasn't well taken care of , and the valves were very sticky. That is the only horn that I tried.

You asked why I would prefer a used Bach instead of a new Carolbrass. Bach is a brand that I know and play. I sincerely doubt that the Carolbrass Bach copy is equal to the Bach. Carolbrass has been around long enough, so if they were as good as Bachs, then everybody would be playing them, considering they used to cost 1/4 of the price of a new Bach. That isn't the case. There must be a reason people will spend more than twice as much money for a Bach. I imagine that their bells which are never mentioned, are not one piece, so that is one aspect where they are saving money in production costs. That said I never tried the Carolbrass Bach copy.

I'm not trying to bash Carolbrass. They used to be an excellent value. High quality instruments at a bargain price. Now that the prices have gone up, (even though there are no horns to sell, now what is that all about?) they are less competitive.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:

(1) Carolbrass has been around long enough, so if they were as good as Bachs, then everybody would be playing them, considering they used to cost 1/4 of the price of a new Bach. That isn't the case.

(2) There must be a reason people will spend more than twice as much money for a Bach.

ad 1 That's not the way things happen.

ad 2: of course there must be a reason but I'm still curious which one. And, I admit, I'm suspicious about people's reasoning in things like this in general.

And I think you are right with the two piece bells. But the same issue does not make Monette trumpets cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: