• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming back after a 24-year layoff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Coming back after a 24-year layoff Reply with quote

I've been playing almost every day for 6 1/2 weeks. The first few weeks, it was ugly. But, this week, things have really improved. My tone, my endurance, my lip flexibilities, and, to some extent, my range, have all taken a leap.

I'm mostly playing Art Farmer and Chet Baker stuff, and lots of scales and flexibility slurs to build range. Some long tones, too. It's lots of fun.

Last edited by BreakFromTheHerd on Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:47 am; edited 3 times in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep after it and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day - it took years, brick by brick.

One of the things I always cautioned comeback players with is to be patient. Even with a disciplined work ethic and steady practice, there's no shortcut to the refinement that can only take place over time no matter what you do.

I'm glad it's going well though - welcome back to the dark side!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Take some lessons if you can. That will help you get off to a good start. Have fun!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above. Most of all have fun.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JensenW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one comeback player to another, welcome to the forum.

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a comeback player 6 years ago and brother I've come a long way. Take Patrick's advice. He is right on.

But most important of all is to just have fun.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I agree with the other guys - HAVE FUN! The whole reason I'm still active as a musician and never really stopped is because it's fun. Otherwise, why do it at all, right?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and Welcome to TH!

I also took a quarter century off playing.

Coming back, here are my $0.02 of advice:

1. Regarding equipment: If you have some money to invest in a new horn or in refurbishing your an old horn that you really like, do it. For myself, I never knew how much I would like large and extra large bore horns until I tried them. I never smoked; so, my lungs remained relatively healthy and could handle the extra effort of a low resistance horn and large-throat mouthpieces. On mouthpieces, I would settle on a rim size that fits your lip size and never change rim sizes after that. One can easily adapt to change in cup, throat, and backbore to get particular sound characteristics (bright, dark, etc.), but jumping rim sizes can really mess your embouchure up.

2. Regarding stamina: I use a Warburton P.E.T.E. to help with my stamina. Getting one's skills back proves far easier than getting one's stamina back. If you have not retired and have a busy life away from the trumpet, using a P.E.T.E. for 30 minutes during the day, 8 or 12 hours before your practice time, can bring stamina benefits. The other trick I use to build stamina is practicing with my largest throat mouthpiece which, like the P.E.T.E., forces me to use more muscle power to contain the size of the aperture.

Anyway, happy practicing! I hope you join a local band that plays your preferred genre of music soon to make your comeback complete.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your comeback! Expect it to be a rollercoaster ride for a while.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I just purchased a flugelhorn also.

Nasty intonation on the flugelhorn. I have to use alternate fingerings to play it in tune.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding nasty intonation on flugelhorns:

1. Do you have a mouthpiece with the proper taper? There exist three possible tapers for flugelhorn mouth pipes: Small Morse (Bach), Large Morse (Yamaha), and Straight (AKA "French" used on Couseson and others in the french tradition). Using the wrong taper of mouthpiece shank can make intonation more difficult.

2. What style of bell do you have on your flugelhorn? A large bell can make intonation difficult also. If I recall correctly, Benge's largest bell— the 6?, while very dark, played terribly out of tune. Even when ordering the flugelhorns back in the day, most people would recommend that you get the 3 bell as the most in-tune. If your flugelhorn has a similarly large bell, make sure you practice with at tuner to get a good sense of how much up or down correction you need on each fingering in each partial so that you can subconsciously adapt better when playing in an ensemble.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
Regarding nasty intonation on flugelhorns:

1. Do you have a mouthpiece with the proper taper? There exist three possible tapers for flugelhorn mouth pipes: Small Morse (Bach), Large Morse (Yamaha), and Straight (AKA "French" used on Couseson and others in the french tradition). Using the wrong taper of mouthpiece shank can make intonation more difficult.

2. What style of bell do you have on your flugelhorn? A large bell can make intonation difficult also. If I recall correctly, Benge's largest bell— the 6?, while very dark, played terribly out of tune. Even when ordering the flugelhorns back in the day, most people would recommend that you get the 3 bell as the most in-tune. If your flugelhorn has a similarly large bell, make sure you practice with at tuner to get a good sense of how much up or down correction you need on each fingering in each partial so that you can subconsciously adapt better when playing in an ensemble.

A person can get around the wrong taper - I used a Kanstul CCF925 for years (French taper) with a standard Schilke flugel mouthpiece. Technically it wasn't correct, but I was able to use it anyway. I'd always meant to have a friend of mine turn that mouthpiece down to fit the French taper, but ultimately I ended up selling that flugel and getting an ACB Doubler, which utilizes the taper of the Schilke mouthpiece. I'd be hard pressed to say that the intonation on the Yamaha 631 or my ACB Doubler was any better than the CCF295 even using the incorrect taper.
- ACB Doubler

BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the right mouthpiece taper, but I still have to use 1-3 for the D on the 4th line and --3 for the E on the 1st line. That E is hideous when played 12-

It has a 6-inch bell.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the flugel? Some are better than others. Although they are better now, when I was shopping for a flugel around the 2003ish timeframe, the Jupiter 846 that I tried was pretty bad - it was bad enough that I never even put it in the running amongst the things I tried.

Something to consider - I adjust my 1st valve slide on mine a bit by pulling it out a 1/4" or so. That seems to be pretty common with the flugels I've had, and that might help to bring the D down on yours. Is it safe to say that both of those notes are sharp?
- ACB Doubler

BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
What's the flugel? Some are better than others. Although they are better now, when I was shopping for a flugel around the 2003ish timeframe, the Jupiter 846 that I tried was pretty bad - it was bad enough that I never even put it in the running amongst the things I tried.

Something to consider - I adjust my 1st valve slide on mine a bit by pulling it out a 1/4" or so. That seems to be pretty common with the flugels I've had, and that might help to bring the D down on yours. Is it safe to say that both of those notes are sharp?

My sincere apologies. I forgot all about this thread. Ugghh.

The fourth-line D was flat, and the first-line E was extremely sharp. That made it virtually impossible to fix the problem with the first valve slide. I had to pull the slide out a full 3/8" to kinda, but not totally, fix the E, but that totally ruined the D. Using alternate fingerings was the only solution, but I found that I didn't want to go that route long-term, and so I ended up selling that horn.

And so, I'm a trumpet-only guy once again.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, playing flugel takes a very different approach than playing the Bb. I frankly wouldn't mess with any flugel until you get more established on the Bb. Doing it sooner is bound to be frustrating and could hinder your development.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
For what it's worth, playing flugel takes a very different approach than playing the Bb. I frankly wouldn't mess with any flugel until you get more established on the Bb. Doing it sooner is bound to be frustrating and could hinder your development.

Many thanks. Yes, I should have waited on the flugel. The deep V-cup mouthpieces were challenging for me to play, which only added to my frustrations.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get established on the Bb I hazard that it won't be a difficult transition to the flugel. In some ways I think the flugel is more forgiving than the Bb. But you do have to approach it differently or it will fight back and give you all sorts of frustrating intonation problems.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Once you get established on the Bb I hazard that it won't be a difficult transition to the flugel. In some ways I think the flugel is more forgiving than the Bb. But you do have to approach it differently or it will fight back and give you all sorts of frustrating intonation problems.

Flugel kind of ruined my trumpet playing, but it's coming back. I find that I am aiming too low in the slots now, because on my flugel, everything was sharp from first-line E on down. Even low C was sharp. I don't miss that horn.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreakFromTheHerd wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Flugel kind of ruined my trumpet playing, but it's coming back. I find that I am aiming too low in the slots now, because on my flugel, everything was sharp from first-line E on down. Even low C was sharp. I don't miss that horn.

Yeah, you really have to realign yourself going from the flugel to the Bb. Even my teacher who was a beast tells a story of doing a gig that started with a bunch of flugel playing then quickly transitioning to picc. Apparently that's even worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: