• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a unicorn trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon1Cow0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Looking for a unicorn trumpet Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Of course I’m here like most people looking for that unicorn trumpet.

I played continuously from 3rd grade through all of high school. I’ve played off and on the last 12 years since high school and I’m hoping to start playing again much more regularly in a mix of community big band and community concert bands.

My current mouthpiece: Northern Brass 64****
Current Trumpet: King 600

This is the trumpet I got when I first started playing and the one I used all through high school. I love this thing. It slots well up from high C to F using open and first valves. Anything above E gets real squeally and unclear

This last weekend I went to my local music shop for my king to get a long overdue deep clean and I had some time to kill, so I asked to play on some of their selection. I was “wowed” with a Bach 18037S. It had a great sound and that upper register came out crisp and clear in a way I didn’t think I was capable of playing. The squeally notes on my King I thought were a “me” problem, not a difference a horn could make. But those double G’s and A’s were real notes, not piggy squeals!! I was in love until I saw that price tag!

I can’t justify spending $2000+ on a horn

So here’s the unicorn question: is there a horn in the $500-900 range that will yield a similar performance to that Bach 18037s?

I’ve seen Getzens in that price range, any models to seek out?

(I prefer silver plated and I have no qualms with a used horn) [none of the stores in my area really have a variation of what trumpets are offered to try different ones. It’s either the Yamaha equivalent or the Bach haha)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "Unicorn Trumpet"?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a fair number of horns that are based on the Bach 37 bell (B&S's challenger series and their stencils, like Accent come to mind). They can often be found from the 750-1500 range depending on seller, condition, etc. etc.

If you're patient you might be able to find a Bach Strad under $1000 - it might need some work or might just be ugly (or be a dog), but you can get lucky.

Best of luck in your search!
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/brasspire-unicorn-900h-heavy-trumpet/
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joking about the Brasspire, but in all seriousness I think these days it's tough to find a good horn for under $1000. The price point that you can expect to get a really good trumpet is, I would say about minimum $1200.
Jon1Cow0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:

Haha, well you did find a unicorn!

I think you are right about that $1200 being the minimum. Honestly it’s been a few years since I’ve looked at trumpet prices. I was a little shell shocked to see those top line Bachs had doubled from the $1800 when I was a teen
Jon1Cow0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Plays like a pro at a student price point haha
Jon1Cow0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note. I also got to play a AUSTIN CUSTOM BRASS: Coppernicus. Which had one of the best sounds in the standard register and easily played up in the higher register as easily and clearly as the Bach

[img] https://imgur.com/a/p5i9rob/[/img]
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1Cow0 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Plays like a pro at a student price point haha

You used to be able to find older vintage pro model horns that weren't Bachs for good prices. Maybe you still can, but I think prices have gone up in the past decade or so.

For example - I bought my Benge for $400 and my Selmer Radial for $350 - I think. But, this was between 10 and 12 or so years ago, perhaps.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a used Bach 37, from the early 70s, or late 60s ideally. Plenty around.

Thread killer.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try every available used trumpet locally and you'll get there eventually. For me I also like Taiwanese trumpets (Carolbrass, Jupiter, a lot of the stencils out there). I tend to buy mint trumpets that are marked down 1/3-1/2, which are pretty common. Given how much time you've spent/spend on the trumpet, it's well worth it.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used Getzen eterna will do the job as well and for some of us even better.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So here’s the unicorn question: is there a horn in the $500-900 range that will yield a similar performance to that Bach 18037s?

There are some out-of-production horns that were modeled on the 18037 that you might be able to find for a price that low. They include the Blessing 1560, Holton T101, and Sonare 800/801, 900/901. I found the Holton to come the closest to a Bach 18037, but all of them have similar characteristics.

The Getzen 3050 and Shires Q10 are horns similar to the Bach 18037 that are still in production. On a few occasions I've seen used models in good condition for under $1,000

There are horns by B&S, CarolBrass and others that are similar and might occasionally be found used for under $1,000, but I haven't played them and so can't comment on them.

There are certainly other horns modeled on the 18037, such as the Yamaha 8335, that you simply won't see in good condition for under $1,000.

Edit: I'll add the Getzen 700 Eterna II as an alternative. It has less in common with a Bach 18037 than aforementioned horns, but it is a very fine horn, currently in production, that you can sometimes find in good condition in your price range.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerous Getzen Eternas (900s and 700s) on eBay for under $1000.

If you really think you are going t be playing a lot, and you have the extra money, treat yourself to a horn you'll want to play for a long time. Amortize $500 or $750 out over how many years you have left to play. Doesn't seem all that extravagant compared to getting an "OK for now" horn that you'll want to replace at some point.

FWIW, I have two newer Getzens, a 900 and a 907. The 900 was brand new but on sale. The 907 was a company demo I bought at a great discount from Getzen's Reverb site. Together they cost less than a new Strad, and they are players.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Try every available used trumpet locally and you'll get there eventually. For me I also like Taiwanese trumpets (Carolbrass, Jupiter, a lot of the stencils out there). I tend to buy mint trumpets that are marked down 1/3-1/2, which are pretty common. Given how much time you've spent/spend on the trumpet, it's well worth it.

+1 to all of this but HTWT did NOT bury the lede: before you buy try out other trumpets. You might find you prefer another Bach bell, or another make entirely. Of all the advice packed in this thread, that's the most important bit.

(And I'm a Carol fanboy for full disclosure.)
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha YTR6335 or YTR6345 without doubt.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look into Getzen Eternas, be aware that they changed over time.

My favorite, and a horn I played professionally for a number of years, is the Getzen "Severinsen". You can find one for around $1,000.00. Be aware, they are not clones of the Bach but have characteristics unto themselves.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=getzen+severinsen+trumpet&_sacat=0

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Yamaha YTR6335 or YTR6345 without doubt.
If you can find one absolutely! The 6345 was my main axe for YEARS...horn could do anything-
Since then, I have been VERY impressed with the Olds super...been lucky enough to find 3 under $900
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

Edit: I'll add the Getzen 700 Eterna II as an alternative. It has less in common with a Bach 18037 than aforementioned horns, but it is a very fine horn, currently in production, that you can sometimes find in good condition in your price range.

+1 for the 700 Eterna II. I have one and it has a nice, open high register and gets a sufficiently warm sound in the middle and low registers--not as beefy as my Bach, but a heck of a lot easier to play, especially for loud high playing. You can find good ones on eBay for between 600 and 700 bucks. I got mine for $575 three years ago. I love my Bach, but I can honestly say right now the Eterna II has become my daily driver.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:

Jaw04 wrote:
I was just joking about the Brasspire, but in all seriousness I think these days it's tough to find a good horn for under $1000. The price point that you can expect to get a really good trumpet is, I would say about minimum $1200.

Actually, I got a gently used Brasspire Unicorn Bb tpt from a collector in Dec. 2020 and only sold it (Feb. 2022) to thin the herd...but I did hesitate...more than once. The intonation on it was incredible...2nd to no other Bb tpt I've ever played...not kidding...it was indeed a "unicorn." I got a tuner out and played chromatically rather slowly from low F# to F over high C, and every note had the same color and was dead on with the tuner. I kept shaking my head. I only had to adjust low D and C#...that was it. The response, too, was "magical" (again, not kidding) and there was a smoothness in slurring that I can only relate to horns I've owned/played with MAW valves (Lotus, AR Resonance, my 2020 custom Eclipse Enigma). So why did I sell it? Again, had to thin the herd, and I thought I'd throw it out there on the TH Marketplace...and somebody bought it...lucky them. So, if you haven't played one, you might consider trying it. The tonal profile was a little on the darker side...just a little at mf and softer, but would light up any louder than that...but my aim has been to have pretty bright Bb tpts for pit playing, where it's dead, dead, dead. I sold mine for $700, but the guy got a real bargain. I think one of these would be a great solo jazz combo horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: