• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton T602 came home today. I know NOTHING & need tips.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Holton T602 came home today. I know NOTHING & need tips. Reply with quote

New to site. First post. This forum suggests, "anything goes," so perhaps a place to begin. Found a Holton T602 today at garage sale. I was, "captured," by it. And I am NOT musical, never have played anything, but couldn't leave without this trumpet. Local family we knew; it was their son's all through school. Been sitting a while. In original case. s/n is 877350, so past the common s/n lists that end in 1980. Would love to know build date. Seller says it has sticky valve. My initial question here, please, is how do I begin caring for it???? I've not done anything whatsoever yet. It's in nice, but rather well used condition. Some finish disturbance. Mostly bright and shiny. I do not know what to do first. Suspect some kind of lubrication. I just don't want to hurt anything. While not musical, I am somewhat mechanical and often work on small devices. What materials are these made from? Of course, it screams brass, but not sure if an alloy is involved. I'd really like to try to get some sound out of it, but I freely admit to be clueless musically. I'm emotionally attached to it already. PS: I'm 79 years old and I paid $10.00 for this. Thanks for reading, Dennis in E WA state
DennisT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: my homework...... Reply with quote

So in the spirit of helping myself in all this, I've been watching you-tube videos on trumpet care since my topic post. I find I do, indeed, have both slides stuck. Not a surprise. Some, "helpful," videos suggest some near-violent methods to un-stick them. More than one showing heating with torch. I might try a little gun I have after trying penetrating oil. Many suggestions include penetrating oil s a first step. I'm going to try that and let it sit over this next week with periodic additions of P. oil. Question is: what penetrating oil is safe? For other applications, my best oil is Kroil. I also have P-B Blaster. As long as it doesn't hurt the brass I don't see harm. I'm also looking for proper oil and perhaps a maintenance kit for cleaning. Thoughts?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: my homework...... Reply with quote

DennisT wrote:
So in the spirit of helping myself in all this, I've been watching you-tube videos on trumpet care since my topic post. I find I do, indeed, have both slides stuck. Not a surprise. Some, "helpful," videos suggest some near-violent methods to un-stick them. More than one showing heating with torch. I might try a little gun I have after trying penetrating oil. Many suggestions include penetrating oil s a first step. I'm going to try that and let it sit over this next week with periodic additions of P. oil. Question is: what penetrating oil is safe? For other applications, my best oil is Kroil. I also have P-B Blaster. As long as it doesn't hurt the brass I don't see harm. I'm also looking for proper oil and perhaps a maintenance kit for cleaning. Thoughts?
Many techs will fix this relatively cheaply.

There are risks in loosening slides yourself. Torches can damage the lacquer or loosen joints, causing the crook to separate from the leg or braces to pop.

If one side of the crook comes loose before the other you could destroy the crook.

Many do do this type of work themselves and you might be able to also.

I believe penetrating oil is safe to use on brass instruments, but if not hopefully someone will chime in.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the metal is typical brass. The body of the pistons inside the valve casing might be stainless steel or monel.

For the stuck slides I'd try a hair dryer or heat gun on lowest setting - the sticking is often due to old dried-out grease that has hardened. Don't let the metal get hot enough to actual burn fingers!

After slides are removed, the first thing should be a washing in warm water (Dawn dishwashing detergent is often recommended). Remove the valve pistons before hand, and don't let the felt pads get wet. Pushing a patch or brush thru the leadpipe (where the mouthpiece goes) is good.
Use Q-tips for inside the mouthpiece, and in the piston passage ways.

There is specialty trumpet valve oil available from music stores or online - everyone has their on preferred brand! I suggest starting with a plain petroleum distillate oil (clear and unscented) - don't use things such as 3-in-1, gun or clock oil. For lubing the slides, any type of grease will work.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
DennisT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, thank you. This whole thing is becoming more intriguing to me as learn. I've always regretted not learning an instrument when in high school. I lived very isolated then, and opportunities were not plentiful. (35 miles just to get to school). Oddly, during high school my music preferences were classic symphony selections. As a senior I had all of Beethoven's symphonies , and many other Vying media classics. It was in my late 20's that I flipped and listened to pop/rock. Guess I like living a bit backwards. Now look at this trumpet project! Still, I'm happy with how I go about things.
I put a few drops of Kroil on what joints I see on this trumpet last night. As you suggested, I'll try my little heat gun on it gently every day or so, alternating the Kroil drops. I'm thinking this will go on for a couple weeks or longer. I'm not in a hurry. Evidently the bottoms of the valve casings are removeable, however, they too are stuck. I'm thinking of unscrewing the top caps and removing the pistons. I'm going to order proper oil today. I'll do a, "search," and choose a brand some of you talk about often.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisT wrote:
... Evidently the bottoms of the valve casings are removeable, however, they too are stuck. I'm thinking of unscrewing the top caps and removing the pistons. I'm going to order proper oil today. I'll do a, "search," and choose a brand some of you talk about often.

---------
For the bottom caps, use some sort of 'gripper' fabric or leather to give your fingers a better hold. Worst case, use extra padding around the caps and GENTLE use of rounded jaw pliers - the brass will gouge or distort without adequate padding or too tight a squeeze.

It's mostly simple 'machine shop' considerations when working with soft metal such as brass.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Big C

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: You go, Dennis! Reply with quote

DennisT, I just have to say that I love your story. I've played on and off and on and off since the 4th grade and, if you've read my recent thread here on "sticky valves", I still don't know all the answers even about what seems like the basics of the instrument.

My only piece of advice is that, when you get to the point where you're taking the valves (pistons) out of the casings and putting them back in, be VERY careful with any use of force!

Best of luck in this adventure of yours! I think it would be really cool if you started learning to play the trumpet. It sounds like you're having fun with this and that's the way it should be, whether attempting to figure things out yourself, or reaching out for available help/advice (of which there is plenty).

I have found folks on this forum to be great.
DennisT

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

I'm back with update: To date I've had 5, "stuck," problems... Forward valve stuck. All slides stuck. From diagrams on line, I've learned the names for the slides. Using PB Blaster penetrant, and my little heat gun, I got the, "3rd Valve," slide free with only finger pressure. (It being the second to the largest slide) Same technique on the other 3 have gotten me no where...so far.
I've also had no luck getting the bottom cap off the forward valve cylinder. So.....I got a small bottle cap that had about 5/8ths. high sides and just fit over the bottom cap. I propped the trumpet on my bench on a lot of padding and set that stuck cylinder bottom in the bottle cap. Filled the cap with PB Blaster. A lot of family stuff the last few days, so it sat like that for almost 2 weeks. I knew the vent hole in cap bottom would allow the penetrant to move into the cylinder bottom and high enough to submerge the inside cap threads. Today I took trumpet out of the bath. Gently using padded round jaw pliers the cam came off. Inverting the trumpet a few drops of remaining penetrant went into the inner valve body edges. I wiped out the inner cylinder walls with clean cloth. Not knowing what else to do, I pushed my little finger into the hold and pressed on the stuck cylinder. Pushed gently down on the opposite end's finger-plunger. Back and forth. Felt a slight movement and I knew I had it! Put in several drops of newly purchased cylinder oil and kept nudging the valve body. Came free. Now works as easily as the other two valves.
Now for the slides,,,,,,????????
DennisT

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone is following this any longer. However, tonight......I freed up the LAST stuck piece of this Trumpet!!! With zero rough handling or damage. As this is now old post, I'm moving part of it over to, "horns." I hope that is OK to do now. Thank you everyone, Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: