• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb version of a Shires 4f

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurth83

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Bb version of a Shires 4f Reply with quote

I bought a 4f recently and really like it. The best way to describe that horn is it makes everything easy (forgiving slotting and blow), while still being open enough to get a lot of air through it when I want to.

Wondering if there are any Bb analogs for it.

I have a Schilke S22HD as my main Bb right now, and thinking something a bit more like the Shires would make sense. Put another way, the S22HD sounds great, but makes you work for it more than the 4f does. I think of it as my weight training horn...

I am a long time Schilke fan, so how about the B1, B3, B5 range? Or are they too bright for orchestral use? How about the new soloiste series?

I also know nothing of the Shires Bb's, and little of other brands (when I read about Bachs there are so many models, easy to get lost there).
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shires AF is probably the closest playing Bb at Shires. I don’t think you’ll get the full scope of what you’re looking for with another manufacturer if you’re looking for a true 4F analogue. Not that there aren’t other amazing trumpets out there, but those two will have similar sound and slotting characteristics.

Good luck!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both the 4F and the AF. Really fine horns. The AF comes closest to the 4F of the Shires horns I have played. Another one to look at is the Bach AB190. I felt that it had some of those same characteristics.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I with the previous posters about the AF.

If you really want to stick with Schilke, I think the Soloiste is the closest you are going to get. The reverse leadpipes on all the other Schilke models are going to give you a very different feel. That's my best guess as to what you are feeling now as the biggest difference between your horns.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
kurth83

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered an AF, will arrive in 4-6 weeks, I will have 3 days to decide if I like it...

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by kurth83 on Wed May 04, 2022 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the AF model, but I play-tested horns at the factory and love the Destino III medium bore I bought. I also was attracted to Shires because of an early model Shires C trumpet from ten years ago that I love. It turns out that the bore of that C horn is huge, but my needs of the the Bb horn are quite different (other than quality), so all is good.

Enjoy your new horn.

Question: does the AF model come with those little balancers for the first or second valve slide? It's fun to experiment. They call it this: 1st-valve slide harmonic balancer (removable weight in the crook)
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
I don't know about the AF model, but I play-tested horns at the factory and love the Destino III medium bore I bought. I also was attracted to Shires because of an early model Shires C trumpet from ten years ago that I love. It turns out that the bore of that C horn is huge, but my needs of the the Bb horn are quite different (other than quality), so all is good.

Enjoy your new horn.

Question: does the AF model come with those little balancers for the first or second valve slide? It's fun to experiment. They call it this: 1st-valve slide harmonic balancer (removable weight in the crook)

The AF is quite different than the Destino… different bell, leadpipe, balusters, braces etc. The 1st valve “Doc weights” are exclusive to the Severinsen models, but you could purchase one separately.

Glad to hear you love your Doc, Rio, and Kurt I hope you love your AF!!
kurth83

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the AF finally came in, is what I was hoping for, great horn for my needs, big, open, and easy to blow, intended as a Bb companion to the 4F. Thanks again everyone. I guess I am a Shires fan now too... Are any of their other horns good (meaning D/Eb, pic, stuff like that?).
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know about their wonderful Bb and C trumpets. The 6F is an equally fine Eb/D trumpet. I haven't played the Shires piccolo trumpet or cornet, so cannot comment on those.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played a friend's Destino, which is a very nice, very solid horn with a lot of ability to color the sound. A few ounces heavier than my Bach. In the piccolo threads here on TH (which I have been reading of late) it seems many people hold the Shires over the Schilke P5-4.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the 6F being a fantastic Eb (haven't played the D side). I didn't particularly like the blow on the 6MS8, but I prefer a short model for the things it was designed for, so that's probably just me.

I found the 9Y piccolo to play very easily overall, but I didn't care for the tone I was getting. "Quacks" a bit when compared to the Schilke or my Stomvi.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Cornet2Trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a huge fan of Shires trumpets.

Every instrument they make is absolute top quality. I have played the 4F C trumpet (on solos, in the orchestra, in large brass ensembles and in brass quintet), the AF Bb trumpet (on solos, in the orchestra and in brass quintet), the cornet (on solos, in the orchestra, in brass quintet, and in brass bands), the 6F Ed/D trumpet (which is the finest Eb/D I've ever played on solos and brass ensembles), and the 9Y piccolo trumpet (on solos, in the orchestra and in the brass quintet setting).

Every single horn I've mentioned and the many more I've tried all have that beautiful Shires core sound, evenness of sound, fine pitch, and comfortable and reliable feel.

There are a few left to try and I am looking forward to doing so!

Oh yeah, big shout out to Samantha Lane over there at Shires for being an absolute gem of a person in this business who thoroughly knows what's up.

Mike Baker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: