• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Preventing cheek puffing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Preventing cheek puffing Reply with quote

Hi

My neighbour 7yo is learning the trumpet, and I noticed that she puffs her cheeks to the point that she distorts her embouchure.
I asked her what her teacher would say but she doesnt know.

What can I advise her to get rid of that exagerated puff ?

Thanks

JiCe
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not let her teacher handle it? It's nice that you want to help her learn the trumpet, but having 'multiple teachers' at that age probably isn't helping her. If you really feel she's not getting proper instructions, then perhaps you could offer to teach her instead...otherwise, personally I'd probably stay out of it.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Stuart's reply is spot on the money for this Young Player (wish I'd started at 7!) And nice you are being a helpful Neighbour.

But for anyone else just starting out who feels there is too much "heat in the cheek" learn from my mistake - Because for a LOT longer than I needed to, and despite some ad hoc Teacher lessons - I, my cheeks, laboured under the illusion that the Trumpet was about blowing air - (A good teacher could have corrected me lesson 1, - "Steve, The Air Is Already There" )

I posted on the very subject a couple of years back and didn't get any concrete tips to help. So here is mine now - with your lips practise blowing a stream of air so you can feel it on your nose - then do it so you can feel in on your chin - then pick up the horn. Then carry on experimenting.

cheers and stay safe Steve in Helsinki
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I, my cheeks, laboured under the illusion that the Trumpet was about blowing air - (A good teacher could have corrected me lesson 1, - "Steve, The Air Is Already There" )

But "blowing air" IS required to play. Why would you, or that teacher, think otherwise?
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darryl
Quote:
But "blowing air" IS required to play. Why would you, or that teacher, think otherwise?

For me, and crikey we are all different, the worst idea I got from the Internet was "Imagine you are blowing out a candle" One Teacher gave me a drinking straw (to blow through)at the end of the lesson. (Homework I guess?) Both ideas set me down the wrong path.

For me the image / technique / idea of "blowing" inflated the cheeks. My set up did not feel right. Pop's Heat Charts made me realize I had to somehow work it out. At the end of the day when my cheek heat was at its worst I used to take the mp off and play the horn without the mp at all, just lips. (NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED!) this way, at least for a few seconds, I could feel how it felt like to play without "Cheek heat" - air straight into the horn. At times my situation felt desperate.

It was when I got the idea in my head that "the air is already there - your lips only need to excite it" that I was able to stop the blowing with the cheeks engaged set up and "move" the heat to the muscles above and below the lips. (spitting air to the nose/chin exercise key here) Now I feel zero cheek tension - both in and above the staff - personally this gives me confidence - I don't feel like I am swelling up like a frog especially for higher notes or when tired, but it also supplies me with this feeling of easy to apply compression when needed and fits with my understanding of how little air you need to make the horn resonate.

In short the set up which enabled me to excite air directly in the horn (with zero cheek heat) was to stop blowing straight.

cheers and stay safe Steve in Helsinki
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reasonable control of the muscles will prevent puffing.. There are simple excercises that can encourage that control. Puffing the cheeks, or not, can become a habit.

There are reasons that the air FLOW is less when playing than when simply blowing into the ambient air. Encouraging a similar flow when playing can be problematic for sure.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spit a grain of rice off the tip of the tongue. Now go play the trumpet the same way.
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers so far.

JiCe
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benson

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning band director here, and I've seen some cheek puffing. I like some of the remedies suggested, but remember, this is a kid we're taking about. The fix needs to be understandable and immediate. This is my method, and it works.

I start all of my students with the leadpipe, a mouthpiece, and a puh attack (but that's another topic). If they're puffing, they aren't engaging the muscles around the mouth and cheeks. This is known by all of us, but is obviously foreign to a beginner. They need to feel the muscles of the face engage.

As they're blowing the pipe I take my thumb and stop the air. This makes everything worse - cheeks out to the ears! But because there is something to blow against they can start to feel how the cheeks can be engaged. Use whatever language you need to help them engage those muscles. They ALWAYS figure it out. Then, pull your thumb off. They will play the leadpipe without puffing. It may take 2 or 3 times, but this usually fixes it in under 5 minutes.

20 years of beginners, it works for me, and more importantly, my students. Good luck!
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My response is exactly the same as the poster above.

Has worked for me for years too. If they forget you can also do the same by plugging the end of mouthpiece.

I always emphasize to remember how it feels. You can't see you face when you are playing (without a mirrow) but you can remember a feeling.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: stop cheek puffing Reply with quote

edit: Gently pull the corners of your lips back towards your rear teeth, and then while maintaining the 'pull-back' -

Squeeze the corners of your lips towards the center, and keep your lips pointed up & down towards each other.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Thu May 12, 2022 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:
Beginning band director here, and I've seen some cheek puffing. I like some of the remedies suggested, but remember, this is a kid we're taking about. The fix needs to be understandable and immediate. This is my method, and it works.

I start all of my students with the leadpipe, a mouthpiece, and a puh attack (but that's another topic). If they're puffing, they aren't engaging the muscles around the mouth and cheeks. This is known by all of us, but is obviously foreign to a beginner. They need to feel the muscles of the face engage.

As they're blowing the pipe I take my thumb and stop the air. This makes everything worse - cheeks out to the ears! But because there is something to blow against they can start to feel how the cheeks can be engaged. Use whatever language you need to help them engage those muscles. They ALWAYS figure it out. Then, pull your thumb off. They will play the leadpipe without puffing. It may take 2 or 3 times, but this usually fixes it in under 5 minutes.

20 years of beginners, it works for me, and more importantly, my students. Good luck!

yes
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: stop cheek puffing Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Squeeze the corners of your lips towards the center, and keep your lips pointed up & down towards each other.

no
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I start all of my students with the leadpipe, a mouthpiece, and a puh attack (but that's another topic).

That's ok as long as you are having the student simply blow air through the lips. If you REQUIRE a buzz for anything but the full instrument you are setting them up for habits of excessive effort and inefficiency.

Initiating the start of the air with "t" or "d" release THROUGH a gentle "p" lip posture is best.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That's ok as long as you are having the student simply blow air through the lips. If you REQUIRE a buzz for anything but the full instrument you are setting them up for habits of excessive effort and inefficiency."

Quite the opposite. Blowing air through the lead pipe/mouthpiece will produce a pitch of approximately Eb as the lips vibrate in sympathy with the standing wave. Blowing air without a sound requires undue tension to keep the lips from vibrating.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blowing air without a sound requires undue tension to keep the lips from vibrating.

Buzzing or playing a tone on ANYTHING but the full instrument requires more embouchure effort than correctly playing an equivalent pitch on the instrument.

Buzzing for a beginner encourages an excessive base-line of effort. This limits range and performance in general.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
Blowing air without a sound requires undue tension to keep the lips from vibrating.

Buzzing or playing a tone on ANYTHING but the full instrument requires more embouchure effort than correctly playing.

Now, how would either of you qualify that?

FWFW, I have used both the didgeridoo and Leadpipe blowing to my advantage and which, in neither case, helps me tighten up. Matter of fact, its loosened me up, leading to a more relaxed embouchure.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Quote:

Buzzing or playing a tone on ANYTHING but the full instrument requires more embouchure effort than correctly playing.

Now, how would either of you qualify that?

FWFW, I have used both the didgeridoo and Leadpipe blowing to my advantage and which, in neither case, helps me tighten up. Matter of fact, its loosened me up, leading to a more relaxed embouchure.

You could read Benade. Or there is an old ITG article that explains it quite well. PM me and I'll send it to you.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:

Buzzing or playing a tone on ANYTHING but the full instrument requires more embouchure effort than correctly playing an equivalent pitch on the instrument.

Buzzing for a beginner encourages an excessive base-line of effort. This limits range and performance in general.

We don't "buzz" the leadpipe, we "play" the leadpipe.

That's why my high school students regularly play up to a G with a big, open sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: