• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin 10, "Schilke" blank mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnbechtel

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Martin 10, "Schilke" blank mouthpiece Reply with quote

So, I decided to get a Martin mouthpiece out of curiosity. There isn't much analysis or discussion of individual Martin mouthpieces to hunt down.

I was surprised by this mouthpiece. It's not deep; I would say it has a fairly standard depth similar to a C cup, but a different contour and slope where it enters the throat. What interests me is that I sound drastically different on this mouthpiece. Was it intended for a certain sound? I have difficulty not sounding breathy on it, and tire more quickly. My usual mouthpiece is a Bach 6, and I can get a full, rich tone on that. I noticed that the Martin 10 gets unusually thin toward the end of the shank, which I would guess means the backbore is quite large there. Also, the insertion mark shows up closer to the end than most of my mouthpieces, meaning it doesn't fit into the receiver as far. The mouthpiece is about 1 mm longer than my Bach 6. Of course, the Bach 6 has a much deeper cup, my Bach 7 has a much deeper cup. Roughly as deep as a 7C, but the tone is very different, as are the playing characteristics. For me, it's not a help with the upper register, but gets diffuse on higher notes. I'm persistent though and I'm interested in learning my way around it.

Anyone have experience with this design of the Martin 10 or able to help with explaining it? I'm really surprised that it's difficult to make a focused sound. I mean, it certainly is a sound, if that's what it is supposed to do, if it's a period piece, kind of soft and whispery.

I've tried it on several trumpets with similar effect -- maybe the sound has to do with the insertion depth?

Anyway, help me figure this Martin 10 out if you like, it certainly is different.

Best,
Brent
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess I'd bet you solved it right here.

"I've tried it on several trumpets with similar effect -- maybe the sound has to do with the insertion depth?"

I have an old jet tone I ran across recently and it works great on my vintage horn but not as well on my Adams. So it could be related to the gap.

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
bnbechtel

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrumpeter wrote:
If I had to guess I'd bet you solved it right here.

"I've tried it on several trumpets with similar effect -- maybe the sound has to do with the insertion depth?"

I have an old jet tone I ran across recently and it works great on my vintage horn but not as well on my Adams. So it could be related to the gap.

I tried it on a Chicago Wm. Frank, and it fits about millimeter further into the receiver. I detect that it's easier to play. But I can't be completely certain yet. I'm getting better at playing on it. Still, it's dramatically different from a Bach 6. The sound is different from all of my other mouthpieces, and that is kind of weird. I'm probably going to keep at it until I figure out how to play well on it.

I recall having great difficulty playing on a Jet Tone in high school. Could just be me, I suppose.

Best,
Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: