• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warming up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Warming up Reply with quote

Adam tells us trumpet playing is 90% mental, 9% air, 1% everything else. Warming up, practicing, performing all follow this prescription.

If you are trying to "warm up" your chops (1%) you are going after the wrong thing.

Warming up is about playing the trumpet until your desired sound appears. Then you're ready to go.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up Reply with quote

But isn't your first playing of the day a way to gently prepare yourself for more strenuous playing? And isn't that "warming up" your embouchure? This seems to me a matter of semantics.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Warming up Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
And isn't that "warming up" your embouchure? This seems to me a matter of semantics.

If one adheres to the "90% mental, 9% air, 1% everything else" theory, then semantics are quite important. "Warming up" suggests preparing your muscles for heavy physical activity. Something like "getting into the zone" would be likely be a more appropriate term for an Adams student.

EDIT: FWIW I do not consider myself an Adams student, though I do find some parts of the method surprisingly effective.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: