• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Custom Crafted Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Olds Custom Crafted Trumpet Reply with quote

I picked up a 1969 Olds Custom Crafted P-10 Trumpet about 7 years ago off of Craigs List. A lady posted it as an F. E. Olds trumpet in good condition for $125. I was looking for a cheap used trumpet for my daughter to use in her 6th grade band. I asked her what was engraved on the bell. She replied "Only F.E. Olds and a serial number". I asked her to tell me exactly what it said on the bell. Anwser: "Custom Crafted 37117 by F.E. Olds Fullerton, Calf". It sounded like crap when I tried it. Bought it anyway. She was the original owner and played it with her church band. She took really good care of it. Her band director told her to get a trumpet that blended better with the band. When I got home, I saw that the valve alignment was way off. Someone put in really fat pads. I used a cheap boroscope and aligned the valves. It helped, but I still didn't play well. Last month I had Joe Loeffler in Chicago, to do a PVA on it. Joe was working on a Benge that I had picked up at an Estate Sales. OMG! The Olds now sounds and plays remarkably similar to the Benge. The 37117 Custom Crafted was designed to be a lightweight Mendez. Which means it is basically a lightweight French Besson. It only weighs 32.1 Oz. My Benge weighs 35.6 oz and a Schilke B-2 I used to own weighed 33.4 Oz. Here is a photo with the 1948 Chicago Benge on top and the Olds Custom Crafted on the bottom. Does anyone else have an Olds Custom Crafted Trumpet that they don't like? If so, you may want to get a PVA done on it by someone who knows what he's doing. PS: The lady ended up getting a Bach student trumpet. At least she blends in better now.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chicago_Benge_%26_Olds_Custom_Crafted_Trumpets.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: