• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

----

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: ---- Reply with quote

Problemo Solved

Last edited by CTrumpeter on Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks extremely normal to me if everything is working well
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mark? My top lip looks like I've been branded. You're fine.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no pro, but it would help if you circle your concern.

The top lip looks like your tooth marks/indentations. I have one as well on one side, so does my brother. I think for us, we both have one tooth that sticks slightly out more than the other... Rolling in and resting the lip against the tooth would make it more so. I would say that may be kinda common, you should see the teeth indentations on other pros. whew! they make me feel better looking at them.

If you're playing in the red on the top, I know that it might be considered controversial and maybe that's what you're eluding to? I will tell you that for the life of me being color blind I can't see where its landing.

Charlie has a video about playing in the red, and wikitone has some beef on the subject. Both are in different sides of the fence on the subject.

So I'll just put it all here and let you be judge and jury.

https://youtu.be/KOhOM1fNwvE
https://wilktone.com/?p=3273

At the end of the day maybe just keep on keeping on? if it works and you have never blistered, etc and are a pro, who's to say? There are positions that definitely don't work for me at all! I kind of ended up going where my top tooth would allow the mouthpiece to rest without discomfort.

Keep in mind I am not giving any real advice, I don't have the experience to really comment on this. However I dd want to point you to reference information you may have not seen, which I have that I looked at when I came back to playing and had embouchure issues.

I am of course not trying to start anything, I have too much respect for all the great musicians here at the Herald to do that. At the end of the day, we are here to support each other and discuss theoretical information that is on our mind.

I hoped that helped and not the other, I'd feel really bad in that case.

-marc
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets down to whether your mouthpiece placement and overall embouchure is:
1) Doing the things it should
and
2) Not doing things it shouldn't

Do you have a feeling that 'something' is preventing further improvement? Are there weaknesses that you would like to overcome?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
CTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problemo Solved

Last edited by CTrumpeter on Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrumpeter wrote:

My main concern is playing in the red, sometimes it seems like I am doing so, and at other times it doesn't. When I'm actively playing and looking in the mirror, it looks like I'm entirely outside of the red, but sometimes the marks on my chops (mainly what I think is the inner rim) afterwards seem like that might be otherwise? It doesn't seem to affect anything, so I am most likely just an overthinking trumpeter

The mark is often a bit misleading as to the actual rim placement.
If you flex (slightly pucker) your embouchure, you will feel a 'ridge' where the pink of the lip meets your normal skin. That's the obicularis oris. If you place the mouthpiece ontop, does the top of the rim of the mouthpiece sit below the ridge, ontop of the ridge or above the ridge? In a perfect world, it usually wont be below, that would be a true "playing in the red" placement, although give there's no obvious mouthpiece impression, even if this is you, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're having pain or other playing issues with swelling/endurance etc.

If the top of the rim is ontop or anchoring above the obic oris muscle you're 'normal'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: