• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet on the beach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Trumpet on the beach Reply with quote

I'm moving to a coastal area soon enough, and passing thought, does the sea air have any adverse affect on trumpets? Cars rust much faster due to the salt air, so it was along those lines I was wondering - and slightly concerned.
Though I'd imagine brass and lacquer being what they are probably means no adverse affect, but still.

Anyone have any input?
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living within 100 meters of the sea any raw brass or silver plated horns soon tarnish if left out in the air, kept in cases or a large plastic bad is ok. The tarnish on raw brass is very hard to remove short of a buffing wheel.

Regards, Stuart.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before having a brass tech use a buffing wheel on raw brass, you might try Bar Keepers Friend (Soft Cleanser)...the liquid form, that is. I like it better than Brasso...not as abrasive, yet super effective in removing oxidation from raw brass. It's also cheaper per ounce than Brasso, often found in grocery stores, doesn't require as much "elbow grease," and has more of a pleasant smell than Brasso. The tall bottle says that it is for Stainless Steel and Porcelain, but it works great on raw brass, and when I've gotten a little on adjacent silver or gold plating or even lacquered areas, it does not seem to mar those surfaces at all.

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/soft-cleanser/

"...Easily remove soap scum, rust stains, tarnish, and mineral deposits with BKF Soft Cleanser."
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you didn't ask, I would imagine it has a quickening effect on raw brass.

I grew up i Hawai`i less than a mile from the ocean and never noticed any effect on my, or my friends, horns. Never did any more cleaning regimen than I do now,

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun May 22, 2022 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Although you didn't ask, I would imagine it has a quickening effect on raw brass.

What does this mean?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

What does this mean?

It means that exposing raw brass to salt air may affect the finish quicker than if you lived in Phoenix.

But that's conjecture, since neither I nor any of my colleagues played raw-brass horns.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience regarding raw brass, but I did live in a salt rich atmosphere on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for decades in the immediate proximity of the water witnessing the slow destruction of many metal and non-metal objects due to the environment.

I practiced outside very near the water regularly and, many times per year, played outdoor gigs on or near the beach with a local group with my silver plated '71 Benge and my '76 Getzen flugelhorn with no adverse effects to the finish on either. I did have a later experience of red rot in the main tuning slide of the Benge, but only after a decade and a half of storage with non use; salt air may or may not have had a hand in that. Replaced the tuning slide a few years after starting up again in 2014 and this horn is once again in regular rotation in my routine. BTW, no damage to the '76 Getzen fglhn, finish or otherwise. I now live 200 miles inland on the edge of a fresh water lake and have had no negative experience regarding my musical instruments.

My suggestion, keep your horns clean and practice regularly! Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about the sand... And not only the sand on the beach but also the sand in the air since it can be very windy along the coast.
I remember doing a gig in a beach resorce, very nice and well payed.
I had to clean my trumpet very well to get rid of the last traces of sand dust inside my instrument
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Set my mind at ease.

Raw brass isn't a concern, mine's an almost new lacquered Xeno so according to what people are saying in this thread it should be fine. But I will definitely be careful on the beach re sand. That would be common sense.

Just something I was a tad concerned about so again, thanks for the responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: