• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB Doubler flugelhorn mouthpiece question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a__l__a__n

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: ACB Doubler flugelhorn mouthpiece question Reply with quote

I'm on the waiting list for an ACB Doubler with the ACB Fab 5 mouthpiece.
However... I'm a Yamaha 16C4 player on trumpet. The ACB web site says the Fab 5 is similar in diameter to a Bach 7C. I know it's conventional wisdom that you should stick to the same or similar diameter when switching between the two, and the Fab 5 isn't close to Y16C4.

I ordered the Doubler because I'm trying to limit my expenditure, so I'm reluctant to spend another $155 for one of their custom mouthpieces. I could pick up a Yamaha 16F4 easily enough but am wondering whether that will become yet another mouthpiece that stays in a dusty box in the closet.

What has worked for others in my situation?
Thanks in advance...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the Fab 5 and see what you think. I have one and it feels a little thin (width of rim, not sound). I also have the Manchester flugelhorn mouthpiece and really like it. If you're a Yamaha person I'd probably just go ahead and buy the Yamaha, assuming it's the right shank.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: ACB Doubler flugelhorn mouthpiece question Reply with quote

a__l__a__n wrote:
I know it's conventional wisdom that you should stick to the same or similar diameter when switching between the two, and the Fab 5 isn't close to Y16C4.

While everyone is different, I agree that this is a good place to start. For example, if you use 16C4 on the trumpet, a 16F4 on the flugelhorn is a reasonable choice. And at $45, it's relatively inexpensive.

I use a Bach 6C on the trumpet and a Yamaha 13F4 on the flugelhorn. The Yamaha 13 rim has about the same diameter and feel of a Bach 6.

Mikr
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I find the flugel to be a bit more forgiving on diameter, though the two you're talking about are pretty far apart.

I bought my son an ACB Doubler flugel and like it a lot. It came with what I think was an unmarked mouthpiece and I bought an ACB 5MDF piece (my son's preferred size). I can play his horn with either of those pieces or my preferred Yamaha 14F4 and all work pretty well. I find nothing wrong with the stock Yamaha pieces though I tend to favor the ACB a bit if I want a more diffuse sound.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - start with the 16F4. Until you try that, how will you know in which direction to go? And expect a lot of "I use a XXX, you should try one too."
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particularly if this is your first flugel you can't go wrong with any size stock Yamaha. After you get your legs on it you might later favor something different but the Yamaha will likely always get the job done particularly for section work. For a smoky, darker, more diffuse sound there are no shortage of specialty pieces available, but as I've said, I wouldn't start with that since it could hurt your acclimation to the big horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the numbers on the ACB Fab mouthpieces roughly correspond with Bach sizes?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, start of with the Fab 5, which you said comes with the instrument. Get used to it first,

Then, depending on what kind of music you play and what sound concept you want to achieve will direct you to what other mouthpiece may be good for you.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to wait until you get the Fab 5 and compare it to your present trpt. mpc. I doubt that it will be your go-to flugelhorn npc. considering the size of your present one, but you might also find a different size/configuration would be best for you and A/Bing both mpcs. might give you a clue as where to look.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to kehaulani... good idea on multiple levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: