• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ITG horns and gear... what was good/bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised Bach had Mariachis, Commercials, or Artisans at the conference, as I heard from a pretty reliable source that these are all probably going away before the end of the year.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
I'm surprised Bach had Mariachis, Commercials, or Artisans at the conference, as I heard from a pretty reliable source that these are all probably going away before the end of the year.

I don’t remember the lineup that Bach brought, but they did not have an artisan. I wanted to a-b test it against a 190s37. Someone in the lower floor had one, but their 19037 was lacquer. I expected a bit more for their private room than standard pieces…. Maybe the shipped all their other stuff to NAMM?

The guy running the Schilke booth was pretty smart, he wore ear plugs! Was pretty informative too. Some of these room had a single guy in a corner playing with their phone.

I went with my big brother, whom is overdue for a horn replacement. It was interesting to see how fast he could pair down to just 4 horn very quickly. He tried nearly everything!
Georgetown, TX
2022 Bach 190s37 artist select
1976 Schilke X3lb
Jupiter 846l black lacquer
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:

The Bach room didn’t have the Mariachi or Commercial from what I remember. They did have the L bore model though, whatever that’s called.

A different vendor that was in the same room Thane Trumpets had a large selection of Bach Strads…and surprisingly they had the Bach Mariachi…as well as a NY#7, plus other harder to find Strads. They actually had a much larger selection than Bach had in their room.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puzzleheadedcow wrote:

Are the Lotus horns the same as the Resonance ones? They sure seem similar.

PHC

Definitely not!
My horns are designed, machined, bent, put together and so on, by my wife and I. (Same for the mouthpieces).
I don’t know who is making Lotus horns this month (or 6 months ago, or 1 year ago…)
One thing is for sure, you can come and visit my shop to see all the parts being made and put together.
I mean, I have an actual shop and I actually make my own things. This is what a trumpet and mouthpiece maker does, right?

Sorry but I keep receiving emails from all around the world and I waste way too much time telling people that I do NOT make Lotus horns, I did not design them (well, in a way there’s my input… ).
And for the millionth time: AR stands for Antonio Rapacciuolo, a trumpet player that makes mouthpieces and trumpets well before Lotus came up with those extremely similar looking (but just looking) horns.

I would have loved to be at the ITG to meet so many friends and customers but honestly I don’t see the point of staying away from my family when I already struggle fulfilling the super long list of orders I have.
Same for touring shops, I have to turn down all the requests as there aren’t simply enough days in a year.
But again, people from all around the world come here to Italy (I live in an AMAZING place near the alps, with lots of cows and horses), and here you can test the thousands of different mouthpieces I make.
I could never bring all the things I make in a couple of suitcases.
But at the same time there are several GREAT dealers that carry my things in the US, in random order: Thompson Music, Springfield Music (Donovan Bankhead), Josh Landress, Chad McCullough, Luke Malewicz, Jared Hall, Oscar Utterstrom, Seth Vatt, Bruce Lee.

Long time since my last visit on TH!
Ciao!

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
puzzleheadedcow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anrapa wrote:
[quote="puzzleheadedcow"
Are the Lotus horns the same as the Resonance ones? They sure seem similar.

PHC

Definitely not!
My horns are designed, machined, bent, put together and so on, by my wife and I. (Same for the mouthpieces).
I don’t know who is making Lotus horns this month (or 6 months ago, or 1 year ago…)
One thing is for sure, you can come and visit my shop to see all the parts being made and put together.
I mean, I have an actual shop and I actually make my own things. This is what a trumpet and mouthpiece maker does, right?

Sorry but I keep receiving emails from all around the world and I waste way too much time telling people that I do NOT make Lotus horns, I did not design them (well, in a way there’s my input… ).
And for the millionth time: AR stands for Antonio Rapacciuolo, a trumpet player that makes mouthpieces and trumpets well before Lotus came up with those extremely similar looking (but just looking) horns.

I would have loved to be at the ITG to meet so many friends and customers but honestly I don’t see the point of staying away from my family when I already struggle fulfilling the super long list of orders I have.
Same for touring shops, I have to turn down all the requests as there aren’t simply enough days in a year.
But again, people from all around the world come here to Italy (I live in an AMAZING place near the alps, with lots of cows and horses), and here you can test the thousands of different mouthpieces I make.
I could never bring all the things I make in a couple of suitcases.
But at the same time there are several GREAT dealers that carry my things in the US, in random order: Thompson Music, Springfield Music (Donovan Bankhead), Josh Landress, Chad McCullough, Luke Malewicz, Jared Hall, Oscar Utterstrom, Seth Vatt, Bruce Lee.

Long time since my last visit on TH!
Ciao![/quote]

Oh wow! thank you for the information! I'm sorry if I upset you. I am new to the custom trumpet world after coming back from a long layoff. It's interesting to see all these cool horns. Back when I was in school it was Bach, Schilke, Getzen, Olds and maybe an occasional Selmer. It's crazy how many high end things are now out there.

PHC
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not upset at all, don't worry.
Yeah, lots of new brands lately, some make, some assemble, some put a name of something made by someone else, some...
Players just deserve to know what they are buying, especially when they are spending lots of money.
If you ask a company if they can do a custom rim or cup and they say no, well, probably they don't make their stuff. Or maybe they copied something from someone else and they just make them for as cheap as possible as they don't have to pay for machines, development and so on. Or maybe they just want to capitalize as much as possible without caring enough for the customer.
This morning I made a hour long video call with a customer who drew, live, his three new trombone mouthpieces. When I was just a player I never had this opportunity. I think everyone should have this opportunity.

If a company has 30 sizes in their portfolio I would ask myself a few questions. I'm now well over 2000 custom mouthpieces and several thousands of variations of my own stock sizes.
That must mean something, right?

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don’t have the money to buy an AR horn, I’d love to test them! I have just been in touch with Tony about some mouthpieces. Great guy to work with and very quick to respond also to lowly amateurs like me. No delivery problems either; unlike another company that makes lots of promises.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anrapa wrote:
Not upset at all, don't worry.
Yeah, lots of new brands lately, some make, some assemble, some put a name of something made by someone else, some...
Players just deserve to know what they are buying, especially when they are spending lots of money.
If you ask a company if they can do a custom rim or cup and they say no, well, probably they don't make their stuff. Or maybe they copied something from someone else and they just make them for as cheap as possible as they don't have to pay for machines, development and so on. Or maybe they just want to capitalize as much as possible without caring enough for the customer.
This morning I made a hour long video call with a customer who drew, live, his three new trombone mouthpieces. When I was just a player I never had this opportunity. I think everyone should have this opportunity.

If a company has 30 sizes in their portfolio I would ask myself a few questions. I'm now well over 2000 custom mouthpieces and several thousands of variations of my own stock sizes.
That must mean something, right?

I guess so.
But at EUR 6k/up for a horn, how many people is it really helping?
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot comment on the trumpets as I've never played them, but the mouthpieces are very nice. They play great and feel very nice on the lips. Had a custom decoration done on one once and it looks amazing too.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
I guess so.
But at EUR 6k/up for a horn, how many people is it really helping?

Would you rather not read information about horns costing 6k/up?

Also, think how many factory made horns are now in the 4/5k range. There's a lot to discuss about why they cost so much and how, in the near future, they will be in the 5/6k range, considering how inflation is skyrocketing.
I'm 6 years into trumpet making and I never raised my prices, while the already very expensive materials I use have increased by up to 250% in the past months.

Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, think how many factory made horns are now in the 4/5k range. There's a lot to discuss about why they cost so much and how, in the near future, they will be in the 5/6k range, considering how inflation is skyrocketing.

Prices on new horns are rising fast. About 18 months ago I purchased a new 50th Anniversary model 19037 in lacquer minus case and mouthpiece for about $2,600. The dealer ordered it from Conn Selmer for me. To purchase that same horn today -- also minus case and mouthpiece -- would cost $4,300 directly from Conn Selmer ($3,900 if you also skip the engraving). Not a perfect comparison, but certainly a significant increase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: