• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brightest Shires Trumpet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CVLA models -- I've played the CVLA ML and L bore versions -- followed by the BLW and then the Destino III (ML bore, haven't played the M bore) are the brightest-sounding Shires models I have played.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightest Shires Trumpet? Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
“If I am not mistaken S. E. Shires is having an open house event this summer. Your profile says you are in NY; Shires is about twenty miles west of Boston. Maybe make a trip over to play test some horns?”

I may look into that. Thanks!

I saw it on social media somewhere but now cannot seem to relocate it [facepalm emoji]. But I'm confident they're having one!
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The CVLA models -- I've played the CVLA ML and L bore versions -- followed by the BLW and then the Destino III (ML bore, haven't played the M bore) are the brightest-sounding Shires models I have played.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brightest Shires Trumpet? Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
“If I am not mistaken S. E. Shires is having an open house event this summer. Your profile says you are in NY; Shires is about twenty miles west of Boston. Maybe make a trip over to play test some horns?”

I did that - drove to the factory the day before they shut down the state for Covid. I had corresponded with Alexis quite a bit beforehand, so she had set out horns that were more likely to be a good match (and a few others). She didn't tell me what they were, though, so as not to influence the results. I may have played the horn you are inquiring about but I would not know.

I quickly arrived at the horn I intended to get, just by play testing, but it could easily have gone another way. The factory tour was fabulous, too. The whole experience was great fun and resulted in by far the best horn I've ever played (Destino III medium bore). Keep in mind I play West Coast-style jazz, 2nd in big bands, and was not especially looking for 'bright'. Anyway, give Alexis (Alex) a call and go.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt. Wow…a blind test! What a great way to find the right horn!
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack001 wrote:
It really depends what you want, and what you're trying to improve on with your Schilke -- which is also a great horn!

I suppose I should fully disclose that I do in fact work at Shires, and have been playtesting their horns since 2017. Every trumpet that has left that building since, I have inspected, played, and adjusted if needed. I've played every model they've made and have about a good idea as any about how they compare to each other and other manufacturer's offerings.

So... ask away I suppose!

Im asking away!
Im looking at buying a used BLW with W leadpipe with .347 venturi and X tuning slide. I'm out for something bright, that sizzles easily. Could this fit the bill? Or is the destino brighter?
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a CVLA-L in silver with a third-valve slide water key. It should arrive in early Fall. I figure if I don't like it better than the B3b, I can find a buyer in the marketplace. And if I do like it better, I know I can find a taker for the Schilke!
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brightest Shires Trumpet? Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

I quickly arrived at the horn I intended to get, just by play testing, but it could easily have gone another way. The factory tour was fabulous, too. The whole experience was great fun and resulted in by far the best horn I've ever played (Destino III medium bore). Keep in mind I play West Coast-style jazz, 2nd in big bands, and was not especially looking for 'bright'. Anyway, give Alexis (Alex) a call and go.

Matt, you absolutely made the right choice!!!! You sound amazing. (Thanks for the links!) I'm normally not a big fan of the style of music you play, but I kept listening because it was so smooth and relaxing, technically perfect and seemingly effortless...although I'm assuming some effort was involved! Wow...how lucky we are to tap into the wisdom of so many professionals on this forum.
Thank you, TH!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Brightest Shires Trumpet? Reply with quote

I worked with Matt Finley during the '70's in NY. He was a great player back then and listening to his new album is an amazing player now! I enjoyed just listening to him back then and every gig was an absolute pleasure...plus...he's one of the nicest guys, and most humble, that you'll ever meet When he says something pay attention! He knows what he's talking about! Congrats Matt...keep on keepin' on brother!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: