• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting up after Watchman Procedure short layoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Starting up after Watchman Procedure short layoff Reply with quote

At 70 years old and 8 years into a comeback after 14 years away, I am , or have been a very healthy person lifelong with the exception of a hereditary bleeding disorder, HHT (Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia). My regular doctor (26 years) diagnosed AFIB during my annual physical last June sending me to his personal Cardiologist 2 days later. I went through Cardioversion after about 6 weeks of blood thinners (a risk with HHT) and regained sinus rhythm. After a bout with Covid in January, I began the busiest run of practice and performances, including much travel, that I've experienced in decades. While traveling with a Show Choir pit band to Orlando FL for competition and performances at Hard Rock Live, I started getting Epistaxis (nosebleeds) often at inopportune times. Epistaxis has been a fairly common occurrence for the last 10 years of my life but usually relatively easy to manage. Not so with blood thinners in the mix.

The Watchman Procedure was very logically recommended by my cardiologist after my schedule started to wind down about a month ago so I researched the heck out of it and got it scheduled right away with a goal of total blood thinner elimination after 45 days. I practiced for the 848th day of at least 1 hour string (a personal discipline?/joy!) up until the day before the surgery. I was hospitalized for 1 day after undergoing the procedure, released, but then readmitted the very next day for apparently unrelated blood pressure fluctuations (cause still unknown after very many scans and tests) and spent 4 more days in the hospital. My medical team saw no reason for me to not begin practicing again when I got home.

I began a new string (hopefully exceeding my prior) of 1 hour+ practice this afternoon taking it very easy; Marcus Printup style 7 position long tones, Bai Lin #1, 2, 3, and playing #4 down and back up 4x each position followed by a very slow and light warm down with equal rest between each exercise. All Good!

Not seeking any medical advice, just publicly celebrating the successful re-start !!! Glad to get back after a week layoff! Quoting a song very popular during my youth "I feel good!"

Mike

BTW, my youngest son is a PA, so I get lots of attention from him, a true benefit in many ways!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, friend! I have a good bit of experience with cardiology stuff. Sounds like you have wonderful doctors helping you navigate these issues.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're on the road to recovery and able to do what you love!

-marc
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to read you're doing well. Keep up the good work!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Glad you are doing well. I’m glad for your quick recovery and return to performing.
Regards,
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words!

Day 3!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: