• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

5C ish alternatives

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this may be a little off the wall, but it depends on what you want. I was playing a Curry 3BC on my Bb and A Bach Symphonic 1 1/2C on my Bach 239 25A C trumpet.. I wanted something for legit work with more core and a darker sound. Zafaris mentioned the Bach 6. Somebody a while back on TH did a thread about a Yamaha Hagstrom mouthpiece. The rim is somewhere between a Bach 5 and 7 or maybe 6 with a 1B cup. That mouthpiece worker for me and made playing the C trumpet easier with about the same sound as the 1 1/2C. I didn’t skip a beat from the 3BC and my range has improved.
Just another avenue of thought.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to correct the diameter of the Hagstrom that has been mentioned many times on this site. It is equivalent to the Bach 7 family. Not the 5 or 6. For those of you that don't play this diameter, they seem like the same, but they are different. Furthermore Yamaha doesnt seem to publish the diameter anywhere. But you can find it here.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/yamaha_mouthpiece_john_hagstrom.htm
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Irving. Much more like a 7 size.
I have two Hagstrom model and they are no way as "big" as a 5 or 6 size. At first they "sorta" feel bigger than they are.
After a few months of use, I came to terms with the fact that they do have a great sound, are easy to play, and very solid upper register to high C and beyond, I did not have control over the notes below the staff.
They were just too small.
R. Tomasek
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GR 65 and e65's are all great options for 5C players that give you a variety of cup choices. I preferred the e65C** but try to check out a few different models.

The Pickett Lazarus "Coloratura" model is in that size range. It has a 25 throat and, I believe, the #2 Pickett backbore which is on the large size. It is an excellent all-around mouthpiece. I find that my articulations "pop" nicely with this rim.

The Stomvi Flex models also give you some choices in the 5 range that should be worth investigating. K.O. is good about working with you to find the right fit. He used to be willing to go back and forth a bit through the mail to dial you in. I'm not sure that is still available but it is a very nice option to have.

I am interested in the new Reeves Dan Rosenboom model which has a Reeves 6 classical rim with a medium deep cup from what I understand. Anyone out there played on of these yet? https://bobreeves.com/blog/dan-rosenboom-signature-model-trumpet-mouthpiece/

Quite by accident on the TH marketplace I ran across 2 Toshi models based on Mount Vernon 5C's. They are both outstanding mouthpieces.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
dbacon wrote:
Mark Curry's 5 is a good all around rim.

Maybe true but they don't have the right sound.

That's your opinion and is a legit one, but you can't say they don't "have the right sound" for the OP, this is something he have to experience himself.
In my opinion Curry #5 rim is a great one, it gives you a big open sound, excellent flexibility and is easy to play, and you have a lot of options in cup shapes and backbores to experiment without changin the rim feel.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s something that already confused me in the first statement. How can a rim produce a big open sound? I’d guess there is a much more significant contribution from cup and backbore.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
That’s something that already confused me in the first statement. How can a rim produce a big open sound? I’d guess there is a much more significant contribution from cup and backbore.

Try a flat large rim and a well rounded, thin one, on the same cup and you'll see.
Each rim has his own features: a flat rim will help with attacks but not in flexibility; a thin rounded rim will help with flexibility but not in attacks and -for me- will open the sound. Comin from a Curyy #2 (flat rim bigger cup) the Curry #5 (more rounded, smaller rim and cup) gives me a broader, more open sound.

P.S. Of course a cup/bbore has a bigger role in sound production.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
delano wrote:
dbacon wrote:
Mark Curry's 5 is a good all around rim.

Maybe true but they don't have the right sound.

That's your opinion and is a legit one, but you can't say they don't "have the right sound" for the OP, this is something he have to experience himself.
In my opinion Curry #5 rim is a great one, it gives you a big open sound, excellent flexibility and is easy to play, and you have a lot of options in cup shapes and backbores to experiment without changin the rim feel.

You are right with that. And I was not 100% serious.
On the other hand, I tried several Curry trumpet mp's, the 7C (or 7M, I forgot), the 8.5B and later the 3BC and still own the 8.5DC. 8.5VC and the 8.5BBC for cornet and none of them has been a succes for me (nowadays I play bigger sizes).
The trumpet mp's were sounding (much) too bright for me and I could not realise a full bodied trumpet sound on them, same for the cornet DC (though this means Deep Cornet the cup is not deep at all for a cornet mp).
The VC rim is a really difficult one and it was not playable for me, only the BBC is quite a good mouthpiece IMO.
I have no idea whether these experiences are only mine or that they have broader meaning, these things can be (very) personal.
At least my remark had SOME ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: