• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge 6X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Benge 6X Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me about the Benge 6X or Kanstul Burbank 6X trumpet. Is it versatile? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as veritile as you are.

It's a large bore instrument from the LA era, with perhaps a handful made earlier in Burbank.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandson saw this post and asked, "what's a 6X"? I told him that it's 1 louder than a 5X! Thank you Spinal Tap!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ny that logic..."It goes to seven".
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge 6X mandrel was the large bore design dating back to the Chicago days. The bell is a little bit bigger than the 3X by physical volume and has a darker, more symphonic sound. Great all-around horns, but still a lightweight "west coast" style build. The CG model has a 6X bell with the famous .464" choke at the bell tail. A regular 6X should be .468" through the valves and bell tail, but it has the standard Benge leadpipe.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the Benge 6X is versatile and great horn. I had one years ago that I used for everything from big band lead to wind ensemble in military bands and even in a local orchestra. I wish I had kept that horn, it did it all. I now have a 1975 Benge 6X in excellent shape, it’s a time capsule and has been blueprinted. However, I’m getting ready for grad school as a trumpet performance major and need different equipment, I put a down payment on a Thane Performance and will need more $ when it’s done. So, the Benge will be up for sale soon.

If you have a chance, try one.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of horns, but I keep a 6 in the stable for doing rock gigs because it can back off and be mellow when needed, but can scream if you can fill it up. I've used it in the past for 'legit' gigs by just backing off and letting the sound calm down and darken up. Also (when I was younger) played CC's that could part your hair. Very flexible horn if you can fill it up. Still trying to find someone who will do a tuning-bell conversion on it for me. (Landress said he could, but then ghosted me).
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
I have a bunch of horns, but I keep a 6 in the stable for doing rock gigs because it can back off and be mellow when needed, but can scream if you can fill it up. I've used it in the past for 'legit' gigs by just backing off and letting the sound calm down and darken up. Also (when I was younger) played CC's that could part your hair. Very flexible horn if you can fill it up. Still trying to find someone who will do a tuning-bell conversion on it for me. (Landress said he could, but then ghosted me).

Mike Del Quadro could for you.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:

dershem, I once had a conversation with Zig Kanstul that included something about tuning bell conversions. The only bit I remember is that he never found success converting a Benge trumpet to a tuning bell design. He didn't know why. He just said they didn't respond well to that modification.

Take that for what it's worth.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
dershem wrote:

Mike said he was busy and referred me to Landress. :/
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jim Becker at Osmun?
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
Jon Arnold wrote:
dershem wrote:

Mike said he was busy and referred me to Landress. :/

Sorry to hear that. Charlie Melk, Jim Becker are also more than capable to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: