• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul French Besson bottom valve caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Kanstul French Besson bottom valve caps Reply with quote

I'm looking for a single or set of bottom valve caps for. Kanstul French Besson horn. Preferably in gold if possible or just lacquer would be fine too!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for authenticity, or simply a set of matching bottom caps? I have a Conn 60B that was missing a bottom cap, and after a fairly thorough but unsuccessful search, I wound up having Pickett Brass make a set of bottom caps in their lightest weight with the correct thread pitch to fit the Conn. They look very nice (and they don't stick out as inappropriate for the horn), but they will never be mistaken for factory original.

You could also have a machine shop copy an original French Besson bottom cap, but that could get very expensive.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know a repair shop that has an account w/Allied Supply, they have a few Kanstul Besson parts in inventory. Don't know about your particular part, but you could ask.
https://yourbrass.com/
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Allied added some Kanstul parts to their catalog with the 7/2020 revision of their price list. “Besson-style” bottom caps were one of the additions - but let your local shop know they are not in the printed catalog, just the price list!

(For folks who don’t know, Allied will only sell to “industry professionals” with an account and a Sales Tax number.)
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
Yes. Allied added some Kanstul parts to their catalog with the 7/2020 revision of their price list. “Besson-style” bottom caps were one of the additions . . .

This is great news for the OP!

I had heard that Allied got some boxes of Kanstul parts from B.A.C. Horn Doctors when B.A.C. bought Kanstul's assets. A local brass tech I know checked with Allied to see if I could order a spare flugelhorn third valve trigger, but they didn't have any of those. It sounded like the Kanstul spares they had were very limited.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are limited in scope and supply. I got mouthpiece receivers, which are great to have. I used one on my "Kanstul Besson" custom horn.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: