• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To sell or keep a horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: To sell or keep a horn Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have sold a couple horns in my life, mostly to people I know, and did a trade online using Facebook Marketplace. I have a horn or 2 I'm considering selling but I'm in no rush to. I'm not in a rush for cash, and I'm considering just holding onto them thinking that they will hold their value, and the value of the horns will stay in proportion with inflation. But really, I don't know much about buying and selling used horns. Does anyone have any resources or advice to share?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, I'd rather sell here at TH's Marketplace than anywhere else. I've sold on Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist and Facebook's Marketplace... But I like TH.

There's no charge, so we can offer a lower price (not having to recoup Ebay's 13% or whatever they charge). And when people buy here, they don't have to pay tax, which probably saves them 7-9%. That's a prossible saving of close to 25%! And I feel it's a bit like a family. Granted, a somewhat argumentative, disfunctional family - but like a family nonetheless.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever did it I would probably use a broker like ACB, Horntrader or my local store.

They can price it, keep their commissions and take the risks and deal with potential customers for me. As long as I get my money I’d be good with that.

I’m sure some will chime in with both goods and bad experiences, moving their own horns or using a broker, would be interesting to see if there are any actual bad broker stories…

-marc
Ancientram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Sell or Keep a Horn Reply with quote

Over the years, I've bought and sold a few of trumpets on eBay. I've bought and sold French horns, guitars, and lutes on eBay. I've also bought and sold trumpets here on TH. Always dealt with PayPal. Never been burned. I've not used Facebook, Craig's List, or Reverb for instruments.

You can cast a wider net on eBay and if you're selling student horns, eBay may be the place to go. They do have some protections for sellers.

Otherwise, your target market is right here on TH. With the exception of a few dirt bags that get called out early, the crowd here is a pretty good bunch. Fine trumpets do seem to appreciate in value. I see horns selling (at least asking prices) for more these days than similar/like horns even just a year or so ago.

My two cents. YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the value of used horns will keep pace with inflation. We are now exiting a period of reduced production of new horns due to Covid. Supply and demand suggests that this will remove support for prices at the current level.

It may end up being the case that used horn prices keep up with inflation. But I would not consider this a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
I'm not sure the value of used horns will keep pace with inflation. We are now exiting a period of reduced production of new horns due to Covid. Supply and demand suggests that this will remove support for prices at the current level.

It may end up being the case that used horn prices keep up with inflation. But I would not consider this a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Good points, Tom. I think some vintage horns are seriously good investments, but some are losers as well. As for newer horns, you bring up good thoughts.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there is generally no advantage to holding onto a horn unless (1) it is rare and sought after, or (2) you don't expect a new model to come out.

For example, Martin Committees and Olds Super Recordings are only getting scarcer.

On the other hand, if you were holding onto a Yamaha 8335LA thinking it would not decrease in value, and Yamaha suddenly announces the 8335LAII, you probably lost some money.

Another consideration is the condition of the horn. If you are holding onto it, make sure you keep it (very) clean and well oiled. Red rot and sticky valves will obviously have a negative impact on the value of the horn....

Good luck!
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got started buying-trying-testing-reselling brass instruments while a high school freshman (that was about 1964). I am frankly addicted to the feel and smell and thrill of finding brass treasure. Aside from a few disappointments and the odd beginner horn, I get twinges of regret for most of the ones I "set free". I make a little on just about every one I sell, and have about 80 or so scattered around presently. My wife is quite tolerant, but when people ask how I get away with, I say, "No man was ever shot by his wife while doing dishes!"

Anyway, I think my point is, if you still enjoy the horn, can maintain it, don't need the space or the money, keep it. If the space is worth more than the horn, list it.

I would add something about keeping any horn. If you are putting it away for any period, let it dry before storing. I pull the slides or the valves, and if possible leave it out on a secure stand. Then before storage, lube it and blow oil through the pipes. I often leave the slides out even after drying it out.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a particularly good time to sell an instrument, especially if it's rare and/or one of your favorites. If you look at the "Completed/Sold" checkboxes on ebay for Benge trumpets sold, the prices paid are mostly far below the asking prices you see on a search.
Even Bach isn't bringing all that much, except for a very few rare horns.
https://yourbrass.com/
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you all sharing your experience in this! Lots of things to consider.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing worth mentioning is plating.
If you have a gold horn that may be something to consider as well.

Within the last year I asked 2 different places about the
price to replate a gold horn. (3-4k were their estimates I believe.)

Makes it an interesting consideration when buying or selling a horn
that we see for sale under that replating price.

Interestingly the price of gold has not moved much in the last year
when you think of the other commodities we use.
Maybe it will jump again later.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Another thing worth mentioning is plating.
If you have a gold horn that may be something to consider as well.

Within the last year I asked 2 different places about the
price to replate a gold horn. (3-4k were their estimates I believe.)

Makes it an interesting consideration when buying or selling a horn
that we see for sale under that replating price.

Interestingly the price of gold has not moved much in the last year
when you think of the other commodities we use.
Maybe it will jump again later.

I've gotten an estimate closer to $2000-$2500 for gold plating a horn in the US, however Martin Böhme in Germany is able to gold plate his horns for much cheaper. Gold plating only adds about $800 on top of his lacquered option.

Any idea why gold plating is so much cheaper in Germany versus the US??
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've gotten an estimate closer to $2000-$2500 for gold plating a horn in the US, however Martin Böhme in Germany is able to gold plate his horns for much cheaper. Gold plating only adds about $800 on top of his lacquered option.

Bach charges an extra $1854 for gold plate on a new horn. Not sure the reason for the $1,000 difference.

Quote:
Within the last year I asked 2 different places about the price to replate a gold horn. (3-4k were their estimates I believe.)

Replating will typically cost much more than plating a new horn as there is additional work required to prepare the horn for replating.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
If you look at the "Completed/Sold" checkboxes on ebay for Benge trumpets sold, the prices paid are mostly far below the asking prices you see on a search.
Very interesting, thanks for this...I've been trying to find one but seems like most
(if not all) have had work done. Maybe that's why they are less expensive/not vintage? I dunno, but would figure
any horn that age unless not used for 50+ years would have something done I guess...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: