• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A5 vs Yamaha 8310 Z ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kloodinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Adams A5 vs Yamaha 8310 Z ? Reply with quote

Hello my fellow trumpeters, has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Yamaha 8310Z Shew trumpet to the Adams A5? Does the A5 offer any advantage over the Shew?

I'm thinking about buying a new light weight trumpet, any advice would be helpful. While I have played a Shew for a few weeks, I have never even touched an A5.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played them back to back, so cannot compare how they play, but I owned an A5 for a while. My recollection is that it was not "light" like the 8310Z. It is probably closer in weight to the 8335LAII, another fine horn you might consider.

If light weight is important, don't forget the Schilke B-series horns.

Good luck!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! I hope you find the forum helpful.

I have only had the briefest of time with the Adams A5 and only a little more with the Shew horn. Why am I offering my opinion? Just to get things stated and to share the most basic differences, as best I can. To be fair, I prefer a different blow than either of these trumpets, so my comments won't favor one over the other.

The Yamaha gave me a feeling that I can't wrap my mind around. I don't understand what that horn is saying to me, as it were. I found it weird. This was a first generation Bobby Shew model. I listened for the player that owned it, when I went to hear a big band he played in, and I could not hear him playing. Some Yamaha trumpets don't seem to project well.

The Adams made more sense to me. It had the same feel as a Calicchio 1S2. The resistance is right up front, as they say, with hard slotting. I think the A5 design seeks to soften the hard brilliance of the Calicchio sound and emulate the Benge concept, but it has the feel of the Calicchio.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your location, you should consider going to a shop that has the Adams and play-test it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of the Z horns and just recently sold an Adams A5 that I probably had for 6 months.

To my recollection, my A5 was what I would consider a lightweight horn but perhaps not quite as light as a Z. The two would be close though.

The biggest difference to my recall was the blow of the horns. Both Z horns that I had were a pretty tight blow. To some, the Z is stuffy. My A5 had a very open blow and produced a huge sound very easily. I first played it with a GR 64 MS (a shockingly productive mouthpiece) and I felt like I was going to blow the walls of my office apart. I'm not a loud player, nor do I movea lot of air when I play, but the A5 with the GR mouthpiece was a very positive, surprising moment for me.

So, in review, if you're a very efficient player you may feel more comfy with a Z horn. If you move a lot of air when you play, the Adams A5 may be a more natural fit. And that, my friend, is my recollection of two great horns.

Good luck and let us know how your decision goes, please.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Shew, so not speaking out of school. I also have a Benge 3X and wonder if you have considered it, as well?

The Shew is a little lighter than the Benge. If weight is a BIG factor, as it is for me, Shew's the solution. But if you can split hairs, the Benge has a little more weight, still not a heavy horn, and IMO has more sound quality.

Not saying you wouldn't like the Adams, just adding a Benge into the mix.

shofar - I believe from reading your posts over time, that you would not lean towards a horn with the Shew's characteristics so, if the OP's not familiar with your preferences, he might need t know that his and your preferences in a trumpet and how it blows, might be different.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kloodinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. Just to explain my situation: I'm a smallish 60-year-old woman with recent health problems, but still love to play the trumpet. So I need an instrument that is very easy and effortless to play. The Shew suits me quite well. I just wondered if the A5 might be even easier to play. Maybe I will just go to the Adams shop in the Netherlands and try the A5 there.

Btw, I have never even seen a Benge, and wouldn't know where to find one. I think they are not popular in this part of the world.

Last edited by kloodinn on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
To be fair, I prefer a different blow than either of these trumpets, so my comments won't favor one over the other.

In response to Kehaulani: I prefer a trumpet that has its resistance "down in the horn." The kind that allows a free flow of air and a linear increase in resistance as I play up the scale.

I could not figure out the Shew horn - how to play it - and it felt odd to me when I tried. I don't know how to describe it, which is why I use ambiguous words. Other players like the horn a lot, so my comments above focused on the differences I can describe between the two horns the OP mentioned.

The A5 I played a number of years ago was very much an "up front resistance" kind of horn, like a Calicchio 1S2. I don't like that kind of feeling when I play, so I stick with horns that play like a Benge. Or "more than a Benge."

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TrumpetHerald, by the way.

Benge horns are a staple of the American trumpet past. For many years, as one old pro put it, there were the Bach & Benge wars. I remember a guy saying he was once introduced to a new group, 'This is Mike; he's a great guy!' and then he heard the one introducing him say softly, 'But he does play a Benge...'

At any rate, the Adams A5 is patterned pretty much after the Benge line of horns, which were originally produced by Elden Benge, a previous trumpet player of symphony note. A good Benge is a light horn and produces a clear, colorful tone. When you play an Adams A5, as one friend of mine said, 'It's like a Benge on steroids!' Light in the hand, and with a clear, carrying sound is the way I'd describe the A5 I had. It was actually a bit more free-blowing than I prefer; but what easy tone it produced.

Good luck with a complete recovery from any physical woes, and further good luck finding and trying an Adams A5. I'd say it's well worth a journey.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot offer an opinion on the Shew, but I have been playing an Adams A5 for 2-3 years. Basically I wanted an "open" horn with some "sizzle", but nothing too offensive. I got all I wanted, but it took some adapting.

+ You get a bright, vibrant tone with almost no effort. Think Hollywood, Big Band and bright symphonic.
+ It reacts very sensitively to mouthpiece choice. You can bend and sculpture your tone and response in any way thinkable.
+ This thing can really get loud if you want it to, but it will have all the bright, vibrant tone at a low volume also.

- Did I say mouthpieces? It took me some time to dial in the right backbore, gap, etc. I ended up with Marcinkiewicz E13 (C. Findley) for lead and the Yamaha Rod Franks for legit. If you choose a backbore that is too large, it opens up so much that I for one cannot control the notes above the staff for sheer lack of resistance. Some mouthpieces also threw the trumpet's intonation off course to a dregree I didin't know from my Yammies and Bachs.

Even though it will never become my main horn because I prefer more resistance, the A5 will never get sold because playing big band or "Western" film scores (thing Mag7 or Morricone duels) always brings a wide smile to my face. Do try before buying and use as many mouthpieces as possible.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Adams A5 and Yamaha Z Reply with quote

How well would the Adams A5 fit in a big band for the 2nd book (solo chair). Does it slot enough for solos? How does the sound fit into the ensemble? I have owned some light horns that were just to bright and didn't project to the back of the room.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How well would the Adams A5 fit in a big band for the 2nd book (solo chair). Does it slot enough for solos? How does the sound fit into the ensemble?

You could check with Trent Austin at Austin Custom Brass to get his perspective as I believe he played one for a while. I found the slots to be on the tight end of the spectrum. As for sound, it should fit in quite well, though I think that is more about the player and the mouthpiece than the horn.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kloodinn wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. Just to explain my situation: I'm a smallish 60-year-old woman with recent health problems, but still love to play the trumpet. So I need an instrument that is very easy and effortless to play. The Shew suits me quite well. I just wondered if the A5 might be even easier to play. Maybe I will just go to the Adams shop in the Netherlands and try the A5 there.

Btw, I have never even seen a Benge, and wouldn't know where to find one. I think they are not popular in this part of the world.

I don't own an Adams.
I do know three people who went to the Adams factory in Holland and got hooked up with exactly what they needed. Short-throw valves, a re-arranged trigger, etc.

If you want to buy a trumpet and you tell them what you need, I bet you'll get it. It may or may not be off-the-shelf, but you'll get it at some point. If you're already 60 you might not have more than 60 years of playing left, so might as well check it out sooner rather than later.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Adams A5 and Yamaha Z Reply with quote

[quote="bebop"]How well would the Adams A5 fit in a big band for the 2nd book (solo chair). Does it slot enough for solos? How does the sound fit into the ensemble? I have owned some light horns that were just to bright and didn't project to the back of the room.[/quote]

I have played the A5 both on first and 2nd chair in unamplified bands, and I never had any problems projecting. Also, I would describe the A5 as wide and open, but not "loose" or "bendy". Might be just what you need. My only issue was lack of resistance and intonation with some mouthpieces (mostly with wide backbores).
As in fitting in, it is certainly brighter than a Bach 37, but it is not an offensive screamer or anything. Should mix with lighter Yammies and the like.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adams A5 and Yamaha Z Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
bebop wrote:
How well would the Adams A5 fit in a big band for the 2nd book (solo chair). Does it slot enough for solos? How does the sound fit into the ensemble? I have owned some light horns that were just to bright and didn't project to the back of the room.

I have played the A5 both on first and 2nd chair in unamplified bands, and I never had any problems projecting. Also, I would describe the A5 as wide and open, but not "loose" or "bendy". Might be just what you need. My only issue was lack of resistance and intonation with some mouthpieces (mostly with wide backbores).
As in fitting in, it is certainly brighter than a Bach 37, but it is not an offensive screamer or anything. Should mix with lighter Yammies and the like.

I think this is really well said. I really liked my A5, but it, for me, was a bit too open of a blow and I don't do well with tight mouthpieces. But what a sound the A5 put out. Again, mr oakmount - very well said.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: A5 short demos Reply with quote

For all it's worth, I recorded 4 very short (low fi camera microphone) demos on the A5:

1) Hummel Concerto, excerpt
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlP2TsqoijARiAX2cvhEnOZZabqA?e=QW8A5J

2) Goldsmith, Star Trek, excerpt
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlP2TsqoijARiAbTaCybOx7yoJ1x?e=nZeJhE

3) E. Bernstein, Mag7, excerpt
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlP2TsqoijARiAczgqfl8gYJXznG?e=3fXavN

4) Leroy Brown Intro
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlP2TsqoijARiATISF67W3fbbGq9?e=xHAQgM

For clips 1-3 I used the Yamaha Rod Franks Mouthpiece (very deep cup and huge bore, narrow back bore), for clip 4 I used the Marcinkiewicz E13 Chuck Findley (as flat a cup as I can handle without bottoming out).

Enjoy.

PS: I don't think the brilliance of the tone comes across as much as it should, but it might give you an idea.

PPS: The Links don't work. Please copy the entire url

Last edited by mr oakmount on Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:57 am; edited 3 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links don't work for me.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kloodinn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A5 short demos Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
For all it's worth, I recorded 4 very short (low fi camera microphone) demos on the A5:

Thanks for this, sounds really good, I like it
Btw, are you a trekkie?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: