• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benchmark Orion Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:
I owned a Benchmark C trumpet that was phenomenal. Great response and intonation. Broad sound that was stable and projected well. I sold it when I upgraded my Bb to a Yamaha NYS. I would have loved to keep it but those two horns were incompatible for me. Others might have an easier time.

Regardless, I would say that Benchmark trumpets are great and Ron is definitely top notch. And, FWIW, I don't know of any other small manufacturers in the industry making valves in-house. He even machines his own stop screws... He also has some very unique but practical design features.
A couple of questions, Kevin:

When you write "... those two horns were incompatible for me...," are you saying that the new Yamaha NYS Bb and the Benchmark C were not compatible, as when you might have to switch back and forth between Bb and C and need the two horns to match more closely in tonation?

Would you have considered keeping the Benchmark C, say, just for solo playing?

Great questions. Yes, the decision was based mostly on character of performance, not quality. The Benchmark C was great whenever I played solo, like in church, but the sound was a little too rich for me in the section. Others might have a different experience than me. Everyone is different. I can't justify multiple horns and the Yamaha NYS is the best all-arounder I could find. There's more to the story but the point is that I had to prioritize the Bb and work from there.
jack-of-all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the plunge and ordered an Orion model from Ron as it looks like it will be just what I have been looking for.
It won't arrive for a week or two - but will update this thread with my findings once I have it. [/url]
Eclipse Custom Flugel
Conn Connstelation Long Model - Bb
Lawler C Trumpet
B&S Challenger II - D/Eb
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I expect a full report! Also, if you have any immediate issues with it, please discuss them with Ron directly before posting anything negative. Thank you!
jack-of-all

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Congratulations! I expect a full report! Also, if you have any immediate issues with it, please discuss them with Ron directly before posting anything negative. Thank you!

Will do
And thank you for the karma prompt.
Ron has been a total gent and pleasure to deal with.
I can only say I'm genuinely giddy with excitement at the prospect of unboxing new new toy
Eclipse Custom Flugel
Lawler C Trumpet
B&S Challenger II - D/Eb
jack-of-all

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: 6 months review Reply with quote

So, its been a while of owning a Benchmark Orion, so I feel comfortable with a quick update if anyone is interested.
I will state up front - I'm only an amateur hobby player. So my viewpoint and review is from that standpoint.

Spec Sheet:
ML bore, red brass bell, all handmade apart from the water key and springs in the valves, Raw brass with brushed finish. Nickle outer slides, nickel upper balusters, with recessed top caps to allow the wider wrap to work.

I can hand on heart say Ron Glyn was a pleasure to deal with. Especially as I'm based in the UK and he is in the US.
Very prompt on replies to emails etc, very knowledgeable on technical questions, and you cant fault his build quality and knowledge on instrument mechanics and what makes a player vs a dud. I just sent him a quick resume of what repertoire I mostly played and my personal characteristics ( bright tone / weak upper register / tendency to be flat on the 5th partial ), and Ron selected what he felt would be the best bore / materials and setup for that list of variables. And I have to confess - he got it pretty much spot on. Always trust the builder.

So my initial impressions once getting the box open was that the Orion is a lot lighter that its images would imply. I cant give you specific weights as I don't have scales that would measure in this range, but it a lighter over all in lbs that a Bach Strad and half the weight of my old Smith Watkins trumpet. It is very well balanced in the hand, not bell or mouthpiece heavy and the slightly wider wrap makes the grip in the hand just right for people with big paws like me.
Even though it is a light instrument- it does sound lightweight in tone or projection. It is very good at barking when you push is 'just so', you can really lean on it and the tone just thickens rather than becoming thing and brittle. I have been using it mostly in orchestras with heavy repertoires, Tchaik / Sibelius / Mahler, and it given the MD exactly what was needed for those programs. The red brass bell works well in section and allows it to blend with a little manipulation or careful mouthpiece choice. My go to orchestral is the Larson Reece Piece as it has that rounded tone that works for big works and allows to quieter passage finesse. For something a little more lively like Danson - I swapped over to a Denis Wick MM2C and it transformed the tone to something lively and Latin with more front and attack. A Frate 1 1/2c for some John Williams - Summon the Hero's for lyrical lighter tone passages. The Trumpet accepted them all without changes in intonation/tuning and no discernible issues to venture sensitivities that I have had with other instruments. So all good on that score.
I have no doubt that this instrument work be a great all round workhorse and that in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, will produced the sound profile they want.

I have fitted an adjustable sound post from Frost Custom Brass to the lead pipe, as I found it focussed the sound to something more comfortable and predictable for me. The Orion only has the brace on the main tuning slide as standard, and it plays good without the second, But I just feel it is more predictable in slotting and production with the extra brace for me. This is something I thought was all voodoo ( brace placement on nodes etc ) before I owned a Ken Larson trumpet, and it has proved to me at least that getting bracing in just the right spot can make subtle changes to tone and production overall. Just as much as a change of mouthpiece can to some players.

All in all - I'm really happy with my purchase. Its fun to play, doesn't fight me on intonation and is very predictable with its responses.
It has a great core of sound.
What more could you want

The only criticism I do have - and its quite petty - is that it doesn't fit on my trumpet stand as snugly as my other trumpet - as the flair is wider, which has resulted in several panicked moments when I've put it down and let go - only to see it shift and settle which always makes me think I've missed the stand entirely and its going to clatter to the floor to much tutting from the oboe and bassoon section ( a yellow cloth over the stand has resolved this problem now tho - Hercules travelite for reference )

So
for those who are curious, its all good so far. If you are in the market for a handmade custom trumpet - but cant stretch to the likes or AR or Monette - but what something more in the Bach or Yamaha price range, give Ron a buzz, you may be surprised at how affordable a bespoke build could be for you.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jc9LfcpdafOKWUsRCfjGRNboiphP62V3?usp=sharing

RH
Eclipse Custom Flugel
Lawler C Trumpet
B&S Challenger II - D/Eb

Last edited by jack-of-all on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME! That sounds really great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: