• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette to ACB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Monette to ACB Reply with quote

Comeback player and comeback TH member here.

Currently, I'm using a Monette B4S S2 standard resonance. Very happy with it across the spectrum. I'm looking to sample one of the ACB Custom Reserve mouthpieces while I am stalled here in rehab with not much beyond books to occupy my time (running injury/surgery).

Any thoughts on the custom reserve 2D+ for a more shallow piece in a similar size to the B4s?
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Monette to ACB Reply with quote

678music wrote:
Comeback player and comeback TH member here.

Currently, I'm using a Monette B4S S2 standard resonance. Very happy with it across the spectrum. I'm looking to sample one of the ACB Custom Reserve mouthpieces while I am stalled here in rehab with not much beyond books to occupy my time (running injury/surgery).

Any thoughts on the custom reserve 2D+ for a more shallow piece in a similar size to the B4s?

Why don’t you just find yourself a B4L S1 for a shallower mouthpiece. That is what I would use when I needed a lead MP. I used that combination for many years until I found myself needing a little larger cup size and switched to GR67 sizes. I did own one of the ACB 3C sized mouthpiece for awhile but I thought the Monette pieces worked better for me at that time.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet - The B4L was my first thought. More curiosity with the ACB line as I have never played on one.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

678music wrote:
21trumpet - The B4L was my first thought. More curiosity with the ACB line as I have never played on one.

I looked back at my notes on the different mouthpieces I have owned and the ACB was the MV3C in the modern blank.
I think the new custom reserve mouthpieces are probably more like the Monette Prana mouthpieces with larger throat sizes and backbores and I found those very hard to play for a non professional trumpet player like myself. I’m sure others my like that type of open blow but for me personally it was very hard to be accurate with such larger open mouthpieces.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:

I think the new custom reserve mouthpieces are probably more like the Monette Prana mouthpieces with larger throat sizes and backbores

Thank you for confirming my suspicions and your insight! Never tried a Prana myself.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

678music wrote:
21trumpet wrote:

I think the new custom reserve mouthpieces are probably more like the Monette Prana mouthpieces with larger throat sizes and backbores

Thank you for confirming my suspicions and your insight! Never tried a Prana myself.

I own a b4S S2 Prana and an ACB 2+, With exception of a familiar mv3c rim feel, I don’t think they are alike on blow, articulation or sonically.

I have never tried a unity to compare.

If your happy, watch out, being bored can have it’s costs! I remember all the money I blew after a back operation for experimentation on trumpet stuff a few years back. Coming back and curiosity this round cost me a few bucks, that’s for sure!

-marc
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notlem wrote:

If your happy, watch out, being bored can have it’s costs! I remember all the money I blew after a back operation for experimentation on trumpet stuff a few years back. Coming back and curiosity this round cost me a few bucks, that’s for sure!

-marc

I totally agree on the costs! In all honesty, I've never owned or played on a "lead" style moutpiece, so this is more about my own curiosity and adventure than much else. I might never know what I'm missing if I don't try.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

678music wrote:
I totally agree on the costs! In all honesty, I've never owned or played on a "lead" style moutpiece, so this is more about my own curiosity and adventure than much else. I might never know what I'm missing if I don't try.

You may want to start a poll on whom uses the same size rim for legit vs lead. I myself would be curious.

When I was younger I tried the same rim on both. To me when your cup gets shallower, you put less lip in there and for me that messes up my muscle memory on that diameter rim when flopping between them.

I would guess that most use a smaller diameter rim for piccolo and lead work. I know that is a big assumption, but how many MV3C rims have you seen used on a piccolo mouthpiece? These days just use one mouthpiece for Bb trumpet work. I keep wanting to start playing piccolo again, which for me in the past was a 14a4, 13a4a or a 7e.

-marc
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notlem,
Good thoughts. When I was in college, I used my 3C across the typical three horns (Bb, C, Picc) without much of a thought because it just worked. Although I remember my Yamaha picc came with shallow, gold rim mouthpiece that I tried and didn't take to at all. I ended up giving it to a classmate that thought it "looked good"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: