• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yet another X-13 review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Yet another X-13 review Reply with quote

I received a small inheritance shortly before Christmas and decided to spend some of it on a “dream horn” I never would have otherwise bought – an X-13 in silverplate.

The wait for the horn, ordered from Austin Custom Brass, was just over five months. The transaction with ACB was thoroughly professional. They kept me notified of the order’s progress every time I checked in. The horn arrived quicker than the shipping data said it would once it shipped and it was well packed and in pristine condition upon opening.

Biggest impression after two weeks of playing time is that, as many other X-13 owners have noted, it is about as effortless a horn to play as one could imagine. The ease does not mean it extends range, but that everything within my comfort range just seems easier to play. We’ll see what happens as I continue range extension exercises.

The other most notable impression is that the wider wrap is not particularly great for somebody with small hands. It absolutely punishes poor posture in that I can feel extra stress in my left hand if I am slouching in my rocker and noodling. I also had to install a Gapper wedge on the third valve slide to be able to extend it when necessary. That said, the horn is indeed very light and if I am cognizant of my posture or stance it is very comfortable.

As most my playing time has been with others in the house, I’ve had it muted with a Harmon most the time, so I haven’t really had a chance to adequately evaluate the pillars’ effects yet. The Harmon does slip out of the X-13 more easily than it does with either model of Eterna. Whether that’s due to it being a one-piece bell or a slightly larger bell, I don’t know.

I use my usual setup of a stock Curry 3M. and lube with Monster’s Doc’s juice. No issues.

I know it is highly unlikely that I will ever live up to the horn other than that there is nothing I would rather do than play music, and consider the horn a “last gift” from my father, who knew nothing at all about music, but always liked to hear me play and wanted it loud. Every time I pick it up, I think of him and thank him.

Did I "need" this horn? No. Do I notice that my music is better than that I produce with my Eternas? No. Do I regret for a second that I bought it? No way. I find it hard to put it down.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading your review, especially the Dad connection!

Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is short, and as I told my wife, an X-13 is way more sensible than a Corvette or boat.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what a great way to remember you dad fondly every time you play.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the X-13. I've been playing mine almost daily since I got it 4 months ago.
It's a great playing horn, no doubt. I have larger hands, so I appreciate the wrap of the horn.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remind us that music is about people and the love that connects us to them.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just bought an X-13 in silver plate, and everything you said is correct. It is truly, truly an incredible instrument.
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Life is short, and as I told my wife, an X-13 is way more sensible than a Corvette or boat.

And a heck of a lot easier to store!

I love mine - this factory has really created something special.
https://yourbrass.com/
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:

Yes, easier to store and a lot safer than a motorcycle!

...Back to the sound pillars and general X-13 review, I've messed around with the sound pillars that came with the horn and other than a little more 'behind the bell response' I'm not sure if they really do much. Someone tell me what you have experienced with the sound pillars.

BTW: My Harmons do not stay put very well in the X-13 but my S-Mute with the right set of corks and cup work well. I can't remember which ones (set of corks) but Nathan (Dr. S.) will know.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another X-13 review Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
I received a small inheritance shortly before Christmas and decided to spend some of it on a “dream horn” I never would have otherwise bought – an X-13 in silverplate.

The wait for the horn, ordered from Austin Custom Brass, was just over five months. The transaction with ACB was thoroughly professional. They kept me notified of the order’s progress every time I checked in. The horn arrived quicker than the shipping data said it would once it shipped and it was well packed and in pristine condition upon opening.

Biggest impression after two weeks of playing time is that, as many other X-13 owners have noted, it is about as effortless a horn to play as one could imagine. The ease does not mean it extends range, but that everything within my comfort range just seems easier to play. We’ll see what happens as I continue range extension exercises.

The other most notable impression is that the wider wrap is not particularly great for somebody with small hands. It absolutely punishes poor posture in that I can feel extra stress in my left hand if I am slouching in my rocker and noodling. I also had to install a Gapper wedge on the third valve slide to be able to extend it when necessary. That said, the horn is indeed very light and if I am cognizant of my posture or stance it is very comfortable.

As most my playing time has been with others in the house, I’ve had it muted with a Harmon most the time, so I haven’t really had a chance to adequately evaluate the pillars’ effects yet. The Harmon does slip out of the X-13 more easily than it does with either model of Eterna. Whether that’s due to it being a one-piece bell or a slightly larger bell, I don’t know.

I use my usual setup of a stock Curry 3M. and lube with Monster’s Doc’s juice. No issues.

I know it is highly unlikely that I will ever live up to the horn other than that there is nothing I would rather do than play music, and consider the horn a “last gift” from my father, who knew nothing at all about music, but always liked to hear me play and wanted it loud. Every time I pick it up, I think of him and thank him.

Did I "need" this horn? No. Do I notice that my music is better than that I produce with my Eternas? No. Do I regret for a second that I bought it? No way. I find it hard to put it down.
Interesting to read your comments about the horn punishing poor posture. I guess it shows we are all built different. I am 6'2, large hands, and find the X-13 is extremely comfortable to hold and the balance of it makes good playing posture easier for me. I have been playing my Yamaha Shew as well, and the different feel and weight distribution are a little bit of a challenge to balance with my body.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pillars definitely change the frequencies of the horn.

I played without any pillars for 2 weeks or so. Then when I put one on it was a big difference to my ears.

You can kind of go back and forth between the sounds by just tightening and loosening the pillar…instead of taking it completely off and then putting it back on. It’s just a quicker way to hear one way versus the other without having to take a 15 second break between tries.

I mostly prefer no pillar. My second choice is the nickel pillar. Then the copper one last.

The direction of the pillar also matters slightly.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
The pillars definitely change the frequencies of the horn.

I played without any pillars for 2 weeks or so. Then when I put one on it was a big difference to my ears.

You can kind of go back and forth between the sounds by just tightening and loosening the pillar…instead of taking it completely off and then putting it back on. It’s just a quicker way to hear one way versus the other without having to take a 15 second break between tries.

I mostly prefer no pillar. My second choice is the nickel pillar. Then the copper one last.

The direction of the pillar also matters slightly.
There's something kind of nice and focused about the nickel pillar, but I personally also prefer no pillar.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned something from tinkering around with accessories. They have their effects, to be sure. It's just that the horn is developed to its highest state without them. That's why I always eventually end up going back to the original design specification.

After all, if I liked the horn enough to buy it, why would changing it significantly make it better? That is not to say that swapping parts has no benefit. "Identical" parts aren't and don't give the same results.

I have three full bore (.470") #1 tuning slides for my current Wild Thing. The braced slide didn't come with this horn. It was swapped for another one by Flip when he was performing with it, because he felt this one played better than the one that came with the horn.

I have two #1-J slides. One is silver and was given to me by Flip for my 50th birthday the first year of our friendship. The other is one of only two made with a copper crook. The copper one has noticeably more resistance, more like a #2 or #3 slide. The silver slide is the best of the three. It gives me the best response, the best accuracy and agility because of that level of response and tires me out the least.

I intend to see if that transfers well to the Community Band when the fall session begins.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the effects I noticed in trying the pillars is tonguing. My impression is that they narrow the sound slightly and make a more secure attack on the note. Really noticed it on triple tonguing.
https://yourbrass.com/
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
One of the effects I noticed in trying the pillars is tonguing. My impression is that they narrow the sound slightly and make a more secure attack on the note. Really noticed it on triple tonguing.

William Tell Overture, here I come! With pillars!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: