• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nostalgia for us comebackers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMartiniMixer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Nostalgia for us comebackers Reply with quote

Hello trumpet brethren.

This forum has been super helpful and a godsent for the past year as I took up my S32 again. Since there isn't much I can contribute, I thought a personal sharing of why I chose to comeback might motivate more comebackers

I started trumpet in middle school and upon high school, I was honoured to be under the tutelage of a sweet old trumpet lady in Los Angeles/Anaheim who showed me true love of this wonderful instrument. However, due to some personal issues, I wasn't able to play even since I graduated from college. It was only recently that I learnt of my teacher's passing that I thought... I owe it to her to keep playing. "Perseverance" was her motto which she reminded me everytime I was down and even though I am late for almost a decade, life has taught me it's always better late than never. I am, however, greatly regretful that I did not comeback sooner while she was still here and now, only her handwritten notes in my Arban keeps me steadfast whenever I touch my horn.

So the goal I have now is to hopefully retrain myself to be good enough to perform this one particular piece: "Aria Con Variazioni" to inspire combackers (and youngsters here) to enjoy the trumpet. On that note, you guys have been a great help! I heeded your advice and got some lessons from a teacher and concentrated my practices on rebuilding quality strength rather than quantity raw hours of practice.

Thank you admins again for letting me join and maybe I'll post a video of my recording someday!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Comback Reply with quote

Hello Martinmixer,
Welcome to the TH. Sorry to hear of your mentors passing. It is a great legacy that you have signed on to. Personal satisfaction and the honor of holding a memory is wonderful. I had three great band directors and a few notable trumpet section men that I looked up to as a younger/developing player. I owe all those people for my inspiration also.
TheMartiniMixer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Christian

It's ironic that as a comeback adult, the self-discipline to practice daily is much stronger than my youth days, perhaps all due to our personal lessons of time management I suppose. Anyway, it’s been a few bumpy rides getting back though, having to re-learn the breathing was definitely a work-out! My abdomen was exhausted after just a 45 min practice and not to mention the mental concentration during that entire time. Where did all our energy went?!

gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck with your comeback.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMartiniMixer wrote:
Thank you Christian

It's ironic that as a comeback adult, the self-discipline to practice daily is much stronger than my youth days, perhaps all due to our personal lessons of time management I suppose. Anyway, it’s been a few bumpy rides getting back though, having to re-learn the breathing was definitely a work-out! My abdomen was exhausted after just a 45 min practice and not to mention the mental concentration during that entire time. Where did all our energy went?!

From my personal experience "youth is (often) wasted on the young". Ask me how I know!

Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
johnpiaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to echo the sentiments in this thread. I am returning to trumpet, at age 49, after 20+ years away. This forum has helped me to choose the right equipment for my “comeback.” With age comes more focused priorities and goals, and less tolerance for wasting time on what is superfluous. Even though I’m mostly playing/practicing alone at home, having just started a few months ago, I enjoy the act of playing the trumpet now so much more than when I was playing gigs and in ensembles in college. For the first time, I feel like I am truly deciding what to play and how I should sound, rather than what may hypothetically be expected of me as a certain kind of player. I have written more details here, so feel free to read further. http://johnpiazza.net/trumpet/
1980’s Yamaha ytr-739t
Giardinelli 6B
Bach 5C
Studied with: Mario Guarneri, Dave Len Scott, John Worley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: