• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No C Trumpet posts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enviroman22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: No C Trumpet posts? Reply with quote

How come when I search "C Trumpet" nothing comes up? We have to have discussed C Trumpets somewhere on the site. Please advise as I am looking to buy one. I have a Bach Strad serial no. 37XXX which plays beautifully. I want to supplant that with one that is not so perfect (rarity-wise) to use on gigs. The one I have is really special and not for everyday use. It's for orchestral-style playing in my opinion.
1965 Cleveland / King Craftsmen Bb cornet
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1967 Olds Ambassador Bb cornet
1968 Bach Strad Bb Model 37
1969 Bach Strad C
1974 & 1981 Schilke MII Bb
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you searching? The board’s search function is pretty useless. So I use Google or bing and add the term "site:TrumpetHerald.com" to limit the search to this site. Leave off the quotes when you put it in the search bar.
enviroman22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will do. I have seen some on google search for this site for a particular instrument but I was hoping to not pay through the nose and thought tips might be on trumpetherald.com regarding the smart way to purchase my next c horn. Because it ain't likely I'm going to be able to try it out if it's a Blessing on ebay for $1000 or something. The only one near me is a Yamaha YTR8445 IITS Mach 2 GS for $2800. Large bore. I'm hoping to find a quality-enough horn to play on stage at random gigs or for practicing at home. I would never drink beer and play my Bach but I will with this new horn whatever it is.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enviroman22 wrote:
Thanks. Will do. I have seen some on google search for this site for a particular instrument but I was hoping to not pay through the nose and thought tips might be on trumpetherald.com regarding the smart way to purchase my next c horn. Because it ain't likely I'm going to be able to try it out if it's a Blessing on ebay for $1000 or something. The only one near me is a Yamaha YTR8445 IITS Mach 2 GS for $2800. Large bore. I'm hoping to find a quality-enough horn to play on stage at random gigs or for practicing at home. I would never drink beer and play my Bach but I will with this new horn whatever it is.

If it’s a 229 large bore from 1969, get a 190c Cleveland model. You could have the same lead pipe put on in place of the 25m and you’d essentially have a new version of your horn.

Thread killer.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good thread with links to finding trumpets for sale here:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1658214#1658214
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a particular goal in terms of change in sound? Or price range you're willing to spend?

If you have a good 1969 Bach I can imagine why you don't want to bring it on random gigs
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of comparison posts (new/old, 229/239, Bach/Yamaha/Schilke). There are also posts about intonation or moving from Bb to C. There are also mouthpiece posts (C trumpet often does better with a bigger throat/backbore). There are also posts on repertoire and transposition. I'd start digging and enjoy. The advice on places to look is also helpful. Where are you based?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that Austin Custom Brass has a used Carol POCKET C trumpet on sale for just a few hundred. It appears you already have a good C trumpet and simply want a "beer drinking" horn. It's ML bore but you could stick a modestly priced Yamaha symphonic artist mouthpiece in it and probably have something good enough for your purposes. No case included but it looks like the trumpet might be small enough to fit in an insulated 6 pack bag.

(OK - they also have some standard Carol starter C trumpets for just a little more.)
enviroman22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Do you have a particular goal in terms of change in sound? Or price range you're willing to spend?

If you have a good 1969 Bach I can imagine why you don't want to bring it on random gigs

It's a beauty. Best sound and accuracy of all my horns. I want to change from Bb to C because I believe since I have no written Bb music I must follow (I just improvise or transpose with my Bb anyway). Where I'm playing I just make up all the trumpet parts if they are not already on a recorded song. It would be simple for me to play a C trumpet after I train my ear to learn the note pitches and it will be easier to make the upper register notes happen. I'm not playing with any designated band with already-learned music so since I am in "down-time" with playing in public I thought I'd switch to C. Easier to play is my short answer. But I know if I'm hitting a high C it's a high D with the same effort. That is my thinking. I have months to focus solely on C so I will be able to improvise just as well come fall. I saw the Pittsburgh Symphony last night and every player is playing a C horn. That's where my Bach Strad CL came from, my old symphony days. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

Price range? I'm all over the map. I would not pay $750 for a refurbished Olds Ambassador on ebay because my Olds is not quite up to my Getzen Capris in likeability. I'm looking at a $100 used Reynolds cornet and $1200 horn if good. So I really need two. One for practicing and one for playing out. I figure to have spent around $2 grand when I have finished purchasing two or three (I have a place in Florida). But I do want something I can trust on stage. Because if I'm going to spend $2700 on a Yamaha I might as well take my Bach on stage. I wouldn't want either one of them to get scratches/dents, etc. I'm struggling because I am unable to try any out but it will be a fun and exciting journey.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C

Last edited by enviroman22 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total
enviroman22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Just noticed that Austin Custom Brass has a used Carol POCKET C trumpet on sale for just a few hundred. It appears you already have a good C trumpet and simply want a "beer drinking" horn. It's ML bore but you could stick a modestly priced Yamaha symphonic artist mouthpiece in it and probably have something good enough for your purposes. No case included but it looks like the trumpet might be small enough to fit in an insulated 6 pack bag.

(OK - they also have some standard Carol starter C trumpets for just a little more.)

Beautiful analogy. Thanks.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
enviroman22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
There are lots of comparison posts (new/old, 229/239, Bach/Yamaha/Schilke). There are also posts about intonation or moving from Bb to C. There are also mouthpiece posts (C trumpet often does better with a bigger throat/backbore). There are also posts on repertoire and transposition. I'd start digging and enjoy. The advice on places to look is also helpful. Where are you based?

Thank you. Pittsburgh.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
enviroman22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramergfy wrote:

If it’s a 229 large bore from 1969, get a 190c Cleveland model. You could have the same lead pipe put on in place of the 25m and you’d essentially have a new version of your horn.

190c Cleveland models are $4000!
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
enviroman22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:

jeirvine wrote:

https://centexbrass.com/shop/ols/products
Thanks. The first one has this: https://centexbrass.com/shop/ols/products/bach-stradivarius-large-bore-229-corporation-bell-c-trumpet-1977-model-bch-str-lrg-br I might get lucky. That's a pretty nice price for that horn.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what you're saying, I'd agree with @jeirvine that you're best off just scrolling though shops with a good used selection and buying one that catches your eye.

Enjoy the window shopping (and hopefully the new horn)
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Facebook marketplace too. I lucked in to a very nice '64 Olds Recording there recently, for about half what they go for in shops.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Brass, Centex, Dillon Music, Horn Trader, J Landress, Thompson Music...all usually have some nice used horns in their inventory.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enviroman22 wrote:
jeirvine wrote:

jeirvine wrote:

Thanks. The first one has this: https://centexbrass.com/shop/ols/products/bach-stradivarius-large-bore-229-corporation-bell-c-trumpet-1977-model-bch-str-lrg-br I might get lucky. That's a pretty nice price for that horn.

If you pull the trigger, might be a nice comparison to your early Elkhart Bach. There are several design features omitted from the 1977 that should be telling. I imagine the ‘77 will have a slightly brighter tone, less core, and maybe a tad less projection than your older horn. Wild guess.

I have seen used a 190 Cleveland horns for sale around 2400 btw. Food for thought.

Thread killer.
enviroman22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:

Thanks. The first one has this: https://centexbrass.com/shop/ols/products/bach-stradivarius-large-bore-229-corporation-bell-c-trumpet-1977-model-bch-str-lrg-br I might get lucky. That's a pretty nice price for that horn.[/quote]

"If you pull the trigger, might be a nice comparison to your early Elkhart Bach. There are several design features omitted from the 1977 that should be telling. I imagine the ‘77 will have a slightly brighter tone, less core, and maybe a tad less projection than your older horn. Wild guess.
I have seen used a 190 Cleveland horns for sale around 2400 btw. Food for thought."

Thanks. Upon looking at my bell I have a Model 239 (in the 30,000 serial number range) not a 229. So that makes a difference. I will look for a Cleveland 190 and thank you so much.
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I USE the great horns I have, because they are that and I enjoy playing. If your gigs are so dangerous to horns you need a beater to play on, I wouldn't be showing up.

Apart from 3rd valve knuckles falling out at times, I've had so few damage events on the gig... early 2000's I sat on my Besson C and banana'ed it, a few moments before we started Petrouchka. Valves worked, so all was good. In the early 1990's a TV camera took the same C out as it rolled past. And in high school our idiot music teacher dropped an extension cable from the hall ceiling into my Selmer radial, denting the bell crook. late 1970's.

And that is all I can remember. I'd save the shekels for a toy you want rather than try to preserve that which is un-preservable...

cheers

Andy
enviroman22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Personally, I USE the great horns I have, because they are that and I enjoy playing. If your gigs are so dangerous to horns you need a beater to play on, I wouldn't be showing up.

cheers

Andy

I will use my "One-of-a-kind" trumpet from the 1960's on gigs but not for rehearsing at home (whilst drinking beer). It is not one I am willing to take out on unpaid gigs beCAUSE it is one-of-a-kind. Out of all the horns I have had and have played I have yet to find a horn that is soo sweet-sounding and effortless to play. The value of my Strad is in the performance, not the price. But good luck trying to find a CL with a low serial number in one-owner condition. This is one of those horns (like a gun perhaps) where when you sell it you regret it the rest of your life. I'm not going to be dragging it around like an everyday trumpet. It is not. Your experiences have convinced me not to do so! Thanks for the advice. (I'm kinda rough on horns too which doesn't help much)
1965 Olds Ambassador Bb
1969 Bach Strad C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: