• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which piccolo would you choose?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Which piccolo would you choose? Reply with quote

Which piccolo would you choose? I kinda looking and would like opinions on the following horns.

1. Stomvi Elite
2. Kanstul 920
3. Jupiter 1700 XO
4. Schilke P 5-4
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played the Jupiter, and I currently have a Kanstul 1320 (similar to the 920, but with a screw off bell with Bb, A, and G bell and sets of slides) and the Schilke P5-4. I have also owned several Stomvi Elites. I don't do a lot of pic playing, but I do 1 or 2 features year on pic with our brass band. The Kanstul is a bit bigger, with a ML 0.460" bore. Playing the 1st Clarinet part in a big concert arrangement of "American Patrol" the Kanstul really zings out there and I find intonation good.

When I got a chance at a P5-4 at a good price, I took it and the recent model Stomvi by my reliable trumpet guru, and we tested, switched between leadpipes, and he said sell the P5-4 and keep the Stomvi. I had several other Schilkes (these days, the horn that I spend the majority of my time on is the Schilke Eb cornet), so I let pride and brand loyalty decide instead. But for the $1,000 difference between what I gave for the used Stomvi and Schilke, I would opt for the Stomvi and cash for the grandkids!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I played a short bell Yamaha in college 25 years ago and did not care for it. In later years, I tried a P 5-4 and I liked it much better. I have not yet tried a Stomvi or the Kanstul. I am kinda looking at this point. I appreciate your perspective.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I have not played the Jupiter, and I currently have a Kanstul 1320 (similar to the 920, but with a screw off bell with Bb, A, and G bell and sets of slides) and the Schilke P5-4. I have also owned several Stomvi Elites. I don't do a lot of pic playing, but I do 1 or 2 features year on pic with our brass band. The Kanstul is a bit bigger, with a ML 0.460" bore. Playing the 1st Clarinet part in a big concert arrangement of "American Patrol" the Kanstul really zings out there and I find intonation good.

When I got a chance at a P5-4 at a good price, I took it and the recent model Stomvi by my reliable trumpet guru, and we tested, switched between leadpipes, and he said sell the P5-4 and keep the Stomvi. I had several other Schilkes (these days, the horn that I spend the majority of my time on is the Schilke Eb cornet), so I let pride and brand loyalty decide instead. But for the $1,000 difference between what I gave for the used Stomvi and Schilke, I would opt for the Stomvi and cash for the grandkids!
Maybe the 1520? I have the 1520,the same one that is on their website, but perhaps they had another model or changed the number.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
huntman10 wrote:

Maybe the 1520? I have the 1520,the same one that is on their website, but perhaps they had another model or changed the number.

I would say it has to be the 1520. They only made two models that I am aware of.

This is an old article, but a good read.

https://everythingtrumpet.com/gearhead/Piccolo_Trumpet_Guide.html
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! 1520!! Got it used at the Thompson booth at ITG 2018! I had the link from Kanstul on my old computer, but the never ending updates got it!!

Great little horn.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Right! 1520!! Got it used at the Thompson booth at ITG 2018! I had the link from Kanstul on my old computer, but the never ending updates got it!!

Great little horn.

I often have to visit the website to refresh my memory too. In fact I did it just prior to offering the correction.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke's are very popular, and rightly so.
to me the others on your list would be more of a gamble to varying degrees.
Kanstul likely my second choice - but my experience with Kanstuls includes noisy, inconsistent valves.

I would also suggest you take a look at Bach's AP190.
If we knew that we'd be at the same locale / gig, I'd bring mine along for you to blow a few notes on.. (Chris Jeffery - Dayton)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't ask for other recommendations so I won't provide any, but glad to do so if you want.
You also didn't mention if cost was an issue. So, from the 4 horns listed, I would recommend the P5-4.
I've played them all and all of them can sound good.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list I have only played the P5-4 and found it to be truly excellent.

I personally play a Getzen 940S (which I got used for a song) with Blackburn pipes and a Vennture mouthpiece (a custom top based on the LV2 rim, the Marc Vizzutti cup (but deeper), a 28 drill and their "D" backbore - it is a fabulous match for me!). This is a wonderful horn and the blackburn pipes were a wonderful upgrade. The sound opened up, became sweeter and the intonation improved (mind it wasn't problematic before).

That thing they say about Getzen valves is true... incredible. Even tho it is 35 years old.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
678music

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used the short configuration Yamaha in college (what I could afford at the time). It worked well for me considering my relative inexperience at that time. I did have the opportunity to play on a classmate's P5-4 for a while and that was sweet. Kind of like upgrading from a Corolla to a Porsche.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

678music wrote:
I also used the short configuration Yamaha in college (what I could afford at the time). It worked well for me considering my relative inexperience at that time. I did have the opportunity to play on a classmate's P5-4 for a while and that was sweet. Kind of like upgrading from a Corolla to a Porsche.

Great analogy!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Schilke's are very popular, and rightly so.
to me the others on your list would be more of a gamble to varying degrees.
Kanstul likely my second choice - but my experience with Kanstuls includes noisy, inconsistent valves.

I would also suggest you take a look at Bach's AP190.
If we knew that we'd be at the same locale / gig, I'd bring mine along for you to blow a few notes on.. (Chris Jeffery - Dayton)

Thanks. I sent you a PM. Much appreciated!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
You didn't ask for other recommendations so I won't provide any, but glad to do so if you want.
You also didn't mention if cost was an issue. So, from the 4 horns listed, I would recommend the P5-4.
I've played them all and all of them can sound good.

The four options I listed are ones I have at the moment. I am open to other suggestions if you have them. Thanks so much!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
From your list I have only played the P5-4 and found it to be truly excellent.

I personally play a Getzen 940S (which I got used for a song) with Blackburn pipes and a Vennture mouthpiece (a custom top based on the LV2 rim, the Marc Vizzutti cup (but deeper), a 28 drill and their "D" backbore - it is a fabulous match for me!). This is a wonderful horn and the blackburn pipes were a wonderful upgrade. The sound opened up, became sweeter and the intonation improved (mind it wasn't problematic before).

That thing they say about Getzen valves is true... incredible. Even tho it is 35 years old.

Best,
Mike

Thanks Mike for the suggestion.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the horns you listed, it depends on the P5-4...

I'm am not crazy of the newer P5-4's with the copper bell. They tend to "quack" on me in the lower register. The older P5-4 with a brass bell are probably my favorite picc out there, but they are hard to find (although I think they can still be special ordered).

The Stomvi Elite is nice. For me, I feel it's a bit harder to color the sound on, especially to the darker (relative for picc's) side of the spectrum. It always just wants to stay clean and bright which is either good or bad, depending on how you plan to use it.

FWIW, I play a Stomvi Master that I really enjoy the versatility of. The extra weight of the screw bell seems to allow the tone of the chosen bell to be colored more than the Elite. Then, the different bells completely change the character for different applications. (I have brass, sterling sliver and cherry wood). I offset that weight with titanium valve caps to keep the horn from "shutting down" above the staff.

I never got along with the Kanstul and I never quite figured out why. Just always felt tight to me. But, I know players who have good success with that horn.

Never played the Jupiter.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an enthusiastic amateur and a relative novice at playing piccolo trumpet, but will share my admittedly, limited experience.

My first picc experience was with a Getzen 940 and that was my introduction to the high trumpet world. The fire was officially lit and got my desire moving rapidly along. (As noted, Getzen valves are in a class by themselves).

I played a Jupiter XO 1700 (not the Rose Brass "R" version) at an orchestra retreat just before Covid hit and liked it a lot so I started pigeonholing money right away specifically for a picc and started watching the used market for a good opportunity. That finally came in a recommendation from Trent Austin about 1 1/2 years ago for a used, very nice example of the Jupiter XO 1700R that was in my price range, the one that is now in my signature.

I have played the Yamaha YTR 9835, a close friend's very nice example. It played very well and was relatively easy to manage. I appreciate my Jupiter as much!

I had a limited opportunity to play another colleague's Schilke P5-4 as well. I DO see and hear what the fuss is all about! I would liked to have had more time on it. Even with my limited play, I would seriously consider getting one if I had the money.

BTW, my 2 friends mentioned earlier (both MSO professionals) have played my Jupiter and made favorable comments and they both tend to be (brutally) honest with their opinions.

Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those, P5-4. Hands down…
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which piccolo would you choose? Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
Which piccolo would you choose? I kinda looking and would like opinions on the following horns.

1. Stomvi Elite
2. Kanstul 920
3. Jupiter 1700 XO
4. Schilke P 5-4

If you were to ask me what I play, it's #2 above. Best match of sound and intonation. I played a dozen P5-4s and they were all good, but none matched the Kanstul I've owned for over three decades. Bigger sound in the Kanstul, better projections of sound.

Now, if I could a P5-4 with a slightly heavier brass bell instead of the beryllium bell....

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the jupiter and like it. I am a comeback player and found the short bells hard to play and I just didn't have the $$$ for Yamaha/Schilke. No regrets. There are apparently different jupiter versions. Mine came with A/Bb cornet pipes only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: