• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Bohme Tumultus Bb Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Martin Bohme Tumultus Bb Trumpet Reply with quote

Hello trumpet players,

Who doesn’t like getting a new horn? One of my section mates just purchased a new Martin Bohme Tumultus Bb trumpet from Austin Custom Brass. He brought it to church this morning, and after the morning service was over he let me take it for a test drive. WOW!! This horn really plays! He told me to bring a trumpet mouthpiece or two, so I brought four, and it played wonderfully with all of them. I’ve played trumpet very little over the past 5-6 years as I’ve been playing cornet in a brass band, but this horn was really fun to play. It has the MAW valve set, which I’ve wanted to try for some time, and the blow felt very full and open throughout the full register of the horn. The intonation was spot on, and the response was amazing. This horn is also a work of art.

I’m sure some of you are playing this horn or maybe have tried one as I did today. What are your thoughts about it?

Now I’m curious how the Martin Bohme cornet plays. Do any of you cornet players have one of these? If so, what can you tell me about it?

I thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

-1957Tim
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin Bohme Tumultus Bb Trumpet Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Hello trumpet players,

Who doesn’t like getting a new horn? One of my section mates just purchased a new Martin Bohme Tumultus Bb trumpet from Austin Custom Brass. He brought it to church this morning, and after the morning service was over he let me take it for a test drive. WOW!! This horn really plays! He told me to bring a trumpet mouthpiece or two, so I brought four, and it played wonderfully with all of them. I’ve played trumpet very little over the past 5-6 years as I’ve been playing cornet in a brass band, but this horn was really fun to play. It has the MAW valve set, which I’ve wanted to try for some time, and the blow felt very full and open throughout the full register of the horn. The intonation was spot on, and the response was amazing. This horn is also a work of art.

I’m sure some of you are playing this horn or maybe have tried one as I did today. What are your thoughts about it?

Now I’m curious how the Martin Bohme cornet plays. Do any of you cornet players have one of these? If so, what can you tell me about it?

I thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

-1957Tim

Trent has a 40 minute video up of the Martin Bohme cornet. A lot of playing but he talks about the horn throughout, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KxYUCeB-A&t=277s
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
oneillmobile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tumultus Reply with quote

Just want to echo the admiration of Martin’s work. He makes some incredibly beautiful horns. I played a Tumultus once and it’s been stuck in my head ever since. Just waiting for a used example to pop up somewhere.

I’d also add that when I was flirting with buying one, Martin was extremely responsive and helpful. He replied to my emails within a few hours, and gave me more than I asked for in information, specs, and lead times. He even told me what horns he had in the process and what dealers they were going to. Just really professional and transparent.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Quote:
Trent has a 40 minute video up of the Martin Bohme cornet. A lot of playing but he talks about the horn throughout, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KxYUCeB-A&t=277s

Thanks for the link my friend. It was definitely worth watching. Trent makes everything he plays sound good, but his excitement for this cornet shows through. I would love to play test one some day.

-1957Tim
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneillmobile,

I like the fact that Martin makes these horns himself. I would think the consistency of any product would be greater if created by the same person. The pride of creating something from start to finish would have to be greater than simply doing one segment of the project. I guess the downside is that one person can only do so much, so the number of instruments available to the marketplace is less.

If you're serious about purchasing a used model, I would let ACB know. The horn my friend purchased was used, but it could have easily passed for a new horn.

Like you, the sound of this beautiful horn is stuck in my head, however, I have an awesome playing Wild Thing trumpet, but brass bands like cornets, so for now, my trumpet is getting a break.

Thanks for sharing you thoughts oneillmobile.

-1957Tim
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the link my friend. It was definitely worth watching. Trent makes everything he plays sound good, but his excitement for this cornet shows through. I would love to play test one some day.

-1957Tim

You're very welcome! And I believe that Bohme cornet is not just new stock for ACB, but part of Trent's personal collection, which is proof that he is very excited about it indeed
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here we go again I wrote this in another thread already but can’t find it right now: Martin builds first class horns (though I’m not big on all the funky finishes; clear lacquer will do for me and I find some of the other finishes pretty ugly) BUT when I playtested all of the trumpets, I found the Tumultus the hardest to play. Quite heavy, rather hard to get to speak, needs a lot of power and definitely not my first choice. In contrast, I very much liked his lightweight horns, Sturm and especially the Clarus. Easier to play, great valves, and very nice brilliant sound (think Super-Bach in terms of presence, intonation, and focus). If I would have needed a replacement for my Bach, these horns would have been on my shortlist (though I REALLY like the X-13).

I will need a new leadpipe at some point and Martin has some really nice leadpipes for Bach horns. Time will tell …

I should add that I did not test the cornet and the flugels.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose,

I had not heard of this Maker until my friend introduced me to his horn. Lucky you to have been able to play test all the different trumpet models Martin offers. I'm not a big fan of all his finish options, but it's nice that his customers has a variety to choose from. Sounds like there is a noticeable difference from model to model, and that my play testing experience was a bit different than yours. I'm curious how the play-ability compares from one horn to another of the same model. My friends horn is clear lacquer in maybe a satin finish; quite stunning in looks and play-ability.

Thanks for sharing your experience Brassnose.

-1957Tim
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin's horns are absolutely fabulous. I try and keep at least one of his models in stock at all times. We currently have a Clarius and Tumultus with XL bell in stock with a few more on the way. The craftsmanship and attention to detail are outstanding and the horns play as awesome as they look.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass,

You obviously are very familiar with Martin’s fine line of horns, so I’m curious what your customers are saying about them. What model have you sold the most of, and why? We are aware the setup that works for one player may or may not work for another, plus the type of playing one does would obviously play a role in their model selection. For me, just picking up my friend’s medium bell Tumultus and playing a few tunes was a great experience. This horn was one of the best I’ve ever played, so it really peaked my interest and made me curious what other players thought about it. I assume from the response I received here, that there are still a limited number of Martin’s horns being played by the trumpet/cornet community.

I thank you in advance for sharing.

-1957Tim
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

So far we have had 17 of these beautiful instruments come into the shop that I have ordered to have for sale. For Bb trumpets, the most popular has been the Tumultus, although we have also had several Clarius, Sturm, and Sturm & Drang models as well. With the Tumultus we have had many different variations with everything from medium copper and brass bells, to the most popular L model in yellow and red brass and several XL bells. Brandon Ridenour (Canadian Brass) recently got a XL red brass bell from us that he loves. We have had them in just about every finish he offers also, from stained and gold plated to even a lacquered silver plated horn.

To break down his models a bit more:

The Strum and Drang & Sturm and Sturm models are very much his take on a traditional trumpet. Its slotting is more of what you would expect from more traditional trumpets like Bach and Yamaha 8335's. It tends to be a bit on the brighter side but also can manipulate the sound more on than the other branded trumpets mentioned. This is a great all around horn for someone looking for a horn that can be used in a community band/ orchestra as well as in a jazz or big band enviroment.

The Clarius model is his more commercial horn. It projects and focuses like a laser beam. The notes lock in right were you want them especially in the upper register and articulations are extremely clear. The horn also plays great in other registers but is really magical upstairs.

The Tumultus is a great jazz horn. It can be warm and smokey and soft and intimate. The larger the bells go the more presence and depth of sound colors. We have had a few medium copper bells which have a bit more lower overtones than the medium brass bells. He does not make the copper bell in L or LL size at the moment.

We have also stocked all his models of flugel horn and have several on order for stock. They too are also works of art and incredible players. They range from a lighter more delicate sound with the Nubes Septem and get darker as the bells and leadpipes change from the Schnaffhorn and then the Magnus. The intonation on these flugels are quite good especially given some of the standard problems flugels have and Martin has figured out some of these issues.

We have a standing order for as many horns that Martin can make for us with us expecting a horn every 3 weeks or so from him. He is quite busy these days and a has newborn at home as well as a toddler and right now is a one man shop. We are happy to take custom orders, but also like to keep his horns in stock at all times.

If anyone is interested please feel free to email me at josh@jlbrass.com
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, just to be clear: Martin builds very nice horns, I just liked other models better than the Tumultus. This is not to say it’s a bad horn. Mind you, I am an amateur player with too little time to practice and I have come to like lightweight horns very much over the last five or so years.
1977 Conn 6B
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few hours playing a Tumultus at ITG and loved the way it played. The build quality was top notch as well.

I’ve been playing on an Edwards X-13 since TMEA (February) and felt that the X-13 was a bit more versatile than the Tumultus. The Tumultus sounded great, but it did take a noticeable amount more effort to get the sound to project or fill up a room. The sound didn’t seem to travel far with that horn.

I also spent a few hours playing a Thane Performance (large bell) and it honestly played better than both my X-13 and the Tumultus.

Articulations were cleanest on the Thane. The large bell on the Thane gave the horn an open blow and huge sound without needing much effort at all. Build quality was incredible. And the price is less than both the X-13 and Tumultus.
The Thane is the best horn I’ve played so far, but the X-13 and Tumultus would be my next picks.

I’ll probably eventually buy a Tumultus just because it’s too good of a horn to not own…but for a do-all horn, you’ve gotta check out Thane trumpets.

Austin Custom Brass just did a comparison video of the Thane and an older Chicago Monette. Trent probably has that Thane Performance large bell for sale right now. I’d buy it if I didn’t already have one getting shipped to me.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose,

I totally understood, and understand your comments about the Tumultus trumpet. The one size fits all philosophy does not apply to the brass community. I am an amateur player as well, and would venture to say there are many more players like us than pro players.

Earlier in the year I had a cornet made by a company I respect, sent to my home for a trial period. I had communicated with a handful of guys who were playing this horn and was told it was the best cornet they had ever played. Five minutes into my first play test I felt the horn was not for me. I had a band mate play the horn to see what his reaction would be, and it was pretty much the same as mine. The horn was so inferior to my cornet that I couldn’t believe it. I was so disappointed because I really wanted this horn to work. I’m sure our experiences are common among trumpet/cornet players.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond as it gives us a better overall view of a specific model of horn. Have a great day my friend, and may you find more time to play your wonderful instruments.

Be blessed,

-1957Tim
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ericmpena,

How exciting it must be to have a Thane trumpet on the way. Have you received it yet, and if so, does it play as well as the one you played at TMEA? My band mate who purchased the Tumultus wanted to play test a Thane trumpet, but Austin Custom Brass did not have one in stock the day he visited their store. I’ve read some great things about Thane trumpets, so it would be fun to try one out sometime.

I had the opportunity to attend the ITG with a TH friend back in 2016. He lives is Arizona, and I live in Missouri, so it was a lot of fun. He played a number of horns the day we were there, and the Edwards X-13 was one of his favorites. I also played in a trumpet choir with a guy who played the Edwards X-13. He really liked the horn, but he sounded good on anything he played.

I have room in my heart to love more than one horn, so if I had a large sum of money dropped in my lap, I would make brass makers happy. I have several different horns, and appreciate each one for what they are and how they perform. I would love to own these first class horns we’re talking about, but in reality, according to my wife, I have enough horns.

Take care my friend, and may the Thane trumpet fulfill all your expectations.

Be blessed,

-1957Tim
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
according to my wife, I have enough horns.

When I picked up what I thought was my last horn in 2020, I told my wife I thought it was my last, and she said, "Oh, we can never have enough bikes or horns!"

She may have been being sarcastic, but I eventually bought an X-13 and she has not thrown my belongings out in the yard yet. So maybe your wife doesn't really mean it.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the money we spend on the house or on other really expensive stuff (ever check prices for new iPhones?) trumpets are not bad. One side of me wants all these cool horns; another side of me is annoyed that there is so much gear lying around, so I never know which side wins the day.
1977 Conn 6B
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Hello ericmpena,

How exciting it must be to have a Thane trumpet on the way. Have you received it yet, and if so, does it play as well as the one you played at TMEA? My band mate who purchased the Tumultus wanted to play test a Thane trumpet, but Austin Custom Brass did not have one in stock the day he visited their store. I’ve read some great things about Thane trumpets, so it would be fun to try one out sometime.

I had the opportunity to attend the ITG with a TH friend back in 2016. He lives is Arizona, and I live in Missouri, so it was a lot of fun. He played a number of horns the day we were there, and the Edwards X-13 was one of his favorites. I also played in a trumpet choir with a guy who played the Edwards X-13. He really liked the horn, but he sounded good on anything he played.

I have room in my heart to love more than one horn, so if I had a large sum of money dropped in my lap, I would make brass makers happy. I have several different horns, and appreciate each one for what they are and how they perform. I would love to own these first class horns we’re talking about, but in reality, according to my wife, I have enough horns.

Take care my friend, and may the Thane trumpet fulfill all your expectations.

Be blessed,

-1957Tim

I received my Thane Performance on 7/18. It plays even better than I remembered. I don’t have my X-13 to compare at the moment, but I know for sure that I like the Thane sound and feel just a bit more. Plus it’s just so beautiful!

1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ericmpena,

I enjoyed the video of the trumpet unveiling. I bet your heart rate picked up a bit when that box was delivered. I’m happy for you my friend; your trumpet is indeed a beautiful instrument. It’s also nice to have a horn that plays as good as it looks.

On another note, the guy who played the Edwards X-13 in the trumpet choir I was a part of had finish issues with his horn as well. I encouraged him to contact the company as they have a great reputation of standing behind their products, but the last I knew he hadn’t done so. He transferred to another school, so I haven’t seen him for several years. I think finish problems on lacquered horns is not an uncommon problem. Hopefully yours will look new again when you get it back, and then you will have two awesome horns to play.

Be blessed,

-1957Tim
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ericmpena

Gorgeous photos. Nice work!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: