• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Performance Review

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Thane Performance Review Reply with quote

This is the Thane Performance that I played at ITG 2022, #84. I almost purchased this one, but ended up deciding to have Logan build me a brand new horn with some personal requests on the design.

After a 6 week wait, my large bell Thane Performance arrived, #86.

Since there aren't many videos on the Thane Performance, I made a basic unboxing video:
https://youtu.be/UeIaaFMQY5A

I also have a few playing videos on my YouTube channel as well comparing the Thane and X-13.

Update: After 2 months with the Thane Performance, I still feel like it is the best horn on the market. I've sold my X-13 and while I still have some interest in the Tumultus trumpet, most videos I've heard lead me to think that the Tumultus plays too much like a heavy horn. The Thane on the other hand is extremely versatile, similar to the X-13 but better in every way.

I've shortened this initial post to just include the Thane instead of talking too much about other horns.

Last edited by ericmpena on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That's a gorgeous horn. Is that the 72-style bell?
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:

Yes, the 72 style bell. I hadn't realized the bell affected the blow of the horn so much. I had written off Thane trumpets because the 4 I had tried previously were all 37 style bells and felt too restrictive for me.

The 72 bell is much more free-blowing and easier for me to play. It's not so open that it feels tiring though. It just feels more like what I'm accustomed to.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

Yes, the 72 style bell. I hadn't realized the bell affected the blow of the horn so much. I had written off Thane trumpets because the 4 I had tried previously were all 37 style bells and felt too restrictive for me.

The 72 bell is much more free-blowing and easier for me to play. It's not so open that it feels tiring though. It just feels more like what I'm accustomed to.

I have always preferred my 72 bell Bach to any 37s or 43s when I have tried out friends' instruments, and indeed it was the best-feeling of the handful of Bachs Osmun laid out for me as a high school freshman back in the 1990s. And I didn't even know there were different bells back then!

The Thane will have to go at the very top of my list of must-try horns if I ever decide to upgrade my Bach. Everyone raves about them.

I will say that I can play my small bore (.439) Kanstul for much longer than my Bach 72 before I tire. Like the Connstellation that it is a very near copy of, the Kanstul has a wide, tall wrap and a large bell to balance out the small bore and keep it from becoming either a peashooter or stuffy. But it doesn't "ring" quite the way the 72 bell does.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

I have always preferred my 72 bell Bach to any 37s or 43s when I have tried out friends' instruments, and indeed it was the best-feeling of the handful of Bachs Osmun laid out for me as a high school freshman back in the 1990s. And I didn't even know there were different bells back then!

The Thane will have to go at the very top of my list of must-try horns if I ever decide to upgrade my Bach. Everyone raves about them.

I will say that I can play my small bore (.439) Kanstul for much longer than my Bach 72 before I tire. Like the Connstellation that it is a very near copy of, the Kanstul has a wide, tall wrap and a large bell to balance out the small bore and keep it from becoming either a peashooter or stuffy. But it doesn't "ring" quite the way the 72 bell does.

I didn’t know I liked this bell style until recently. I have played Bach 72s before but when you don’t have a ton of other horns next to you to demo it’s hard to realize how much of a difference the bell size actually makes.

I’ve always thought the bell size just affected the spread of the sound and that bore size, leadpipe, and the mouthpiece throat affected the blow of the horn.

When talking with Logan at ITG, he pointed out that all of the Thane horns that I didn’t prefer were all 37 style bell. The one I couldn’t put down was a 72 bell. I honestly hadn’t even been paying attention to the specifications of the models. I was just picking them up and playing…but now I know how drastic the bell can affect the feel and not just the sound.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently played a Thane large bell (72) horn that belongs to a friend in New Orleans. What a great playing horn! Very responsive and easy to play. Everything just clicked with me. A great addition to the boutique horn marketplace. Try one.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a performance on order, 72 red brass bell. Can’t wait to get it.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

Eric, what advantages do you find with the heavy top and bottom caps. Do you find that it slots better in the upper or lower registers. Are those caps available from Logan or does someone else make them.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Eric, what advantages do you find with the heavy top and bottom caps. Do you find that it slots better in the upper or lower registers. Are those caps available from Logan or does someone else make them.

The trim kit is from Meinlschmidt I believe. They look identical to the trim kit on the Tumultus…and both the Thane and Tumultus use a Meinlschmidt valve block, so I’m going to assume that’s who made the trim kit.

It honestly doesn’t change the feel at all from what I remember. I tried both the light and heavy trim at ITG and the horn didn’t change at all. The trim actually feels pretty lightweight compared to other trim kits I’ve owned.

I think it’s more of an aesthetic choice than a functional one. If you buy the heavy trim, Logan also includes the regular kit. You’d use the same finger buttons on both kits though.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

The trim kit is from Meinlschmidt I believe. They look identical to the trim kit on the Tumultus…and both the Thane and Tumultus use a Meinlschmidt valve block, so I’m going to assume that’s who made the trim kit.

It honestly doesn’t change the feel at all from what I remember. I tried both the light and heavy trim at ITG and the horn didn’t change at all. The trim actually feels pretty lightweight compared to other trim kits I’ve owned.

I think it’s more of an aesthetic choice than a functional one. If you buy the heavy trim, Logan also includes the regular kit. You’d use the same finger buttons on both kits though.

Thank for the info Eric, are you going to do any videos of you playing the new Thane trumpet.
Here is a short video I made after receiving my Thane. Nothing special just a quick video.
https://youtu.be/8jR3xi8beeM
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:

Nice! When are you expecting it to be finished? Mine took 6 weeks, but that’s because Logan had to do a summer band camp for a week.

Are you going with raw, lacquer, plated?

And which water keys?

I’d avoid the Pollard keys if you can. Logan actually changed mine to a Saturn key. The Pollards are super leaky and I don’t think he’ll be offering them anymore because of it.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Thank for the info Eric, are you going to do any videos of you playing the new Thane trumpet.
Here is a short video I made after receiving my Thane. Nothing special just a quick video.

I’ll definitely do a playing video once I get my tuning slide back. I sent it back to Logan because the Pollard water key was super leaky. He tested some others at his shop and those were leaky as well, so he’s no longer going to offer those.

I decided to go with the Saturn key now…so he made the swap for me. I should get my slide back on Monday.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status of the Edwards?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Nice playing! It’s a shame that you’re selling that horn. I’ve been eyeing it even though I already have my own. Haha

Maybe I need a backup horn!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

The Edwards is back at the Getzen factory getting reprocessed. I actually requested that they change the horn finish from the original Satin Lacquer to a brushed raw brass.

I’ve had too many inconsistencies with brushed lacquer over the years, so at this point I’m either going brushed raw brass or gold plated.

Getzen/Edwards no longer offers gold plating (I asked), so I opted for brushed raw instead.

I’m hoping to have the X-13 back by the beginning of August.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Nice playing! It’s a shame that you’re selling that horn. I’ve been eyeing it even though I already have my own. Haha

Maybe I need a backup horn!

I’m still on the fence about selling it as it is a great playing trumpet and I love the valve block. Two turns of the cap and out comes the valve for oiling, great German engineering. Enjoy your horn as Logan makes beautiful trumpets.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
falado wrote:

Nice! When are you expecting it to be finished? Mine took 6 weeks, but that’s because Logan had to do a summer band camp for a week.

Are you going with raw, lacquer, plated?

And which water keys?

I’d avoid the Pollard keys if you can. Logan actually changed mine to a Saturn key. The Pollards are super leaky and I don’t think he’ll be offering them anymore because of it.

Hi, it will be raw brass, traditional lever water keys. I ordered it, down payment, a few weeks ago, right after or around the ITG conference.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Thanks, Eric.
Seems to me that you're having more problems with it than the advertising and status would imply. Hope the repairs/changes work to your satisfaction.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Thanks, Eric.
Seems to me that you're having more problems with it than the advertising and status would imply. Hope the repairs/changes work to your satisfaction.

Yeah, I had a few issues with it. The horn itself plays fantastic, but there were some minor things that needed to be addressed.

The Amado key on the tuning slide did not open completely. You could only open it about half way, so emptying water was a pain. I probably could’ve gotten the tools to take it apart and fix it myself, but I figured since the horn was going back anyways I’d let them address it.

The finish was obviously a big concern. Brett Getzen told me that they have looked into the issue and have addressed it with their quality control team. From now on the satin lacquer should be more durable and applied better.

And my first valve constantly sticks whenever in the upper register. I’m not sure why that was, but if I blew fast enough air it would lock the first valve down until I stopped blowing into the horn.

I told them to look into it, so I’m sure they’ll address it.

Once the horn comes back to me, it should be better than before. And I love that Getzen’s warranty is very good. Plus, how many companies can you email the president and get a direct response?

They’re definitely a great company and the horn is awesome. I don’t have any doubts that they’ll continue to improve on their quality and fix every one of my issues.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat confused about certain parts of this thread. Let me know if I have this straight. Thanks for sharing all of these details about your experience, Eric (Peña).

You bought an Edwards X-13 at TMEA in Feb. 2022. It had a couple of issues, so Brett Getzen agreed to straighten those out for you, and they are still working on that. That's been since March, correct?

In the meanwhile, you went to ITG 2022 last month (June) and arranged to have Logan (Thane) Brown make you a Thane Performance model with some little custom requests. However, after you got it, the Pollard water key leaked (and I think this info is in another fairly current TH thread), so you had Logan change it out for a Saturn. Have you gotten it back, yet?

To make one point, you have not had both horns in your possession at the same time to compare/contrast side by side, yet. Do you think they will play similarly, or do you see yourself selling, say, the Edwards once you get it back? Orrr...

I think those of us with multiple horns can relate to this, that we either have, say, two different Bb tpts that play similarly, one as a backup to the other, OR we have two diff. Bb tpts that play very differently from one another, which will each be used in certain settings. Maybe your intentions fit in one of these scenarios, Eric.

Oh, and one other distinction in this thread: The Thane and Tumultus tpts both use a Meinlschmidt valve block, but I know the latter uses a MAW valve block (manufactured exclusively at Meinlschmidt), but Thane uses a standard valve block made by the same company in Germany. At least that's how I understand it. The MAW block has the top valve caps that are triple threaded (a science I still can't quite understand! even though I have two horns with MAW valve blocks). This is something I wish every valve block had; it is so easy to remove them to apply oil or clean or whatever.

Lastly, Logan has priced his top-of-the-line model at $3500, which is extremely reasonable! If he can maintain that pricing during all of the increases all around us, then kudos to him! He should see some rich dividends with more people flocking to his corner. I heard that Carol Brass has had three increases over the past 2-3 years, and Conn-Selmer (Bach) has just released a price list with increases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: