• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Performance Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I am somewhat confused about certain parts of this thread. Let me know if I have this straight. Thanks for sharing all of these details about your experience, Eric (Peña).

You bought an Edwards X-13 at TMEA in Feb. 2022. It had a couple of issues, so Brett Getzen agreed to straighten those out for you, and they are still working on that. That's been since March, correct?

In the meanwhile, you went to ITG 2022 last month (June) and arranged to have Logan (Thane) Brown make you a Thane Performance model with some little custom requests. However, after you got it, the Pollard water key leaked (and I think this info is in another fairly current TH thread), so you had Logan change it out for a Saturn. Have you gotten it back, yet?

To make one point, you have not had both horns in your possession at the same time to compare/contrast side by side, yet. Do you think they will play similarly, or do you see yourself selling, say, the Edwards once you get it back? Orrr...

I think those of us with multiple horns can relate to this, that we either have, say, two different Bb tpts that play similarly, one as a backup to the other, OR we have two diff. Bb tpts that play very differently from one another, which will each be used in certain settings. Maybe your intentions fit in one of these scenarios, Eric.

Oh, and one other distinction in this thread: The Thane and Tumultus tpts both use a Meinlschmidt valve block, but I know the latter uses a MAW valve block (manufactured exclusively at Meinlschmidt), but Thane uses a standard valve block made by the same company in Germany. At least that's how I understand it. The MAW block has the top valve caps that are triple threaded (a science I still can't quite understand! even though I have two horns with MAW valve blocks). This is something I wish every valve block had; it is so easy to remove them to apply oil or clean or whatever.

Lastly, Logan has priced his top-of-the-line model at $3500, which is extremely reasonable! If he can maintain that pricing during all of the increases all around us, then kudos to him! He should see some rich dividends with more people flocking to his corner. I heard that Carol Brass has had three increases over the past 2-3 years, and Conn-Selmer (Bach) has just released a price list with increases.

The X-13 was purchased at TMEA, had finish issues within a month, but I didn’t sent it back until after I placed my order for the Thane at ITG in May.
I had the X-13 from mid-Feb to late-June before finally sending it in. I’m hoping to get the X-13 back sometime early to mid August.

I ordered my Thane on June 2nd and received it on July 18th. I did request the Pollard keys because I understood them to be better than Amado and they looked nicer than Saturn. After receiving my Thane, I noticed the key was leaking. I contacted Jason Harrelson (I assumed he was still manufacturing the Pollard keys) and Jerry Pollard about the issue.
Jason told me he no longer makes the keys, and Jerry Pollard blamed the leak on a “poor/sloppy” installation….which is complete BS.

Long story short, I brought up the issue to Logan and he tested a few other Pollard keys at his shop and they all leaked. He also tested the Amado and Saturn keys and told me that the Saturn held a tightest seal of all the keys.. Logan is using Saturn keys on his personal horn now and is no longer offering Pollard keys unless specifically requested.

Logan received my slide on July 21st, installed the Saturn, and shipped my slide back out within a few hours of receiving it. No charge to me.
My slide with the Saturn key will be delivered on Monday…7/25.

Depending on how I feel once I have both the Thane and X-13 to compare…I may or may not keep the X-13. Both horns are amazing, but I don’t want to have that much money tied up in a horn I may not even play much.

About the MAW block, from my best understanding…Meinlschmidt uses one block, but the valves are either MAW valves or regular valves. At least that’s how I understood it when Logan explained it to me.
I did try MAW valves on the Thane and it didn’t play as well with them.

My valve block does have the quick on/off screw threads.

Last edited by ericmpena on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response...all makes sense now.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Thane Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Thane "Standard" series? It's their less expensive line. My guess is he is using less expensive parts, like a Carol valve block with their stainless steel valves. That wouldn't dissuade me.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thane Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Has anyone tried the Thane "Standard" series? It's their less expensive line. My guess is he is using less expensive parts, like a Carol valve block with their stainless steel valves. That wouldn't dissuade me.

I know that I played a few Standard models at ITG, but I don’t remember feeling much difference between the Standard and Performance (both were 37 bell).

I’d be very interested in trying a Standard model with a 72 bell to see how it compares to my Performance.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Thane standard model Bb, large taper (referred to as 72 above) bell for 16 months. I visited Logan in Portland to try trumpets, prepared to spend the money for a performance series. After playing 5 or 6 of them, all aspects considered, the standard ended up working best for me. Logan said it was best too, didn’t try to push me to a performance series. I am still pleased with my purchase, it was a good decision and I have had no problems with the instrument whatsoever.

Also, two friends have tried mine, then visited Logan to try what he had ready for sale, and came away with standard model horns.

The performance model seemed to make it slightly easier to ‘shape’ notes, if anything. The 2-piece valve block looks cooler, too, which may matter to some. But otherwise it’s the same build quality.

I also tried the Thane C trumpet, even though I wasn’t in the market for one. It was a performance series, and it was so impressive I’d recommend it in a heartbeat. There was no standard series C trumpet to compare it to that day, but if for some reason I needed a new C trumpet quickly, I’d buy a Thane performance series C sight unseen.

I hope this helps.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 month update.
I love this horn more every single day. My playing is the most consistent it’s ever been, even more so than my younger years.
While the horn looks heavy with the trim kit, it’s still lighter than my AustinWinds 460 and large bore Bach Strad.
The Thane comes in at 2lb 7.7oz with no mouthpiece.

To me the sound is perfect. I can easily full up an indoor venue and project over a band, or I can get a warmer tone whenever I want to play a ballad. The horn does everything extremely well.

This is my first raw brass horn, so I’ll say that my hands don’t smell nearly as much as I was expecting. The metal patina’d much faster than I expected, but it looks great.

Nearly a month later and I still wake up excited to play my Thane Performance.

First picture is the day I received the horn

Last edited by ericmpena on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that is a gorgeous trumpet. I trust that it plays as well as it looks. I would love to try one someday.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
...About the MAW block, from my best understanding…Meinlschmidt uses one block, but the valves are either MAW valves or regular valves. At least that’s how I understood it when Logan explained it to me.

I meant to ask, what differences did you find between the regular Meinlschmidt and MAW valves in playtesting both?
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
...About the MAW block, from my best understanding…Meinlschmidt uses one block, but the valves are either MAW valves or regular valves. At least that’s how I understood it when Logan explained it to me.

I meant to ask, what differences did you find between the regular Meinlschmidt and MAW valves in playtesting both?

I only tried the MAW valves for about 2 minutes at ITG, and my initial impression was that they made the horn less free-blowing and the sound was less vibrant.

However, since I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with the MAW valves, I’m actually ordering a set from Logan.
Lots of other great horns use them, so I want to give them another try.

I’ll let you know my final thoughts once I receive the MAW valves and get a good amount of time playing them.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

I received my set of MAW valves yesterday and played them for about 7 hours at gigs.

First off, I’m going to have to send my horn to Logan to have the MAW valves properly fitted. They work okay, but the 1st and 2nd valve are sometimes slightly slow to pop back up. Hopefully the turnaround time is quick for the valve fitting.

As far as playing goes, it’s hard to tell a difference. I hear a slight difference in sound, but it seems like more of a preference choice rather than one being better than the other.

The MAW valves make the horn sound like it has more core and stability. Flexibility feels very consistent. The trade off is that the horn doesn’t seem to resonate as freely and sounds a little quieter. The MAW valves feel very solid when playing loudly in the higher range. The horn has incredible stability…which I get also with the standard pistons, but it’s just slightly less locked in than the MAW valves.

I can try to make a recording, but I doubt you’ll be able to tell a difference without being in person.

Today I’m gonna use my regular pistons, but I’ll keep spending time with the MAW valves to see if I can find a significant difference.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to my Thane Performance. Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:

I drive down for the day to again try as many horns possible. I had finally found a Tumultus to try and it played amazing!
I spent a few hours going back and forth between the Thane Performance and the Tumultus. Both horn are absolutely stunning when it comes to the build quality and the playability is way above the rest.]

Eric, do you remember the specs on the Tumultus trumpet you played. Was it the large bell or the medium. Was the bell gold brass or red brass, ETC.
I am curious because this horn is now on my radar as I have sold my Thane trumpet and am in the market for something new. Thinking about the LL model.
Also, did you happen to try any of the Lotus trumpets when you were at ITG.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to my Thane Performance. Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

I drive down for the day to again try as many horns possible. I had finally found a Tumultus to try and it played amazing!
I spent a few hours going back and forth between the Thane Performance and the Tumultus. Both horn are absolutely stunning when it comes to the build quality and the playability is way above the rest.]

Eric, do you remember the specs on the Tumultus trumpet you played. Was it the large bell or the medium. Was the bell gold brass or red brass, ETC.
I am curious because this horn is now on my radar as I have sold my Thane trumpet and am in the market for something new. Thinking about the LL model.

The Tumultus was a medium bell, I think yellow brass. I'd recommend getting the large bell if you decide to get a Tumultus. And I'd probably stick with yellow brass since it's already a dark sounding horn.

I did try the Lotus trumpets for a while, but I didn't find anything impressive about them...at least not enough to justify their $7,000 price tag.
I'd also avoid AR Resonance. The Suprema I played sounded extremely dead and had no life to it. Those are probably the two most disappointing horns.

The Tumultus, large bell Thane Performance, and Edwards X-13 are still my top 3 choices, depending on what you're looking for.

I think the X-13 is the most unique with a huge sound and lightweight body.
The Tumultus is a heavier horn with a warm sound. Plays super smoothly.
And the Thane Performance is a nice mix of the two.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to my Thane Performance. Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

The Tumultus was a medium bell, I think yellow brass. I'd recommend getting the large bell if you decide to get a Tumultus. And I'd probably stick with yellow brass since it's already a dark sounding horn.

I did try the Lotus trumpets for a while, but I didn't find anything impressive about them...at least not enough to justify their $7,000 price tag.
I'd also avoid AR Resonance. The Suprema I played sounded extremely dead and had no life to it. Those are probably the two most disappointing horns.

The Tumultus, large bell Thane Performance, and Edwards X-13 are still my top 3 choices, depending on what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info Eric. I did email Martin and he suggested I stick with the medium bell due to the type on music I play. He thought the larger bell would take too much effort to play high on. I do believe the gold brass would work best in my situation.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Journey to my Thane Performance. Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
ericmpena wrote:

Thanks for the info Eric. I did email Martin and he suggested I stick with the medium bell due to the type on music I play. He thought the larger bell would take too much effort to play high on. I do believe the gold brass would work best in my situation.

I know Trent Austin prefers the larger bell now, and I also prefer the larger bell on Thane…so I guess it just depends what you want.

The medium bells to me blow tighter and take more effort to project the sound. Feels closer to a traditional Strad.

Some people prefer that, but I personally don’t like the resistance I get when I play a Strad or most other horns.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen more than a few people ask about the Thane vs. the X-13, so I figured these rough videos might be helpful to some.

I made these 3 videos pretty quickly and low quality for a potential buyer for my X-13, not with the intent of posting them publicly, but I'm sure someone out there may find it useful since these horns are not easy to test on your own without having to purchase one.

Link

Link

Link
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of Charlier #2 with the Thane Performane.

Link
Juhqu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow trumpetplayers and ericmpena especially!
This is my first post on trumpetherald altough I have some 34 years of trumpetplaying behind me.
I really appreciate your insights on Thane trumpets and I have a great interest for a performance C especially.
I can't find a phone number for Thane trumpets anywhere and I would really like to call him and ask more before placing an order.
Would any of you guys know how to reach him by phone?
You could also pm the number for me if it is not prudent to put phone numbers on forums?
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juhqu wrote:
This is my first post on trumpetherald altough I have some 34 years of trumpetplaying behind me.
I really appreciate your insights on Thane trumpets and I have a great interest for a performance C especially.
I can't find a phone number for Thane trumpets anywhere and I would really like to call him and ask more before placing an order.
You could also pm the number for me if it is not prudent to put phone numbers on forums?

Why don't you email him and provide your number for him to call?
He may not have a business number and may not want random people calling his private phone. I didn't post my number until I had a business line.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericmpena wrote:
Little bit of Charlier #2 with the Thane Performane.

Link

I really enjoyed that - nicely done!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juhqu wrote:

I’d highly recommend emailing him. He usually responds to emails in the morning (around 10am central time).

You can try including your phone number. I’ve personally never talked with him on the phone, but I’ve had zero issues with email communication.

thanetrumpets@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: