• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roll-In #2 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page 88 of Balenced Embouchure, Jeff Smiley says, "Always focus on increasing the volume".

Is he talking about the drag down slurs on the top of the facing page, or is he talking about the tonguing exercise on the bottom of the facing page?

When he says to focus on increasing the volume, does he mean that we should make a crescendo while we're playing the exercise, or does he mean to try to play the entire exercise louder every time that we play it?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

[ This Message was edited by: tomba51 on 2004-01-14 20:05 ]
TXBD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Jeff may have to chime in here, BUT I interpret the instructions at the bottom of p.88 as pertaining to the exercise at the bottom of p.89. However, the underlined sentence near the center of the page seems (to me) to indicate increased volume as you progress on the exercise. Again, it's another one of those things that I think will work itself out, then we'll wonder why we were even concerned.

Billy Marquis
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students often play Roll-In stuff soft in the beginning, as it "can be" a delicate process. But as soon as pitches get consistant, I always encourage the student to play the exercises louder. The sooner these notes become solid, the better.

I am generally opposed to methods that have you play soft for soft's sake, or who advocate stuff, for example, like the "one handed no pressure grip." The focus here is all wrong, in my opinion.

So, in general, simply work to increase your overall volume when in a rolled-in setup, especially if your rolled-in sound is thin.

Most adults who take a one-shot lesson here play way too soft, especially on lip slurs. At some point, you have to start blowing. I tend to move students who want to be lead players, into a dominant lead player model. (more like Roger Ingram than Scott Englebright, for those of you that are familiar with these players.) Both are good players, but if both are on the bandstand sans mikes, it will be like Scott isn't even there.

Hope that I don't get into trouble over that one.

Getting students to drop the fear of loud playing (and to commit their physical resources more fully) is half the battle. Finding band directors who actually encourage stronger playing is the other half.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: