• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Losing muscle memory after time off

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonya wrote:
The "slightly tired" feeling is more often caused by practicing a lot, then taking a break and coming back. I can play for two hours and feel great, but if I rest and come back, it takes some time to get going again. I'm probably not really feeling the fatigue until some rest takes place.

What you are describing is what I am explaining. You need to not "practice a lot" all at once to get better at what you're trying to fix. If you take a rest and come back, you shouldn't feel fatigued. That means you went too hard in the previous session. You need to develop more awareness of exactly where you are in your "fuel tank of fatigue" if that makes sense.

Trumpet endurance is more like running/cycling etc than it is weight lifting; so I'll make a running analogy. There are two ways to stress the system -- intensity and duration. For intensity: it's the difference between running a mile in 5 mins or walking it in 22 mins. You will likely be sore quickly from the 5 minute effort but you could definitely do another 1 mile/22 minute effort almost immediately after the first. Intensity on trumpet comes from extremes -- softs, louds, highs lows, leaps.

Then there is duration. This one is self explanatory -- you are running at the same pace but in one case you run for 30 minutes and in the second you run for an hour. Chances are, you can accomplish a 30 minute effort every day where with the hour, you might need to take every other day off (resulting in potentially 30mins less practice a week).

So, you my friend, are taxing the system too hard by making a 2 hour session all at once. This causes the chops to be fatigued but you're so used to it that you can't recognize what you're doing.

I learned this from the principal of the Berlin Phil (Guillaume Jehl). Instead of playing for 2 hours in a row, what he did was played for 30 minutes at the beginning of every hour. So 30 on, 30 off until he hit two hours of practice. This will get you much more in tune with your body and help you realize where your fatigue point is. Then you can grow in duration and intensity from there. But unless you actually make efforts to learn your body, you will always have the problem where you can't quite come back easily from 24hours off the horn.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: