• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting nowhere slowly.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmor56

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Getting nowhere slowly. Reply with quote

66 year old comeback player, practicing daily for 4 years now, using a Yamaha 6335s. I started with a bach 3c and moved to a 3cw symphonic, and love how I sound with it. Wanting to improve my range, I tried Total Range, and made a little progress up to an Eb. After finishing the exercises, I would wait an hour as the book instructs, and try to play other music and my lips were too stiff to get sound without a lot of difficulty. After about 6 months of that I switched to CG. After a year of working through CG on my own and not seeing any range progress, I started taking privately on line with a CG teacher. Now after about 13 months with him, my technique has definitely improved, as has my endurance, but my range has gone nowhere. I can slur up to a high g, even double c when I first pick up the horn, but struggle to play a c# or d in the middle of a rehearsal. My teacher says it’s not the equipment, but it’s hard not to question that after several years of trying, and watching every YouTube video and reading every article I can find. I’m extremely frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jmor56 on Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing you play, it is very difficult to diagnose...but I can relate to some of this, as I also have experienced similar symptoms.
It sounds to me as if you are forcing the air inefficiently- cutting off the upper register. I had to "relearn" alot of what I learned the wrong way.
This was just one thing...I'll message you about some other things without droning on here.
-Andy
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification: when you say "double C" do you mean the one two ledger lines above the staff or the one an octave above that?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention having trouble hitting C# and D in the middle of rehearsal. What sort of group do you play with, and how long are rehearsals? How much of that time is spent with the horn on your lips?

There are guys on this board who are rock-solid pros who top out at D and E. I've been back at it for 9 years after 40 years away from it, and I'm streaky with the E. I'll go 3-4 weeks where I can't miss and then (usually after a 3-4 week span of needing to play muted exclusively), I'll have trouble going above Eb again. But I'm just a park bench noodler so I don't need anything above that C-D.

I know how much range I would like to have (unlimited) but know what I really need (I'm there), and I keep working on technqiue to expand it. But I also realize a 280-pound guy who runs a 40 just shy of 6 seconds isn't going to be a wide receiver. Growth mindset and realistic expectations and patience, that's what old comeback players need. Keep working, keep EXPERIMENTING, and don't give up.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"watching every YouTube video and reading every article I can find"

This is your problem
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
"watching every YouTube video and reading every article I can find"

This is your problem

Great comment.
BTW for a non pro player the OP has not a bad range at all.
I don't know how much he practices\ plays but if that's modest you can't expect to be on par with or close to the Bergerons in this life.
And 66 and still craving for range? There is more in life, even for a trumpet player.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting nowhere slowly. Reply with quote

jmor56 wrote:
... watching every YouTube video and reading every article I can find. ...

--------------------------------
There's nothing inherently bad about that, but I think it's very important to do a critical analysis of the info and ideas. What I've seen is that there usually is some helpful 'kernal' of info - but it is often concealed in a bunch of prattle.

Look for the basic 'fundamentals' that are actually being done - maybe not so much the details of what is being 'talked about'.

And those 'kernals' of good info are usually things that reinforce and refine the basic fundamentals.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Just for clarification: when you say "double C" do you mean the one two ledger lines above the staff or the one an octave above that?

Yes. If it means what it means to me (“an octave above that”) then I don’t see any problem with that range for an older comeback player. Being an older comeback player myself.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting nowhere slowly. Reply with quote

jmor56 wrote:
66 year old comeback player, practicing daily for 4 years now, using a Yamaha 6335s. I started with a bach 3c and moved to a 3cw symphonic, and love how I sound with it. Wanting to improve my range, I tried Total Range, and made a little progress up to an Eb. After finishing the exercises, I would wait an hour as the book instructs, and try to play other music and my lips were too stiff to get sound without a lot of difficulty. After about 6 months of that I switched to CG. After a year of working through CG on my own and not seeing any range progress, I started taking privately on line with a CG teacher. Now after about 13 months with him, my technique has definitely improved, as has my endurance, but my range has gone nowhere. I can slur up to a high g, even double c when I first pick up the horn, but struggle to play a c# or d in the middle of a rehearsal. My teacher says it’s not the equipment, but it’s hard not to question that after several years of trying, and watching every YouTube video and reading every article I can find. I’m extremely frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If a D mid-rehearsal is a struggle then I'd be very surprised if those double C's that you can only touch on when fresh are full-bodied "real" notes. If you can't access them and exercise any control over them in a melodic, performance situation then they're not useful to you.

As you go higher you need to find the nuances of *how* you do it and train your playing mechanisms to do what needs to be done - it's the result of many pieces that make up the whole and they *all* have to be there - lips, teeth & horn angle, pressure/pressure distribution, tongue/oral cavity, air.

You need to be able to move it all toward the next change. This changes with every half step and with every change in dynamics. You're not doing the same thing with a quiet top of staff G that you do when you really hammer the same pitch. You're on an over the staff A and want to go to high C you have to move everything to achieve that. High C to F over high C, same thing. The changes become more subtle the higher you go but they have to happen. You're always walking a tightrope and it's really easy to fall off as demonstrated whenever a really good player clams a note - they've reached an elite level of playing and have things buttoned down better than most yet it still happens.

I think there's value in watching others but it won't tell you the nuances of what has to happen with *your* chops externally and internally. Watch Doc, Maynard Ferguson, Jon Faddis, James Morrison, Phil Driscoll play a double C - they all look different.

Knowing nothing about your personal setup some mouthpiece recommendations - Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead and Yamaha Allen Vizzutti - they're similar though the Vizzutti isn't quite as shallow as the Bobby Shew. If there's some fundamental issue with your mechanics I don't think they're going to help. You still have to be able to move to the next change.

Posting video would be a good idea.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are making excellent progress in just four years. You've now arrived at a plateau with your range as you continue to improve in other areas. The notes you are struggling with in rehearsal are likely the highest notes you'll see written in community or church group music. I realize you want more range, faster, but it will take time. Keep on practicing intelligently and diligently, and you'll get there.

A few thoughts regarding your plateau. First, are you wearing yourself out before rehearsals (particularly given your focus on range)? Try backing off on your practice a bit, particularly one or even two days before rehearsal. See what happens.

Second, if your trumpet is in proper playing condition -- good mechanical condition and reasonably clean inside -- then your horn is probably not the issue, especially if your challenge is with rehearsal not practice. Having said that, you've probably been playing long enough now to have a decent sense of what works well for you. Thus, no harm in borrowing a horn or visiting your local music store to see if another horn makes a noticeable difference.

Finally, if gear is an issue, the 3CW Symphonic is a more likely culprit than your horn. Get in touch with a reputable mouthpiece maker like Pickett, Hammond, Reeves, Stork...for a consultation. They'll steer you in a good direction.

Good luck!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarity in this thread, "double C" does not mean the C above 2nd ledger C, it means 2nd ledger C - what many young players refer to as "High C."

I think range is often looked at as some kind of marker for ability, which is unfortunate. I've been working with a kid from my hometown over FaceTime and I've hit a bit of a block with him - I think he has a misconception about how "good" he is as a player because he had the ability to hit high notes by the time he was in middle school.

The problem? He doesn't want to fill in the blanks on any of his other fundamentals - he wants to slop his way through pep band tunes so that he can try to play high notes, which he mostly lost once he got his braces removed.

To jmor56 I'll say this - don't worry about the range too much. You're a comeback player and only have 4 years back on the horn. Unless your desire is to be a big band lead player, you're probably fine with the range you have.

As a young player I'd been playing 8-10 years before I started to get a handle on upper register with any consistency, and even today, 40+ years later, my usable range tops out at a D# - my hit/miss ratio decreases dramatically after that, and that's ok - almost all of the music I've been required to play over the course of a career of playing for pay has been 2nd ledger C and under.

If there has been any regret over my life as a player it's that I just never had the chops to be a big band lead player. For that, the D# just doesn't cut it - for the bands I've played with, I'd need a G consistently. With that said, my range never prevented me from being a solid 3rd and 4th book player.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated. Patrick. I couldn't agree more.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
For clarity in this thread, "double C" does not mean the C above 2nd ledger C, it means 2nd ledger C

Maybe I missed something, how do you know that's what he meant?
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixer wrote:
trickg wrote:
For clarity in this thread, "double C" does not mean the C above 2nd ledger C, it means 2nd ledger C

It's a fair assumption. I've never heard anyone who can slur up to a 5-ledger line C complain about range problems.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
Nixer wrote:
trickg wrote:

It's a fair assumption. I've never heard anyone who can slur up to a 5-ledger line C complain about range problems.

Hmmm, fair assumption?
Quote OP:
'I can slur up to a high g, even double c when I first pick up the horn, but struggle to play a c# or d in the middle of a rehearsal'.

Explain then that.
BTW it's possible that the OP is not complaining at all, maybe he only wants to let us know that he can play a double C. Will not be the first time.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixer wrote:
trickg wrote:

There are a few things here that let us know that this is 2nd ledger C and not the C an octave above that.

1. Comeback player in their mid 60s with only 4 years back on the horn.

2. Playing on a 3CW Symphonic mouthpiece. It is possible to play that C an octave above 2nd ledger C with a 3CW Symphonic mouthpiece, but it's not what I'd choose if I was trying to dial in extreme upper register.

3. Talked about making a little progress to Eb. ABOVE 5th ledger C? Color me crazy, but if I had that kind of range I don't think I'd be starting a thread on this board talking about going nowhere quickly, and wanting to get advice for that on THIS board?

4. Talks about playing a C# or D in the middle of a rehearsal. How much repertoire do you know of that has written 5th ledger C#'s and 6th ledger D's?

I could be wrong, but I'd make a sizeable bet that I'm not.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be getting somewhere slowly without noticing…

I often think I’m kinda stagnant and then my teacher will mention something he’s noticed….Last lesson I was feeling a little guilty about not working harder…then out of the blue the teacher said my ability to get different tones out of my horn was way improved over where I was a few months ago

It’s hard to assess yourself sometimes
jmor56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:

An octave above that.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone lost a bet.
jmor56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Nixer wrote:
trickg wrote:

There are a few things here that let us know that this is 2nd ledger C and not the C an octave above that.

1. Comeback player in their mid 60s with only 4 years back on the horn.

2. Playing on a 3CW Symphonic mouthpiece. It is possible to play that C an octave above 2nd ledger C with a 3CW Symphonic mouthpiece, but it's not what I'd choose if I was trying to dial in extreme upper register.

3. Talked about making a little progress to Eb. ABOVE 5th ledger C? Color me crazy, but if I had that kind of range I don't think I'd be starting a thread on this board talking about going nowhere quickly, and wanting to get advice for that on THIS board?

4. Talks about playing a C# or D in the middle of a rehearsal. How much repertoire do you know of that has written 5th ledger C#'s and 6th ledger D's?

I could be wrong, but I'd make a sizeable bet that I'm not.

I was referring to double high c when I first pick up the horn. I am referring to high c, c#, d, or eb, below double c when I’m speaking of notes I need to play in the middle of rehearsal and struggle with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: