• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 11/2C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoreman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Bach 11/2C Reply with quote

I would like to know who plays on a Bach 11/2C, and why did you choose it?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one from 1968 until a few years ago when I switched to mostly playing Eb cornet. My college teacher insisted I start under him on a 5B S (symphonic backbore) but after a few lessons said I was one of those big cup guys. He asked what I used before, I said I had tried some in a music store and liked the 1 1/4 C, and had used it for the previous 2 years. He tossed me a 1 1/2 C S (Corp, no period) and I liked it really well. It gave me a stronger projection than the 1 1/4 C and other 1's.

I have done so much trading and reselling and experimenting that I have 100's of mouthpieces. While I use Schilkes or Yamaha pieces for most regular playing now, if I want that "orchestral" sound, I break out my Strads and the 1 1/2 C S from the old days. Only I did get it gold plated a few years ago.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an older 1.5C bottom with a slightly smaller older vintage 3C top. I settled on this because I liked the sound better than I got with the smaller pieces I tried. I liked the stock 3C okay but the 1.5C produced a more gratifying tone for me.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 1-1/2C user. Like many, I started on a 7C. Halfway through high school I went to a Schilke 15, then in college I fell into the "bigger is better" mentality and went to a Schilke 20. After a year or so I decided to downsize, so I went to a Bach 1C (probably the most uncomfortable rim I've played) then a Curry 1BC, which was a revelation. After hitting a plateau, my buddy convinced me to try something a little narrower. After resisting I tried a few slightly narrower pieces and was shocked at the difference in playability. I continued on my quest and arrived at a 1-1/2C size range but in a different rim profile (I find the old Laskey 1CH-style contour to be the best fit for my face so far).

huntman10 wrote:
He tossed me a 1 1/2 C S (Corp, no period) and I liked it really well.

While I use Schilkes or Yamaha pieces for most regular playing now, if I want that "orchestral" sound, I break out my Strads and the 1 1/2 C S from the old days. Only I did get it gold plated a few years ago.

I have one of those. Well, it's an underpart. I use a copy of a Laskey rim scaled to 78 on it and it plays great. I wasn't positive what the 'S' stood for (was told 'Symphonic' but you never really know these days) so I messaged Selmer on Facebook and asked. Turns out 'S' did stand for 'Symphonic' and was used at various times to designate a 24 backbore, though I wasn't given any information as to why the inconsistency.

I also have an early 70s custom shop C1-1/2C underpart with a 117 backbore that I use on E flat. Makes a stock Schilke E3L sound almost like a C trumpet.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 11/2C Reply with quote

shoreman wrote:
I would like to know who plays on a Bach 11/2C, and why did you choose it?

1 lots of people
2 good mouthpiece
3 probably a good fit for those people

Last edited by delano on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I played one from 1968 until a few years ago when I switched to mostly playing Eb cornet. My college teacher insisted I start under him on a 5B S (symphonic backbore) but after a few lessons said I was one of those big cup guys. He asked what I used before, I said I had tried some in a music store and liked the 1 1/4 C, and had used it for the previous 2 years. He tossed me a 1 1/2 C S (Corp, no period) and I liked it really well. It gave me a stronger projection than the 1 1/4 C and other 1's.

I have done so much trading and reselling and experimenting that I have 100's of mouthpieces. While I use Schilkes or Yamaha pieces for most regular playing now, if I want that "orchestral" sound, I break out my Strads and the 1 1/2 C S from the old days. Only I did get it gold plated a few years ago.

Way back, playing the soprano in our brassband I used the Mount Vernon (1970)1 1/2 C - with great results.
However - I did find it having a too restricted tonal spectrum (in the trumpet version) for my trumpet playing. So VB 1 1/4 C was my legit piece - incl lead.
But - the way you play any mouthpiece is important when it comes to the sound qualities. Lately I have found that the placement of the mouthpiece is a major variable (for me at least). More upper lip- bigger sound.
Should be self evident - for me it wasn´t.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play it for classical music and found it adequate enough. A few years back I found a mouthpiece that better matches my playstyle and technique (or lack thereof). Also, I prefer a different style rim (but that’s not limited to the Bach 1 1/2C)…the ‘traditional style’ for a lack of a better term doesn’t really suit me. The 1 1/2C’s a decent mouthpiece though. Nothing fancy but that can be a perk too.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I chose a Bach 1.5 rim?:

Like a majority to trumpet players, I started in grade school with a Bach 7C. As I grew, my face outgrew the 7 rim. I tried a variety of sizes in high school, and I found that 1.25 made me feel like my embouchure fell into it and a 3 felt a smidge too narrow. Once I found a 1.5, I liked how it fit my lips perfectly--right amount of upper and lower lip exposed by the diameter of the rim and protruding into the cup. The standard 1.5C sounded full and teutonic. I stayed with it through my college years and received many compliments on my sound.

Then, I took a quarter century off playing as I established my career.

However, once I had kids, I yearned to play again. The 1.5 rim still fit my face, but I had become a far better and more sophisticated player during my second go around on the instrument. Playing four centuries worth of musical styles in wind ensemble and orchestra, I realized that I needed to use different equipment to get the sounds I wanted/needed for particular styles of music. So, I dabbled with other rims for just a few sessions, and realized that changing rim size terribly detrimented my sound production.

Solution: Stay with the 1.5 rim and vary cup depth/shape, throat size, and backbore shape. Flip Oakes had worked with Mark Curry to design a number of mouthpieces for his trumpet line, and I have 5 or 6 of those. I have collected about eight 1.5 rim mouthpieces over a decade from which I may choose. From dark/soft/smoky, dark/bold, medium dark, balanced/bold/broad, balanced but brighter, balanced with easier high range, to bright suitable for lead. However, I mostly play just a few of them. I often practice my exercises on Flip's XT to build stamina as it has an extreme throat and deep cup and requires both wind strength and embouchure control. I usually perform standard repertoire on Flip's O as I get a very balanced, bold, broad sound that fills a hall. I use Flip's C trumpet mouthpiece for 90% of C playing; occasionally use a TC to sound more dark like a Cornet keyed in C or dampen the higher overtones when in a softer, more exposed chamber-like musical section where one does not want excess brightness.

Both my children play trumpet, and they also fell into 1.5 rims (inherited my lips, lol). My son plays 4 or 5 different mouthpieces. Bach 1.5C&B Megatones make his old Conn sound good for some reason. Bach standard and Artisan 1.5C blanks sound better on his Bach 72. He uses a shallower Curry mouthpiece for Jazz. My daughter plays only Jazz—usually 3rd trumpet in her college's big band—so, either a Curry for brightness or Flip's O for broadness.

In summary, I recommend that you choose a rim that fits the physical dimensions of your lips/face first and then choose cups, throats, and backbores to color your tone palette to fit the style of music you must perform. Changing rim size messes with one's sound production, due to altering the lips' sympathetic vibration with the standing wave vibrating within the trumpet. However, changing cup, throat, and backbore is easy, because lip vibration remains identical and only the shape of the standing wave changes as it vibrates back and forth through the mouthpiece.

Good luck finding your perfect mouthpiece fit!
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have in the past.

It was comfortable, available, versatile, made a great sound, and my chops could swell a bit and still play pretty well.
shoreman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses. I learned a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: