• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure Response and Another Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanEuph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Embouchure Response and Another Question Reply with quote

Hi all, curious to know your thoughts! Recently started getting into the Reinhardt stuff and it's really interesting so far. I've started incorporating more 'HOO' attacks into my warmup, but I'm noticing that there's a lot of air passing the chops before the note actually speaks. I'm following the form, place, and breathe rules and I'm conscious about keeping the lips just touching. (I'm a IIIA, btw!) It feels like the air is blowing the chops open (I can hear the popping sound of my lips opening due to the air), and then it's taking a couple of seconds for the note to actually sound amidst the noise of air! Is this something that will get better over time?

Another question. I've seen a couple of articles mention that Reinhardt would instruct students to forget about anything Reinhardt-related when practicing pieces or non-Reinhardt routines; does anyone have any advice on how to turn that analytical switch off? I've got into trouble a few times by consciously thinking about chops when gigging or doing normal practice, especially when it comes to forming the embouchure!

My first post here, sorry for the wall of text!

Dan,
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the gentle HOO at soft volume... Not an "attack" at all, more of a gradual release so you really get the feel of "just touching" and keeping it like that so you get rid of the delayed response issue.
If you "hear the popping sound of my lips opening" you're probably a bit more closed than "just touching."

As for "consciously thinking about chops" when playing music, that's an individual thing. Mostly you should forget about it but there may be times it's worth remembering to set properly or breathe through the corners or something else.
DanEuph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Keep up the gentle HOO at soft volume... Not an "attack" at all, more of a gradual release so you really get the feel of "just touching" and keeping it like that so you get rid of the delayed response issue.
If you "hear the popping sound of my lips opening" you're probably a bit more closed than "just touching."

As for "consciously thinking about chops" when playing music, that's an individual thing. Mostly you should forget about it but there may be times it's worth remembering to set properly or breathe through the corners or something else.

Thanks, Doug, I'll bear those in mind!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Response and Another Question Reply with quote

DanEuph wrote:
... I'm noticing that there's a lot of air passing the chops before the note actually speaks. I'm following the form, place, and breathe rules and I'm conscious about keeping the lips just touching.
It feels like the air is blowing the chops open (I can hear the popping sound of my lips opening due to the air), and then it's taking a couple of seconds for the note to actually sound amidst the noise of air! Is this something that will get better over time? ...

Doug Elliott wrote:
... Not an "attack" at all, more of a gradual release so you really get the feel of "just touching" and keeping it like that so you get rid of the delayed response issue.
If you "hear the popping sound of my lips opening" you're probably a bit more closed than "just touching." ...

-------------------------------------
Dan,

Based on your description of "a lot of air passing the chops before the note actually speaks". MY thought is that even though your lips are initially touching, they are not yet 'adjusted' to vibrate properly (too loose) - so there is air flow without sound.

Perhaps as you blow the soundless air flow, you also make gradual lip adjustments to produce the sound. Learning (and employing) the correct amount of adjustment BEFORE starting to blow would reduce or eliminate the 'delayed response'.

The initial lip 'pop' might be caused by a sudden relaxing of the lips as soon as air flow begins, and then the gradual tightening until sound is created.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
DanEuph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update so folks know how I fixed the problem! I had an online lesson with Doug, and he correctly diagnosed my pivot (I'm diagonally down to the left to descend and up to the right to ascend), and through practicing my pivot this way I noticed my placement wanting to drift ever-so-slightly off to the left. Once the mouthpiece settled over there, the response issues were resolved. I've also done some cheek-puff routines kindly given to me by Chris LaBarbera, and this has only solidified my placement over there as I get a powerful feeling for the "legs" in that spot.

More evidence to make sure you get your type and pivot sorted, as things might want to adjust when you start doing things the right way for your face!
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know where in the encyclopedia the Cheek Puff routine is?
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhardt wanted you to forget his teachings on a gig, but when practicing music at home, it’s still pretty good to be mindful of his teachings.

Regarding turning the analysis off on a gig, I have a couple possible suggestions:

1). Don’t fight it. Counterintuitive perhaps, but sometimes the more you try to “fight” and “discipline” yourself to do something, the more persistent it becomes. What if you said, “Well, my mind is wandering a bit, how about that?” And just let it gently move back to the music. Easier said than done, I know, but it might help.

2). It sounds like it could be a symptom of anxiety. Try to calm your mind. Have you ever tried meditation? Dave Sheetz had me purchase a copy of Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. I found it helpful and enjoyable.

3). It could just be a honeymoon effect of the new teaching. It kind of happened to me too. As you get more acquainted with the material, it will become less of a big deal, and you will stop worrying about it.

HTH,

Josh
DanEuph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
Does anyone happen to know where in the encyclopedia the Cheek Puff routine is?

I'm not sure it's in the encyclopedia as they're quite advanced studies and quite dangerous if abused! I was given them by a Reinhardt teacher, and they're very obviously hand-written by the man himself so I don't particularly want to share copies out of respect for the teacher. Your best bet would be to get in contact with a Reinhardt teacher and see if the exercises are what you need at this particular time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: