• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Bachs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you bought a new old Bach. And in the near future it will be possible to buy an old new Bach.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I bought an old Bach.

An old new new bach, as opposed to the new new new bachs (and the old old new bachs, like Artisans)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
E_Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big qustion with all of this is how we'll be able to tell apart new new old bachs from the new new new bachs. It'll be easier with the 190 series since they did away with the bell engravings but I wonder what the differences are between a 180 43 or 37 from 2 months ago versus a new new new one ordered today.

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E_Smith wrote:
My big qustion with all of this is how we'll be able to tell apart new new old bachs from the new new new bachs. It'll be easier with the 190 series since they did away with the bell engravings but I wonder what the differences are between a 180 43 or 37 from 2 months ago versus a new new new one ordered today.

The serial numbers jumped to 800,000 for the new horns, so 800,000 and up will be the easiest way to tell that it is a "new new" Bach.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Bach is a good Bach. It has always been this way, through all of the different periods of manufacture. Hopefully, there will be a high percentage of good ones coming out now.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I had a 37GH from the '90s that was awesome. Great response despite the heavy bell. I kind of wished I'd kept it but the heavy weight led to a one dimensional sound.

Irving wrote:
A good Bach is a good Bach. It has always been this way, through all of the different periods of manufacture. Hopefully, there will be a high percentage of good ones coming out now.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they will come out with a ML C trumpet. That could be popular for part time players and church and chamber music.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Bach Reply with quote

The Bach FB page has a vid featuring John Raymond with the new Bach 65 Vindabore. John could play a beat up Bundy horn and still sound good, but he really does sound fantastic on that Bach.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
I bought an old Bach.

An old new new bach, as opposed to the new new new bachs (and the old old new bachs, like Artisans)

Perfect.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get off my my achin' Bach.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
I wonder if they will come out with a ML C trumpet. That could be popular for part time players and church and chamber music.

I wonder if the horns shown on the Bach site are the only ones that are (or will be) available? I have an early ‘80s 239 ML C trumpet, which used to be a standard model. I also have an early ‘90s 184G L Bb cornet, and the only ones shown on the site are ML bore ones with yellow brass bells.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Andy said they will be announcing some new C trumpets later this year. Its hard to imagine them doing anything crazy since most C trumpet players are much more conservative with their sound concept and equipment choice, but I'm sure they'll be incorporating all of the new revisions and improvements into the 229 and 239 models.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
I believe Andy said they will be announcing some new C trumpets later this year. Its hard to imagine them doing anything crazy since most C trumpet players are much more conservative with their sound concept and equipment choice, but I'm sure they'll be incorporating all of the new revisions and improvements into the 229 and 239 models.

I'd really like to get a 190239 with a 1st trigger and maybe a 7 or 7r leadpipe. I am excited to see what they release though.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
BudBix wrote:

I wonder if the horns shown on the Bach site are the only ones that are (or will be) available? I have an early ‘80s 239 ML C trumpet, which used to be a standard model. I also have an early ‘90s 184G L Bb cornet, and the only ones shown on the site are ML bore ones with yellow brass bells.

Earlier in the thread he did say they would be doing more over the coming years we'll have to wait and see. An updated 184 Cornet that could take a chunk of the brass band market wouldn't be a bad idea.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:
BudBix wrote:

Earlier in the thread he did say they would be doing more over the coming years we'll have to wait and see. An updated 184 Cornet that could take a chunk of the brass band market wouldn't be a bad idea.

True. A large (or XL) bore 184 with a wider bell taper and triggers on both ends might open up that market a little. I played mine in a competitive lower-tier U.S. brass band for many years with no real issues, but it is a large bore with the gold brass bell option, which was a little more brass band friendly than the ML yellow brass belled model.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

]
BudBix wrote:
An updated 184 Cornet that could take a chunk of the brass band market wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dale Proctor wrote:
A large (or XL) bore 184 with a wider bell taper and triggers on both ends might open up that market a little. I played mine in a competitive lower-tier U.S. brass band for many years with no real issues, but it is a large bore with the gold brass bell option...

From what I have seen, Bach never really focused on the brass band market. Bach's personal selections in the early years were certainly on the bright side. I've only encountered one big gold brass 184 like Dale's but wow what a horn. As much as I like the standard YCR-8335, which is remarkable in how it plays for as basic as it seems on the outside, those couple of Bach's are on a whole other level.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the suggestion to bring back the MLC, as mentioned above. I have a 1980 Bach MLC, which as a part-time C trumpet player, works well for me. And I love my Bach 184 Cornet, and I like the idea of an expanded line of Bach cornets.

And while we're adding to the wish list, how about an expanded Apollo line that includes a Field Trumpet (bugle), and a more affordable Cornet and Flugelhorn?

And FWIW, if I had $4.5k, I'd love to get my hands on a Bach 19072V.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play the new Bach 17043GYR model Apollo trumpet. Cool horn. Very efficient and responsive, even at the lowest dynamics. The 6R leadpipe offers a lot of resistance, quite a bit more than a 25. The two-piece 43 bell (gold brass stem, yellow brass flare) still has much of the character of the regular 43 bell. Well worth checking out if you like a really efficient horn and some resistance to push against.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I had a chance to play the new Bach 17043GYR model Apollo trumpet. Cool horn. Very efficient and responsive, even at the lowest dynamics. The 6R leadpipe offers a lot of resistance, quite a bit more than a 25. The two-piece 43 bell (gold brass stem, yellow brass flare) still has much of the character of the regular 43 bell. Well worth checking out if you like a really efficient horn and some resistance to push against.

This is interesting - great to hear from someone who has had a hands-on experience with these. I'm struggling a bit with terminology as I typically see efficiency and resistance used as opposites. (Resistance in that case being how much effort one puts into a horn to achieve a given sound pressure at the player's ears, and efficiency being how easily that sound pressure is achieved at the players ears). If you could expand on the context in which you are using these, it would help me understand - and it really sounds like something I would like to understand more fully.

Also: when you say more of the character of the 43 bell, I am assuming, please correct if wrong, that you are speaking to the general trait of the 43 toward a warm Bach core as some people say, with that ability to carry through a space with the more brilliant highs that accompany that core (?)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: