• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece switch!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
natepeck1230@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece switch! Reply with quote

Hello! I’ve been playing lead trumpet for a while now with a beat up Yamaha bobby shew lead that was thrown at me in high school. I made it work really well and consistently got great playing out of it. Recently my professional playing has switched from jazz to orchestral. I primarily play on a 1-1/4C for about 75% of my playing and the Bobby shew isn’t working quite like it used to now that my lips are more used to a bigger cup. Are there any suggestions for a nicer mouthpiece that has the same bite and sound of the Shew with just a little bit bigger sized rim to lessen the gap between the bigger one? Thanks!
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Yamaha Bobby Shew “Jazz” mouthpiece? I believe they are a similar contour, but the jazz is slightly wider and less shallow.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a Curry DE or M. You might start with the 3 rim rather than the 1.25 rim.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but since you mentioned a bigger rim maybe a Bob Reeves 43WES could work for you?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me on occasion. There was a time when most of my playing was done in the wedding band, and at that point, other than playing gigs that were specifically classical in nature, I used my wedding band set - the Warburton 4SVW on a KT backbore.

In the last year or so I've done very little playing on that Warburton setup, and as a result, it's not working great. However, having gone through this a time or two before, I know that I have to set aside the bigger equipment and take my time re-acclimating to the the Warburton. Have you tried that? It might take a few days of doing everything on that mouthpiece before you'll be comfortable using it again.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a compromise rim -- perhaps something in the 3-range that would work for orchestra and lead?

Then you'd figure out a cup and backbore that give you the best results for whatever playing you are doing.

For example, I play on a Pickett 3 rim. I generally use a 3BC cup and an open backbore on my C trumpet, a 3B cup and open backbore on my cornet, and a 3CD cup with a tighter backbore for most of my Bb playing. This makes it really easy to switch between them when practicing or performing.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece switch! Reply with quote

natepeck1230@gmail.com wrote:
Are there any suggestions for a nicer mouthpiece that has the same bite and sound of the Shew with just a little bit bigger sized rim to lessen the gap between the bigger one? Thanks!

Bach 3S Commercial

It has a wider diameter cup, an awesome rim, and a similar sound to the Shew lead.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
maybe try a Marcinkiewicz Bob or Chuck Findley mpc.
Globally in the 1 1/2 C ID park, Bob's being a bit narrower than Chuck's one.
Best
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcinkiewicz E3.1 JWM
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece switch! Reply with quote

the Bobby shew isn’t working quite like it used to now that my lips are more used to a bigger cup.

This happened to me when I started trying different mouthpieces in college. Let me share what worked for me. I found what size rim I like (or around those sizes) and I stuck with that. Up until then I had only tried the normal 7,5,3 C and the similarly sized Yamaha/Schilke pieces. The first ones I started experimenting with was Warburton because it was cheaper to just buy cups on eBay. I did find that while I liked the bigger cup sizes for the sound and comfort, I was sacrificing other aspects of my playing. I tried quite a few others out until I really found my groove with GR mouthpieces. I found out I like a 66 rim. So now I have a 66S (lead), 66C* (symphonic/general), 66FL (flugel). I'm not trying to sell you on a brand, but just share what I found. I like that all the rims feel exactly the same, but the cup is different.

I know that isn't the same for everyone though. Some people feel like an orchestral piece needs to be the biggest you can play on and then a lead piece needs to be a bent dime. My suggestion is to try as many as you can and see what works for you.

P.S. I liked the Wick 4X (Similar diameter) for marching in college for the wide rim. I felt like I had more surface area so it wasn't crammed into my lip as bad.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look over the Vennture Lede fit kit - the LV3 and LC3 specifically might fit your needs. That said it depends on how much intrusion you have now - you might consider putting a 1 1/4C rim on a more efficient cup and having Vennture make it for you. Cookie will print you prototypes in resin for a very reasonable cost (these are giggable, believe me!!) and also - consider looking at the rims and cup profile shapes on VennCAD and perhaps you will identify a shortlist of pieces which suit your needs - informed decisions are the best.

I know Vennture made my mentor a custom piece - I don't know what he settled on in the end, but it was something like a 1C rim on a Warb 3S cup with tweaks to make these profiles play well together.

I went the other way - I had my favourite rim put on a 1 1/4C cup for my classical playing, couple tweaks, and I love it!

Good luck!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece switch! Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
the Bobby shew isn’t working quite like it used to now that my lips are more used to a bigger cup.

I found what size rim I like (or around those sizes) and I stuck with that....I like that all the rims feel exactly the same, but the cup is different... My suggestion is to try as many as you can and see what works for you.

Like trumpet2012fhl, I found a rim that I could base everything else on and stuck with it since 1971! The other components change as my needs change, which is very often these days due to the variety of styles that I am called to play (sometimes several in a single day and occasionally during a single performance). Also, certain setups just work better with specific horns as well. Consistency in rim shape and feel are, at least for me, a requirement that keeps all other things trumpet progressing in an easier and familiar direction.

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: