• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Splitting Up Practice Optimally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Splitting Up Practice Optimally Reply with quote

Hi all, Re-returning player here from a few years back that had tremendous success with the Systematic Approach (as taught to me by Paul Cacia very briefly at the time, he has since retired from all forms of teaching and playing though) and am looking to return to playing now that time has appeared in my schedule.

Having said that... Its not a tremendous amount of time, and Im looking to use it wisely. I really benefitted from the "down routine" and "up routine" previously, and would like to keep those in my daily routine, along with some technical studies.

My question for any of the knowledgeable people on here is what is the best way to split up practicing? On a bad day I may only have enough time to do the down/up routine ... OR I could practice the charts for the band im playing.

On a good day I can do both, but perhaps split up into morning and night time sessions ... Would it be advisable in that case to do the down/up routine in the morning and the charts at night? Or is there really no difference there?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a bad day I may only have enough time to do the down/up routine ... OR I could practice the charts for the band im playing.

Work with a CG teacher if you can. Many of them offer lessons online. Then can help you put together a CG-based routine that meets your needs.

Regarding your specific question, I'd say that your first obligation is to meet your commitment to the group you are playing with. If you need the time to work on those charts, then that is your priority on "bad" days. Of course, if too many days are "bad" days you won't get the full routine in and thus miss out on those benefits. That's where working with a CG teacher will really help. Good luck!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm knowledgeable, but, I studied with John Mohan for awhile and he scaled back the routine for me when I was in a similar situation as you describe. The basic routine as he assigned it consisted of the following:

SA Down Routine
SA Up Routine
A Clarke Study (slurred, single tongued, K tongued, or double tongued)
Several exercises out of Irons 27 Groups
Tonguing exercise from Gordon Tongue Level Exercises book

When I needed to shorten things up his advice was as follows:

Drop the tonguing exercises if needed
Always do the flexibilities
Rotate between a Clarke and systematic approach #2 part 1 and or 2

You can shorten Clarke by rotating between odds or evens
You can shorten exercise #2 by starting on F instead of C in the staff.

Personally, if I had to choose between the up and down exercises, I would always choose down. For me, working through the pedal adds the most value.

Hope this is of some value. Good luck with your comeback.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
Not sure if I'm knowledgeable, but, I studied with John Mohan for awhile and he scaled back the routine for me when I was in a similar situation as you describe. The basic routine as he assigned it consisted of the following:

SA Down Routine
SA Up Routine
A Clarke Study (slurred, single tongued, K tongued, or double tongued)
Several exercises out of Irons 27 Groups
Tonguing exercise from Gordon Tongue Level Exercises book

When I needed to shorten things up his advice was as follows:

Drop the tonguing exercises if needed
Always do the flexibilities
Rotate between a Clarke and systematic approach #2 part 1 and or 2

You can shorten Clarke by rotating between odds or evens
You can shorten exercise #2 by starting on F instead of C in the staff.

Personally, if I had to choose between the up and down exercises, I would always choose down. For me, working through the pedal adds the most value.

Hope this is of some value. Good luck with your comeback.

Thanks thats gives me a lot to consider
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
On a bad day I may only have enough time to do the down/up routine ... OR I could practice the charts for the band im playing.

Work with a CG teacher if you can. Many of them offer lessons online. Then can help you put together a CG-based routine that meets your needs.

Regarding your specific question, I'd say that your first obligation is to meet your commitment to the group you are playing with. If you need the time to work on those charts, then that is your priority on "bad" days. Of course, if too many days are "bad" days you won't get the full routine in and thus miss out on those benefits. That's where working with a CG teacher will really help. Good luck!

That was my thinking as well, I plan to get an instructor as time and money allows also. Thanks for your input
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case it is helpful, I'll add a few ways I have modified the routine over the years to address time constraints. Also, I'll stress that these are my ideas, and your teacher may recommend other approaches more in keeping with CG's teaching or their own experience and your specific needs.

Regarding Systematic Approach, I feel that doing some is better than doing none, so I tried to do all parts of a lesson, even if it meant compressing them. For example, I might combine the first two or three phrases and then do the long hold at the end of the third phrase. For Lesson 3, Part 1, that would look like measure 1, 3 and 5 with a long hold at the end of measure 5. Rest. Measures 7, 9, 11 with a long hold at the end of measure 11. Or I might skip every other phrase, which would look like measure 1, rest, measure 5, rest, measure 9, rest....

For Daily Trumpet Routines, you can go every other line, every other fingering, or every other key (depending on which lesson you are practicing). Just don't always skip the same ones or you might wind up creating gaps in your skills.

For Clarke Technical Studies, you can go every other exercise, and then alternate. You could also combine the exercises, playing two back to back without a repeat as opposed to repeating one and skipping the next. Or you could play first time through as written and second time up or down an octave to cover range quicker.

For the flexibility studies, I prioritized them and avoided skipping them to the extent possible, When really short on time you could skip every other one, skip the repeat, etc.

Again, just my approach when short on time. Good luck!
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Just in case it is helpful, I'll add a few ways I have modified the routine over the years to address time constraints. Also, I'll stress that these are my ideas, and your teacher may recommend other approaches more in keeping with CG's teaching or their own experience and your specific needs.

Regarding Systematic Approach, I feel that doing some is better than doing none, so I tried to do all parts of a lesson, even if it meant compressing them. For example, I might combine the first two or three phrases and then do the long hold at the end of the third phrase. For Lesson 3, Part 1, that would look like measure 1, 3 and 5 with a long hold at the end of measure 5. Rest. Measures 7, 9, 11 with a long hold at the end of measure 11. Or I might skip every other phrase, which would look like measure 1, rest, measure 5, rest, measure 9, rest....

For Daily Trumpet Routines, you can go every other line, every other fingering, or every other key (depending on which lesson you are practicing). Just don't always skip the same ones or you might wind up creating gaps in your skills.

For Clarke Technical Studies, you can go every other exercise, and then alternate. You could also combine the exercises, playing two back to back without a repeat as opposed to repeating one and skipping the next. Or you could play first time through as written and second time up or down an octave to cover range quicker.

For the flexibility studies, I prioritized them and avoided skipping them to the extent possible, When really short on time you could skip every other one, skip the repeat, etc.

Again, just my approach when short on time. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. All good ideas. I also found an outline online from a "youtube trumpeter" Phil Oneil which has a 7 day outline for a 30 minute practice routine that emphasizes different aspects for each day. ie Monday focus on Clark, then Tuesday focus on Flexibility (but still do 5 minutes of clark), Then Wednesday focus on Pedal tones, etc... Each day you hit all 5 aspects but only one of them is the main focus and the other ones are done really quickly to not regress.

I think an approach like that might make sense, maybe taking into consideration the stuff in the CG book and moving the emphasis around each day to hit everything in a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: