• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the best deal you've stumbled upon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadFree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years ago I was bored and staring at instrument listings on Craigslist,and saw "Old Bach Trumpet,$200"
OK so figuring it was probably a student model,I called the guy
who said it had been up in his attic for 20 years and they were getting ready to move..I asked him to describe the horn and he said that it said Stradivarious on it,and he had played it in High school but quit playing and put it in the attic..He lived an hour and a half away, but an hour later, I pulled into his driveway(lol)
to find a MINT 43 lightweight silver in a mint case.Checked the valves and compression,played a few notes,..Forked over the $200 and fled before he changed his mind..Great horn!; That and my Olds Super are my favs to play still.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big C wrote:
Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
I got my Reynolds Argenta this year for roughly the price of a steakhouse dinner for two. Very neat horn. Sounds like my Conn cornet (the entire thing is solid nickel silver, after all), projects like a cannon.

Not trying to one-up you, I swear, but I got my Reynolds Argenta cornet by going through my dad's estate after he passed away. This was the house I grew up in. The oddest thing was, he knew I played trumpet, but never told me about the horn. It was the last thing I got to, in the far corner of the basement.

I'm sorry for your loss. Those Reynolds horns are underappreciated, in my opinion. I'd love to try a Contempora someday.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a potential Committee deal for someone:
https://offerup.com/item/detail/2d18a2d7-5f20-39bc-8cbb-4aac53c2fee5
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade with a long time friend. My '84 Yamaha 6335 that he "borrowed" for more than a decade for the Xeno 8335 RGS in my signature. It (the 8335) was pretty much unused since it got damaged and poorly repaired early in his ownership and got put away for more than 15 years (while he played my 6335). We established a "permanent ownership" agreement upon my taking possession 2 years ago and I immediately shipped it to Jim Becker at Osmun for any necessary tweaks and body work. $600 later, I have an incredible playing, mint in appearance RGS with a PVA and bodywork that is almost impossible to locate and there is something uniquely 'perfect' (sui generis) about a Becker valve adjustment as experienced on this and other horns in my signature! This is an insanely wonderful horn to play (many other colleagues agree)!

Needless to say, my friend wants to trade back...NO WAY, not now or ever (he is a little miffed)! This was and is the original agreement!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend sold me his Super Recording for $500. I told him he could get at least $2500 for it. He said he knew that and he knew how much he paid for it. He played an anniversary Schilke. He also knew that I am an Olds nut. That horn is my main axe.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recorded a jingle in a home studio. There was a beater horn being used to prop a door open. I was a young guy and I was a Benge player and only knew that Mt. Vernon Bachs were like a Holy Grail. To my disappointmemt when I looked at it I saw that it was a Bach Stradivarius made in NY. I was disappointed despite the four digit serial number on the valve casing. I offered the owner $100 which was my fee for the session. I eventually got educated on my purchase. Post restoration by Charlie Melk and an MTV MV pipe and valve job at Anderson's I ended up with #5391 a superb M bore #37 bell 1941 Strad that plays amazingly. I should have bought lottery tickets that day.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
A friend sold me his Super Recording for $500. I told him he could get at least $2500 for it. He said he knew that and he knew how much he paid for it. . . . He also knew that I am an Olds nut.

That is what I call a good friend.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
blownchops

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few,

1. Mt.V Bach 43 bell for $200 on craigslist, had to drive 2 hours through a torrential thunderstorm. Sent some pics to some folks before starting the ride back home and flipped it for a substantial gain before I got home.

2. King 2b trombone with the loopy engraving for $25 at a electronics/hobby shop that had a sort of pawn shop deal going on.

3. An unlacquered Yamaha 6335H for $100 from a yard sale. This was a superb horn I wish I could get back.

4. Bach 42B trombone for $250 at a pawn shop.

5.1999 Fender MIA jazz bass with seymour duncan pickups for $400 from an estate sale

I have also found several bach 37s and 43s from facebook marketplace or craigslist in the $5-600 range that I sell to students.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a small town farm kid in the 1950's and 60's, we only went "to the city" (Lubbock, TX) twice each year. Once for the Fair in September, and for Christmas shopping after Thanksgiving. Dad was pretty cautious about spending (but it made him successful) but he really loved going to equipment auctions, and I was always happy to ride along and occasionally get an old bicycle or something interesting.

Once when we were in a nearby town in New Mexico with a lot of petroleum business, looking for tools for the farm at an auction, Dad stopped at a Pawn Shop (my first) to look around on the way out.

At that time, I was playing in band on my Olds cornet, in my freshman year, and found an Olds Super trumpet in the shop, long and sleek and tarnished nearly black raw brass, in the rather sulphurous atmosphere of the oil field. I think it was probably $30 after I did a bit of haggling.

A bit of Brasso, elbow grease, and old rags had it looking pretty cool, but it never really lost that oilfield aroma. But it sounded GREAT! I mainly used it for marching, it would cut right up to the press box! I traded it down on my first new Strad 37 a few years later.

Anyway, the result of that first "deal", the sense of triumph for a find, has created in me an incredible thirst for the hunt. I have owned probably nearly a thousand instruments over the years..

I have only gotten worse, but I am fortunate that my wife is tolerant, and the internet let's me keep cycling through my acquisitions. I have to say that I constantly expect that my greatest find is going to be the next one.

I know I will never be the best trumpet player, but I just keep hoping I will get the best trumpet to play. I may not deserve it, but at the right deal, I can still own it!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I've played trumpet for 45 years, and guitar for 40. But I've spent a lot more of that time looking for vintage guitar deals. I've probably bought and sold close to 50 guitars over the year. But they have gotten crazy expensive: gone are the days of finding a $250 pawn shop '63 Fender Jaguar. Everyone and their uncle knows old Fenders and Gibsons are $$$$. But over the pandemic I got interested in older trumpets, and the deals are out there. I guess a lot fewer people play the trumpet, and so a lot fewer pickers and flippers driving up the prices.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently found a Kanstul Besson 609 for under $100 for a friend looking to start playing the trumpet. The owner claimed it was a UK horn, even though it clearly said 'USA' on the bell. After a good clean it turned out to be quite a good player.

My Olds Recording though...now that was a deal of a lifetime. I bought it from my former teacher, to whom I'm still immensely grateful, for far less than it's worth and it plays much better than I deserve.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
tstangel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found 2 steals in the past 4 years both of which have been found on Facebook marketplace.

The first one being an LA olds Super in Amazing shape for only $100
The second being a 1940 Conn 48a Vocabell also in amazing shape for $150

Both of which I still have and play quite often
1930 Martin troubadour
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1974 vintage Bach 37 in great condition (unlaquered) and a STUNNING player for 400 bucks.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I found a Craigslist ad for a Signature Bb trumpet for $200.

It turned out to be a later model Signature 2000 LA model. I did not try to knock the price down, and paid the full asking price. This had been on my list of trumpets to try since the mid 1980's.

I own way too many fine trumpets, and have a great selection of instruments to choose from. (Bach, Benge, Schilke, Marcinkiewicz, Conn, Holton, Getzen, etc.) This Signature 2000 is my go-to Bb for almost everything. It is my favorite playing horn.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not as good as some deals here...but bought my Schilke used but in great shape-
has treated me very well for years. Paid for itself, most definitely!
cdgunter11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 2001 Getzen 700 EternaII with a Bach 3c mouthpiece at a pawn shop in Grand Haven, MI for $85. Perfect condition.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best deal I got was my 1966 H.N. White King Silver Flair I got from Salvation army. I won the bid for 375.00. Its pretty much in mint condition. I did get new finger buttons, well original finger buttons from H.N. White.

1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly deals to be had if you know what you are looking at and your timing is good. I went on a search to find a couple of used trumpets about 8 years ago when my daughter said she and a couple of friends decided they wanted to play trumpets in the 6th grade band. I needed one for her and one for me. I researched the various trumpet loyalist web sites to I had an idea what was I was looking at. I found a used Besson trumpet listed on Ebay for $499. The photos showed it was a Kanstul French Besson Classic b-flat with a Najoom pipe. It was my very first Ebay purchase ever and I didn't know how the bidding worked so I bid $499. My heart was pounding as the seconds ticked off. I was the only bidder. It came in excellent condition. no dents, no scratches, outrageous valves, an extra set of heavy bottom valve caps, a certificate of inspection signed by Dennis Najoom, in a Kanstul double horn case. About a year later I saw another Besson trumpet listed on Ebay listed as old stock, unused condition, buy now for $750. The photos showed it was a Kanstul French Besson Classic C trumpet with a Najoom pipe. I snatched it up on the spot so now I have a matched set. I picked up a Conn off of ebay thinking it could be ok for my daughter. It looked like crap in the photos but was listed for less than $100 so what the heck. It was a 1947 NY Symphony 22b, no dents, with terrific valves. I took the lacquer off so it's now raw brass. Lots of fun to play. Alas it wasn't shiny enough for her and the bottom valve springs were a turn off. I found a 1930's Martin Handcrafted Standard that I got off of Ebay cheap. It looked neat but needed a valve job so I flipped it. The previous owner of my Olds horn was told by her church band director that she needed a better horn so she listed it on Craigs List as an unnamed Olds Trumpet for $125. I spoke to her on the phone and asked her what was engraved on the bell. She said just Olds. I asked her what the serial number was assuming that it was one of the newer student models. She said 37117. Bingo! I asked her if the serial number was engraved on the bell. She said yes, right next to "Custom Crafted by F.E. Olds". I drove right over and bought it. Usual lacquer wear, no dents and good valves, but the valve pads were way too thick. No wonder it played like crap. She used the money for a down payment on a Bach student horn. Got a PVA and now it plays like a dream. I ended up getting a Holton R602R from Sam Ash for $250 that was shiny enough for my daughter. After she quit band, I traded it with a very nice Besson 10-10 trombone that I found at a local goodwill (for $100) at local instrument exchange for a mint condition Benge 3 flugelhorn. It's a UMI horn but it plays just fine. I got my 1948 Chicago Benge at a local Estate Sales a few months ago. It wasn't cheap at $1,000, but I couldn't pass on a Chicago Benge in such great condition. Sometimes the hunt is more fun than the end game.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Deals Reply with quote

I found an Olds super recording cornet in a music shop that I traded a Bundy trumpet and $200 for. I found an Olds Mendez for $45 at Goodwill once. The cashier warned me that this item was non returnable. I told her that wasn’t going to be a problem. I got a Olds recording cornet for $75 at an antique show. Years ago I got up one Saturday morning, opened the classifieds and saw a NY Bach for $360. I rushed over there and bought it. Found out his middle schooler was using it for marching band. At another antique show I found a 1930s Bach Apollo for cheap. Not a great horn but king of cool. My favorite was an EBay purchase. Advertised simply as a Reynolds trumpet it turned out to be a 1936 sterling silver bell model with a gold plated body with the original case and mouthpiece also gold plated. I think I got that one for around $200. I remember my wife being ticked off because I had bought Another trumpt
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me personally, but my dad found my first trumpet in the classified ads (back when that was a thing).

Mt. Vernon Bach 43. $200. The funny part was my dad didn't know anything about trumpets. It was just dumb luck. I used it all through HS and college. Eventually sold it here in the marketplace after I got my Powell horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: