• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece transducer/pick up for amplification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece transducer/pick up for amplification Reply with quote

Hi,

this is a mixed post with some thoughts and some questions.

First is the counter intuitive nature of the trumpet amplification via a mouthpiece pick up, the concept is very complex and defies my basic understanding. How does a pick up installed on the backbore of the mouthpiece picks and captures the whole sound, tone, etc of the trumpet?????

I understand the mouthpiece is key in sound production, but the resistance of the instrument provide the harmonic series and the resonance/material etc provide for the "color" or particular sound of the instrument. Then I ask again how does the pick up capture the whole sound???

Have you folks had experience with Piezo Barrel pick up, can you describe if the sound captured by the device/amplifier is similar to the sound of the trumpet without it?

thanks, regards.

Joe
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone perform or record using a mouthpiece pickup. I have seen players use a mouthpiece pickup for effects.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen and heard pick-ups from the mouthpiece but they were in conjunction with special electronic effects on the horn. But I haven't seen them in a long time and only sparsely. Must be a reason they fell out of vogue.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
WestCoastTpt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: piezo barrel Reply with quote

I have had a chance to play a piezo barrel mounted on a trumpet mouthpiece from PiezoBarrel themselves.
I ran it through fx pedals.
The sound of the pick-up alone is a brass-like tone more than it is a trumpet tone.
My approach is the piezo is for the fx tones and ill run a dry mic regular to pick up the tone of the tpt.
I dont use it much any more because my horn requires a special mouthpiece that im not willing to drill into.
With the order, PB includes a few extra usable parts to drill into your mp of choice, a long 1/4" instrument to 3/8" aux (plugs into pickup) cable
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1967 I was a college student and heard Clark Terry’s Album, “It’s What’s Happenin- The Varitone Sound of Clark Terry”. I wanted to experiment with the sound options and was able to afford the microphone pick up in my back bore, but not the Varitone device. I built my own fuzz tone, echo device, reverberator and a few other devices from “Lafayette Kits”, which would act like pedals. They could vary in what order in series they were placed and changed the sound that was outputted.
The following are links to some of Clark Terry’s recordings using this pickup and Varitone Device. The last link is more information about the Varitone, a product of the Selmer Corporation.

https://youtu.be/0fEor7TqXA0

https://youtu.be/9-FNHRda4Mo

https://youtu.be/YeKMSHGUUMQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varitone
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone perform or record using a mouthpiece pickup. I have seen players use a mouthpiece pickup for effects.

There are photos of Miles using one.

The first photo in this article has him with one.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/miles-daviss-boldest-heights
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the input (no pun intended), this topic has me hyped up, that picture of Miles and the recordings of Clark Terry are killer, Miles is like the Beetles when you hear something and you think it is "modern" or new and a couple of days later you hear Miles or the beetles and they did it and did it better many years before.

Regarding the equipment side of things, this is a blackhole!! I thought that mouthpiece safari was too much but man, searching for the right electric effects and sound gear is crazy. I started slow, kind of dipping toes on water, but I got a shopping spree and got myself few pedals and a huge amount of accesories (cables, adapters, etc) and with each you get you realize you need another to connect/adapt/keep the signal clean.

My list of gear right now is as follows: 1. Cry Baby Wah Pedal (2 hand), 2. Mxr delay pedal (2 hand), 3. eventide H9 multieffect pedal (on trial 2 hand). 4 good ol' shure SM57, 5. borrowed fender amp 30 w, 6. cables and stuff.

According to my own "youtube" safari I am missing a funky pedal such as an evelope phaser, a pre amp and maybe a Piezo BArrel pick up. The idea around the Piezo Barrel is I can install it on a AR resonance back bore (same I use today) and keep my bronze top the same. I saw a post of Jedi J.Landress of one he installed and It sure looked neat.

What is your junk?

cheers.

Joe.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few mouthpiece pickups myself for fun. It's not a terribly complicated circuit, but the cost of a Piezo Barrel is so little that it's not really worth the trouble unless you really like to tinker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: